• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just picked up a Power station

I just picked up a VTOMAN Jump1000 power station from Amazon. I charged it yesterday and used it last night for the first time. I powered my cpcp machine all night, and it only used about 5% of the stored energy. It takes about 7 hours to charge it from the wall outlet. I just ordered the solar panel set up direct from VTOMAN, they have a sale going on for the next few days, its even cheaper than Amazon, if you set up an account and use the $50 code. The panels charge it in about 8-12 hours from a dead start. But if you are only topping it off, it should be a lot quicker. I will update this post if I find any issues with it. I did use a 12 volt adapter for the cpap because it is a lot more efficient, I found that out from a youtube video. It does not have to use the AC inverter which burns extra power.

I had been looking at that (the 1800 model) to use with the RV for boondocking and backup around the house. (I know the coffee maker will drain it in a hot minute, but my wife just needs enough power to make 2 cups when we boondock in the RV, so the unit will deliver that and still have enough for the other incidentals. Did it come with the adapter to jump start? I couldn't tell if it was an add-on, or if it's included (I see it has the port for it) I had their portable jumpstarter and loved it. (lent it and it grew legs)

I had been looking at that (the 1800 model) to use with the RV for boondocking and backup around the house. (I know the coffee maker will drain it in a hot minute, but my wife just needs enough power to make 2 cups when we boondock in the RV, so the unit will deliver that and still have enough for the other incidentals. Did it come with the adapter to jump start? I couldn't tell if it was an add-on, or if it's included (I see it has the port for it) I had their portable jumpstarter and loved it. (lent it and it grew legs)
No, you have to buy the jump start separately. Make sure if you look at amazon, there is a box to check that gives you like a $120 or so discount. Also, the manufacturer site has a sale going on that was better than amazon. Plus if you register as a new user, they give you a $50 code to use, and I was able to get the VS220 solar panels for about 100 cheaper than amazon. I have not got them yet though.

If you are going to use the jump starter, make sure you know how heavy the unit is. My Jump1000 has to be almost 40 pounds. Its like carrying a deep cell battery, which I guess it is. The larger one, must be even heavier.

I was expecting that, having moved the batteries I use in the RV and elsewhere. Hopefully during the season, I won't be moving them too often. Not sure how long the cables are for the panels (or if they sell extensions), but if I can get them long enough, I can leave it in the RV, and not have to move it out to put it near the panels.

And figured out how to get 1,000 miles out of an ev

View attachment 794192
I love the concept
Not mocking but....
With all the money spent on parts, supplies, batteries
And power ratio
In it's lifetime, A genni would be cheaper....
I’ve been keeping my eye on different power banks for a while now. I have a couple older ones that work ok for charging phones and laptops, but they don’t hold a charge very long if you don’t use it right away.

That kind of defeats the purpose since you have to plan for power outages and have a fresh charge in the bank.

My jetboil stove boils 2 cups of water in about a minute, and packs up with fuel really small.

When I hear power station I think of this song, and this video, and the chick in it shaving her armpit.
Seriously, I've been considering sonething like this but I balk at the idea of no name Chinese electronics that can burn my house down.

View: https://youtu.be/Hw1t7OCESUw?si=nELsmBqKwTIK30cY

My jetboil stove boils 2 cups of water in about a minute, and packs up with fuel really small.
I had one/something like that when we used to camp, and when I showed it to her got a 'what the hell am I going to do with that?' (about the same response as suggesting boiling water on the stove or instant *laugh*

I finally got a chance to try the VTOMAN VS220 solar panels charging the Jump1000. I picked up a 20' extension cord and have the panels on my deck, the Jump1000 is inside. When it gets full sun it was charging with 150-170 watts. Its a 200 watt panel. I do have a lot of trees partially shading it at times and when its partially shaded it only puts out about 25-50 watts. It does work though. If I wanted to place them out on the lawn in full sun, it would charge the jump1000 back up pretty quick.

It is definitely better to charge it back up every day or every other day, rather than letting it run all the way down to say 25%. This way it will not take that long to get it up to a full charge.

I found that using a CPAP machine with a 12 volt power cord burned only about 5% of the fully charged battery. I also tried it with a fully charged battery using the AC power cord plugged into the AC outlets that use the inverter and then it used about 12% of the charge. So, if I use the 12 volt power cord for my cpap I could get over 2 weeks without recharging. If I used the AC cord I would get less than one week. So the AC inverter does draw more power. If you have the ability to use the 12 volt port, you can get a lot more usage on a charge.

