Cleaning Brushes

UFO

I am reluctant to use anything other than cotton or nylon when cleaning. When brushes are packaged "Nylon, Blue Nylon and Bronze"...is there a guideline as to what material each is for? Or is it just hardness and use as needed?

I use nylon and bronze core brushes. If there is some tenacious fouling, I use a new bronze brush. If it's mostly powder fowling I use the nylon brush to carry the solvent into the bore. I don't think either can harm the bore if used correctly. Hit the bronze brushes with break cleaner after use and they will last a lot longer. I also avoid the bronze brush if I'm using a copper solvent as it will eat it very quickly.

I would avoid stainless brushes.

B

I do what bpm990d does. I use a bronze brush and lead solvent if I've been shooting cast bullets and a nylon brush and copper solvent if I've been shooting plated or jacketed. I also use a Lewis Lead Remover and I often use boresnakes, especially in .22 rimfire and centerfire(.223/5.56)

Bore brush material can also be determined by the barrel maker. I shoot a lot of lead and need an aggressive SS bore brush to remove the fouling. Barsto is the only barrel maker I know of that will warrantee their barrels against this sort of abuse.

Back
Top Bottom