Choosing Between Two .38 Special +P Cartridges For Defense

A family member gave me a couple of boxes of .38 +P and I'm going to keep some for my home defense rounds. More specifically, I'm going to fill three speed loaders for a total of 18 rounds and probably just fire the rest at the range or trade them for some target ammo. I'll keep the speedloaders handy in my house for that time that will probably (and hopefully) never come.

From what I've read I think the "better" of these two is the Federal but was just wondering what your opinion is. The Winchester is (50) rounds and the Federal is (20) rounds. I read an article that mentioned this Federal specifically as being a good critical defense round. Lighter bullet won't penetrate through target and into walls with people sleeping behind them etc...

The firearm is a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum 4" with adjustable rear sights.

If you had to keep one which would it be?

IMG_0261_844x633_zps05f17dae.jpg

IMG_0262_844x633_zpsc78c8c94.jpg

Just keep 'em both, you can never have too much ammo. Both are going to perform when you need them and wall penetration depends on a lot of variables, not just bullet weight.

Posted from my car phone.

A well placed shot with the lesser effective round will always be more devastating than a miss with the more effective one.

Keep it all, and go to the range and practice.

They are both perfectly acceptable defensive rounds.

My reasoning behind getting rid of one of them is that I've already got some "regular" .38 and .357 to use for practice and it's kind of a waste to shoot this stuff into paper. But it's also a waste to have it sitting around, which it will likely do as defensive ammo. So I figure keep a few for the house and let someone else keep the rest for their house. Yes I'm thinking too much but that's what I do [thinking] . I'm also just curious about which is best just to know. I like learning about this stuff...

Actually, now that I think of it I have my .38 loaded with Hydra-Shok's as I type!

Hmm, I was thinking about getting a small .357 to carry so I could use the ammo for that too. I had an SP101 in my hand today, which was the first gun I ever owned over 20 years ago, but didn't want to lay down $500 for it. Still curious about the difference between the two rounds if any.

The HS is lighter and faster. Thus "should" expand more. The Winchester is heavier and is also "subsonic" thus by nature is slower. With round nose ammo, I prefer heavy ammo.

Honestly, both will do the job if you do yours (placement).

As a side note, I have two speedloaders for this gun, on has another 5 Hydra-shoks, and the second has full metal jacket. I figure this gives me the choice if I need to go through any barricades.

My friend....my opinion the more self defense ammo you have the better. You got it for free so I'd just load it into your home defense gun fill the speed loaders as you said and KEEP THE REST STORED you know......"for a rainy day". But.....good choice using .38+p for a home defense gun in a .357 magnum.......full magnums are gonna give a hell of a muzzle blast in the dark! Load the .357 mags for when you are out and about.

I'll add my 2 cents to this comment from you though:
Lighter bullet won't penetrate through target and into walls with people sleeping behind them etc...

There is never a "guarantee" that a hollow point round no matter what the grain/velocity/design won't over penetrate.......and you know if you miss the intended target you better be sure what's behind it. I have already mapped out my house in my head and have "no fire zones" in my head as to if BG is in my house and what areas not to fire toward because of bedrooms in the backdrop. I suggest you do the same. Just some advice.

But.....Keep that ammo IMO

Last edited:
as a thought load the last chamber with a full house 357 round like the federal sjhp 125 gr. unless you are concerned with overpenetration on shot number 6, by then everybody in your family should be kissing the floor. [mg]

Last edited:
I've been reading that both of these are old "technology" and there are better defensive rounds available now. If I had to guess he's had these things in his house since the mid to late 90's. Maybe it's time to send them down the pipe and move on...

Good call! I second the Cor-Bon for SD/HD use, btw: it's all I ever carried and shot out of my Taurus 85 that I carried for a few years.

Good call! I second the Cor-Bon for SD/HD use, btw: it's all I ever carried and shot out of my Taurus 85 that I carried for a few years.

I load the revolvers with cor bon 38+p for home defense and when I'm out and about I load the revolver with remington golden sabers in .357 mag.

A well placed shot with the lesser effective round will always be more devastating than a miss with the more effective one.

Keep it all, and go to the range and practice.

They are both perfectly acceptable defensive rounds.

Yep been there as well, don't sweat the quality ammo choices, practice more

Back
Top Bottom