I ended up getting one after this post during their sale (Jump1800 with solar panels (220w). Was lighter then I expected it. Got to use it this weekend for my town's Haunted Walk. We had a number of lights and a projector running for our halloween display, probably for 5 hours (the last two were just lights so I could break things down). Probably used 20%. Was going to plug it in, and figured I'd test the solar panels. Just stood them up in the driveway, and when I checked a while later, fully charged (should have monitored to see just how quickly). Over all, very pleased with the performance and waiting to use it on an RV trip off grid end of the month. Tempted to get the additional battery, but will wait on that. Want to test it with the pellet stove once we fire it up to see how it handles it. @jimaok1961 where did you pick up the extension cord for the panels? I asked them but they said they didn't sell them.

I ended up getting one after this post during their sale (Jump1800 with solar panels (220w). Was lighter then I expected it. Got to use it this weekend for my town's Haunted Walk. We had a number of lights and a projector running for our halloween display, probably for 5 hours (the last two were just lights so I could break things down). Probably used 20%. Was going to plug it in, and figured I'd test the solar panels. Just stood them up in the driveway, and when I checked a while later, fully charged (should have monitored to see just how quickly). Over all, very pleased with the performance and waiting to use it on an RV trip off grid end of the month. Tempted to get the additional battery, but will wait on that. Want to test it with the pellet stove once we fire it up to see how it handles it. @jimaok1961 where did you pick up the extension cord for the panels? I asked them but they said they didn't sell them.
I got it off of amazon. I am not sure I can post links in here, but I will post it below. I will type the Title first so you can search for it, if the link does not work.

20ft 14AWG 12V DC Extension Cable DC 2.1mm x 5.5mm 5521 Power Supply Adapter Flat Extender Cord,Female to Male Wire for CCTV Security Camera,IP Network Camera,DVRs and More Devices​

the store is called iGreely

I got the 20' one and it cost $20. Here is the link:

Amazon product ASIN B08PHTLG5QView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PHTLG5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm boosting my SHTF preps. I have generators and working on a couple/four hundred watts solar and a few batteries.
I'm wondering if there is any use for one of these to add to my mix?
It seems for what you get, price per watt is expensive.
Only advantage I see is better portability and inside quiet power if needed.
If I have generators and solar, should I get one of these too?

I'm boosting my SHTF preps. I have generators and working on a couple/four hundred watts solar and a few batteries.
I'm wondering if there is any use for one of these to add to my mix?
It seems for what you get, price per watt is expensive.
Only advantage I see is better portability and inside quiet power if needed.
If I have generators and solar, should I get one of these too?
for a more cost effective way, you could get a couple of marine deep cycle batteries like they use for trolling motors. Get a 100w or 200w solar panel, and a charge controller and hook them up. Read about how to do that, its not hard really. Also, get a decent inverter. You can set that up in a garage or shed, have the wires go out to the panels mounted in the sun. The solar generators are basically all this build into a box. Its cheaper to get all the parts and set it up like this but its also a lot of work.

If you already have the panels and batteries and inverter, thats what a solar genterator is, so you are already there. Sorry, I didnt realize you already had that set up, I thought you were comparing the batteries panels to the solar generator. Portability is the main reason. If you can just run an extesion cord to your inverter, then you dont really need it. They are nice to have. Not sure if you go camping, or plan on bugging out, but if you do by car or truck, you can take the solar generator with you. The solar panel/battery set up would be too involved to bring along.

If you already have the panels and batteries and inverter, thats what a solar genterator is, so you are already there. Sorry, I didnt realize you already had that set up, I thought you were comparing the batteries panels to the solar generator. Portability is the main reason. If you can just run an extesion cord to your inverter, then you dont really need it. They are nice to have. Not sure if you go camping, or plan on bugging out, but if you do by car or truck, you can take the solar generator with you. The solar panel/battery set up would be too involved to bring along.

No, thank you!
I bought 2 100w Harbor Freight Solar kits at the start of the Pandemic, and luckily never un-boxed them. Panels, charge controller, wires.
I'm researching and cobbling together more now.
Bought the 400W hub.
Bought a better MPPT Charge controller.
Bought a 2000W inverter.

Have not sprung for batteries yet, reading about them now.
I have multiple vehicles, ATVs, older car batteries that I didn't think would make through winter but still take and hold a charge.
I could pretty easily cobble together at least 6 maybe 8 car/atv/mower batteries in an emergency.
I'm thinking one clean good new LifePo4 battery is the way to go however.
Haven't decided which one yet.

This solar thing is a game changer (at least for me) when thinking about long term preps.
It allows you to save your gas/LP and using it very sparingly when needed.
I always thought I'd be burning through all my gas and LP keeping my food cold when the power goes.
I'm learning....slowly...
🤓

No, thank you!
I bought 2 100w Harbor Freight Solar kits at the start of the Pandemic, and luckily never un-boxed them. Panels, charge controller, wires.
I'm researching and cobbling together more now.
Bought the 400W hub.
Bought a better MPPT Charge controller.
Bought a 2000W inverter.

Have not sprung for batteries yet, reading about them now.
I have multiple vehicles, ATVs, older car batteries that I didn't think would make through winter but still take and hold a charge.
I could pretty easily cobble together at least 6 maybe 8 car/atv/mower batteries in an emergency.
I'm thinking one clean good new LifePo4 battery is the way to go however.
Haven't decided which one yet.

This solar thing is a game changer (at least for me) when thinking about long term preps.
It allows you to save your gas/LP and using it very sparingly when needed.
I always thought I'd be burning through all my gas and LP keeping my food cold when the power goes.
I'm learning....slowly...
🤓
My old solar set up was on my old barn where I used to live. I had 1 deep cycle battery inside and a 40 or 50 watt panel outside. I think that panel cost more than a 100 watt panel today. I used a small inverter just to run the lights in the barn for when I sat out there at night listing to the Redsox or Patriots on the Radio. With a cigar and a burbon. Then my son started taking the battery when he went fishing with an old aluminum boat we had, he slapped an electric motor on it, and used my battery to run it. It would take about 2 or 3 days to bring that battery up to full charge. He got an A on a school science project about running a boat all on solar power and all that green crap. Probably the only Green Project ever that was practical. The nice thing about solar, is that once you set it up, there are no moving parts. It can last 40 years and still work, although you probably have to replace the batteries.

I have not followed the new advances in solar batteries, but about 20 years ago, they would take 2 6 volt golf cart batteries, and hook them up in series to make it 12 volts. Then add 2 more, then 2 more in parallel. You have to be careful not to cross wire them the wrong way. Always wear glasses and long sleeves and gloves when hooking up the batteries.

LiFePo4 batteries seem to be all the rage right now.
These are similar/same to what is used in electric cars today(?)

Advantages:
Lighter
Double the amount of cycling lifespan (at least)
Can be drained down 80%

Disadvantage:
Can damage battery if you charge in temps below freezing
I guess they have shut down features now too that will not let them charge if they are too cold.

LiFePo4 batteries seem to be all the rage right now.
These are similar/same to what is used in electric cars today(?)

Advantages:
Lighter
Double the amount of cycling lifespan (at least)
Can be drained down 80%

Disadvantage:
Can damage battery if you charge in temps below freezing
I guess they have shut down features now too that will not let them charge if they are too cold.

Yes. The more expensive batteries do have that built in but the cheaper ones don't. They all have an overheat feature, and also overcharge feature with the bms in the battery. You can buy smaller ones now as well (mini) that take up much less space and weigh less but still have the same AH. I have a couple of 200ah powerqueen full size, a few Ampre Time 50ah, and just ordered 2 of the ecoworthy 100ah mini batteries. None have the built in heaters or low temp shut down. I keep the 200ah for emergency batteries. I was using the 50ah ones in my bass boat for trolling motor but will now use the 100ah minis. I also have 2 100ah lead acid batteries connected to my shed solar setup powering the 12v lights in it.

You do have a ton of options. If you really want to keep an emergency setup think about a hybrid controller for wind and solar. I have one and a 300w wind turbine along with spare 12v panels put aside 400 to 600w. That setup with the 2 200ah batteries will provide power to a 3000w inverter and also have a 1200w pure sine wave inverter for the setup. Not perfect but it is something. It would work far better at my NH place than MA place though. We have a steady breeze at the lake and enough open space for solar for half the day.

Will Prowse DIY Solar on YouTube is the best channel for solar and battery info/reviews. His videos are not full of fluff and he tests everything himself and does teardowns. I built our house's off grid system using his design at the time (EG4 6500s).

LiFePO4 are the batteries to buy *if* you can keep them above 32F. They cannot be charged in freezing temps, it harms the batteries. Which is why you don't see them in US electric cars.

If you want something for cold temps unfortunately nothing beats lead acid. Golf cart batteries are the best.

Back
Top Bottom