cleaning brushes

I noticed a different type of cleaning brush at the store that is spiraled and looks like a gas grill cleaning brush. It was made of a metal other than the copper ones I've been using.

Anyone use these instead of the traditional copper cleaning brushes and are they safe for the bore? I really don't know how easy it is to scratch or ruin a barrel lining and don't want to find out.

don't know exactly what you are talking about. just did a google on gas grille brushes and they look like giant tooth brushes. look at it like this, if it has a reputable name attached to it, hoppes, kleen bore, pro-shot, etc, they're not going to damage their hard earned credibility selling you something that's going to damage your guns bore.

Yes, icyclefar, that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the replies, maybe I'll try them. The copper brushes tend to lose bristles when they wear out and I don't want them getting into places they shouldn't.

Was just curious/concerned about the type of metal they are constructed of. I don't know what it takes to scratch a bore.

They recommend using this type for grills for the same reason. People have gotten bristles from their grill brushes stuck in their throats and internals when they come loose and stick to food.

I really like that style brush for my smooth bore shotgun barrels.

It is the best for cleaning out the plastic build up from wads.

Never really found the need for them in a rifled barrel, however if I had a barrel that was heavily leaded, I'd probably start with a tornado brush first.

Spiral wound (tornado) brushes won't get into the corners of conventionally rifled barrels, so your going to need bristles to get the complete job done.

Sounds like what he is talking about. I have used them and they are pretty good.

I got a sweet deal on a Herter's gun cleaning kit in the bargain cave at the new Cabelas the other days because the handle on the case was broken. [smile] Nice kit and I couldn't pass it up for the money.
View attachment 136536

I have used these brushes and found them to be inferior to the tried and true bristle type.

Some of the solvents used in rifle bores are designed to dissolve copper. The stainless brushes make sense if you use that type of solvent.

I noticed a different type of cleaning brush at the store that is spiraled and looks like a gas grill cleaning brush. It was made of a metal other than the copper ones I've been using.

Anyone use these instead of the traditional copper cleaning brushes and are they safe for the bore? I really don't know how easy it is to scratch or ruin a barrel lining and don't want to find out.

Think about it a little. Barrels are not "hard" steel but not "soft" either. We put a projectile down the bore moving at 800fps of more with hot gases that I can only imagine can get into the 1000' range ?
Yet we worry about damaging a rifle bore..... some time ago the garand Collectors Association did a cleaning rod damage test on barrel deliberately rubbing the steel cleaning rod on the crown. I will try and find the link. It will surprise most.
I like any brush that does not deteriorate quickly with bore cleaners. I don't use brushes often.
Those spiral or tornado brushes work great on shotgun barrels and plastic build up from wads.

I though most traditional bristle brushes are bronze, not copper, so using copper solvent is not a problem. I use these mostly and have only really had problems with certain stupidly cheap ones that wore out or fell apart quickly. The nylon/plastic brushes are also ok but can vary wildly in quality, again mostly stupidly cheap ones were nfg. I too like the spiral brush for shotguns. I also don't like the aluminum cleaing rods but do like most others.

I though most traditional bristle brushes are bronze, not copper, so using copper solvent is not a problem. I use these mostly and have only really had problems with certain stupidly cheap ones that wore out or fell apart quickly. The nylon/plastic brushes are also ok but can vary wildly in quality, again mostly stupidly cheap ones were nfg. I too like the spiral brush for shotguns. I also don't like the aluminum cleaing rods but do like most others.

I have had problems with bronze cleaning brushes in my AR, but it was my fault. I used to either immerse the brushes in solvent prior to scrubbing the bore or squirt bore cleaner on them prior to use. Treated in this manner, they wore out very quickly. Now I only apply the solvent to patches that I then run through the bore and then scrub with a brush. This way the brushes aren't exposed to as much solvent and last much longer.

Think about it a little. Barrels are not "hard" steel but not "soft" either. We put a projectile down the bore moving at 800fps of more with hot gases that I can only imagine can get into the 1000' range ?
Yet we worry about damaging a rifle bore..... some time ago the garand Collectors Association did a cleaning rod damage test on barrel deliberately rubbing the steel cleaning rod on the crown. I will try and find the link. It will surprise most.
I like any brush that does not deteriorate quickly with bore cleaners. I don't use brushes often.
Those spiral or tornado brushes work great on shotgun barrels and plastic build up from wads.

Some barrel bores can be damaged. Some pistol barrel makers warn against using SS bristle bore brushes. Barsto makes mention of this fact when they promote their barrels which they guarantee against this practice.

Back
Top Bottom