Cleaning

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Guys, I'm looking for what you guys use to clean an AR barrel. I'm having a very difficult time finding a rod and jag that will push a .22 patch through the barrel.

What's everyone using?

Tony,

I use a bore snake for the most part. That seems to do most of the work especially if I use it on the range right after I finish shooting for the day.

For a rod I use the Dewey rods. They are coated and seem to hold up well.

FPrice said:
Tony,

I use a bore snake for the most part. That seems to do most of the work especially if I use it on the range right after I finish shooting for the day.

For a rod I use the Dewey rods. They are coated and seem to hold up well.

Thanks for the info. I won't use a bore snake for match rifle, though. I need a rod, jag and patch combo that will actually go through the bore. I think Dewey is a rod I need to get.

I use a Dewey rod and jag with a round patch for my match AR and '03. For the others I'll use a bore snake for a quick post range cleaning. For any thorough cleaning I'll use a Dewey rod on thoses as well.

CD

Tony:

If for a Service Rifle, I got a Dewey 36" rod/jag and Butch's patches (1,000 in a bag) and Butch's Bore Shine/Gun Oil and that works quickly and does a fine job with only a few patches (6-7 after about 250 rounds down the bore). It's a bit stiff at first, but I use a cradle and AR-15 link/bore guide, so it's straight through and after about a dozen trips through the bore, it's easier to make a pass. Go to the Sinclair site and you can get all the AR-15 doo-dads you might ever need (I know cause I bought 'em all) for cleaning/maintenance. They ship right away and I get my stuff from Ohio to MA in two days... Prices are OK as well.

Jon Frost

I'll second what Jon says, especially as far as Butch's Bore Shine goes. Leave that stuff soak in your bore for 20 minutes or so and it cleans up real well with a minimun of effort. I'll run a patch w/ Ballistol down the bore followed by dry one to finish the job.
Sinclair has always given good service for me as well.
CJC

I use a Dewey SS rod and brass jag. You'll have to reduce the diameter of t he back half of the jag to get the patches you use to fit properly.

I also use Shooter's Choice, and Sweet's as needed.

Back
Top Bottom