Check your long term shelves when you check your stored food

The pasta absorbs the liquid out of the 'sauce' and congeals. While the resultant can could be considered 'edible', it wouldn't be considered 'palatable'.

This is what they look like about 3 years past expiration.View attachment 451346
opened a 4yr can this morning, tossed it in a bowl and microwaved it. Similar to what you said, the pasta was chewy...you could eat it, but you'd need to force it down. Have to rethink this on the Chef stuff. Thanks

opened a 4yr can this morning, tossed it in a bowl and microwaved it. Similar to what you said, the pasta was chewy...you could eat it, but you'd need to force it down. Have to rethink this on the Chef stuff. Thanks

the freeze dried meat from be prepared is pretty decent. Espeacilly in a soup or chili.

I used to shy away because it was on the expensive side but after throwing out a ton of dinty moore stew for the same kind of reasons above I think it’s worth it.

3/10
Sorry OP, that sucks, but you get what you pay for.
shoulda known.
I stack nothing but paper towels and toilet paper on plastic shelves.
<poke> [wink]

Timely topic!

Earlier tonight I found a quart jar of spaghetti sauce with meatballs that I pressure-canned 12/2014.

The seal is sound. I'm certain it's still food safe. Ain't no way in hell that I'm eating it. It will go into the Friday morning trash pickup.

I buy the metal shelving from Home Depot then I put 3/4 plywood in for the shelves. It's about $150 per shelf to do this, but they are sturdy.

Same. This works great and I'm storing a ton of cans on these. Zero sag. The key is dumping the particleboard and replacing it with 3/4 inch plywood

Last edited:
I would recommend building custom 2x4 and 3/4 ply shelves, but the price of wood is still insane.
we used to have a whole bunch of shelves built out of cinder blocks and 3/4 plywood. holds a lot of weight and can be easily customized for any space. And no tools to put together or pull apart (other than cutting the plywood) when/if you move. We had them in closets and garage spaces alike.

Timely topic!

Earlier tonight I found a quart jar of spaghetti sauce with meatballs that I pressure-canned 12/2014.

The seal is sound. I'm certain it's still food safe. Ain't no way in hell that I'm eating it. It will go into the Friday morning trash pickup.
Why? I have food I canned in 2011 I still eat.

Why? I have food I canned in 2011 I still eat.
Because no one else in the house would have eaten it.

It was the last of a batch I made that year (I bought a bunch of Roma tomatoes on clearance).

When I opened it, it smelled wonderful. Meatballs, sliced olives, onions... it all looked good.

Tomatoes and meat are risky to can, but I did this one right.

I still tossed it. My lovely bride is on a low-carb diet.

I have been buying wood out of the cull pile at Home Depot and local lumber yards for years, a split 16' 2x10 becomes a sound 10' 2x10 for pennies on the dollar (store and yard dependent), some places think their trash is gold. Combine this with Frugal Fannies concrete bocks above and you have shelves that will hold anything and are very stable. I also buy 1x12 pine at a local sawmill for about $.60 a foot that after drying is strong and a very versatile material. I made shelving in the basement out of nothing but the 1x12 that are anchored to the ceiling that will hold whatever I put on them, used a lot of leftover scraps from sheathing a shed on that project. Don't want to be critical but I couldn't bring myself to buy plastic shelves for anything, never mind long term food storage.

we have ones like these in our pantry.. no sag at all

and this one in our basement.. again.. no issues at all. I think it comes with MDF as shelving.. has been fine for our cleaning supplies

both going on at least 12 yrs in our current house..

I also built shelving for bankers boxes out of 2x4s and plywood.. these are working well, but are not subject to the same weights as the pantry/basement shelving.
I have been using the top ones in my garage for light storage. Transmissions cylinder heads of course bottom self is for steel mill crates of lead. These are better than plastic or ones with particle board shelves. I do have particle board ones and steel shelf ones wish I stuck to the wire rack ones thru out my house

I have been using the top ones in my garage for light storage. Transmissions cylinder heads of course bottom self is for steel mill crates of lead. These are better than plastic or ones with particle board shelves. I do have particle board ones and steel shelf ones wish I stuck to the wire rack ones thru out my house
I bought a pair from HD last year; their clips were awful. The Amazon ones I've been running for 5+ years were much better. I have no memory of where I bought the others I have that are 10+ years old, but they really do hold up well.

Back
Top Bottom