Coal as a primary fuel source

GaryO

NES Member
Does anybody have any info on new coal fired warm air furnaces? Cost, where to purchase, set up?

Thanks
GaryO

I heard an add for anthracite fired furnaces on the 96.9 yesterday. They've become an economical choice apparently given the cost of home heating oil.

1-40 pound bag heats my 2200 sq ft for 2 days or so. When I say heats, I mean 20 outside and we're in shorts with windows open. My bedroom will get to about 75 degrees

I had a coal stove back in the 80s,Used it to heat a small 6 room cape.Ifound it to be a lot of work,and very dirty. I had to have a supply of hardwood to start a fire ,heat the chimney,get a draft going ,slowly add the coal [you dont want explosive coal gas ], this after I shook down the chinkers. It would take twenty min. A wood stove takes five min. Stay away from coal,and make sure about your entire winter supply.

I’ve been thinking about installing a burner like the one mentioned above myself. But the coal stove we used at my parents house in the 80s was great. I forget the name of the stove but it heated a 1600 sq ft house to the high 70’s all winter long for the cost of 3 tons of coal. I never figured out how to get it cooler but I think we had a bigger stove than we really needed. We’d feed it twice a day but that only took 5 min including shaking out the ash. It was very clean. We kept our coal bin in the basement and it was vented to the outside so there were no dust or gas problems. My understanding now is the coal is pre-bagged. I haven’t decided if that’s a good thing yet but I guess if I keep it in a bin it won’t make a difference.

Starting it was a chore and took an hour to do but once it was going it would burn all winter long. I only remember it going out once in the 10 years we used it. I guess that’s not an issue now that you can use the oil burner to get things going on the Yukon eagle stoves.

There has been an advertiser for coal stoves on WTKK on the weekends claiming that coal is cheaper than either gas or oil. The stoves are automatic and will go for 3 days on a 40lb bag of pre washed coal. Unfortunately I didn't get the company's name.

We heated with nugget coal for years, a lot less work than wood. Does not smell pleasant like a nice wood fire and can be bad for some that are sensitive breathing wise. Great way to heat a large area, do have to empty ash pan more often than wood. It is an acquired skill but once you get the hang of it no problem. A hundred years ago the smaller members of the family were responsible for keeping them fed and going.

I had a coal stove back in the 80s,Used it to heat a small 6 room cape.Ifound it to be a lot of work,and very dirty. I had to have a supply of hardwood to start a fire ,heat the chimney,get a draft going ,slowly add the coal [you dont want explosive coal gas ], this after I shook down the chinkers. It would take twenty min. A wood stove takes five min. Stay away from coal,and make sure about your entire winter supply.

Better yet, stay away from technology that's been obsolete for 20+ years. [wink]

Ken

Why do people use coal.All I do when I am cold is call my cop buddies up and they all tazer my furnace in unison and I get heat.

It sounds like a lot of you are talking about coal STOVES, and not FURNACES. I have an oil fired STEAM boiler, which is OK, but getting older. I am wondering if when it gets replaced, I should consider coal. Then I start to wonder if I should do this sooner rather than wait. Maybe I can get a coal boiler AND the coal for the price of just the oil this year.

Edit: Just did a quick Google:

They even have their own forum!
Anthracite Coal Forum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom