Colorado hunting trip (My nephews deer added)

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I take a trip to Colorado every year to bow hunt Bow season starts the last Saturday of August each year. This years morning hunt , August 3rd , I spotted a deer about 100 yards away. I started stalking it, but every time I got within about 60-80 yards it would trot off a little. Finally it decided it had had enough of me and ran off.
That evening my brother an I were out and as we approched a pile of boulders my brother reminded me this was where we had seen the buck. as we rounded the boulders it was standing there. It was looking in my brothers direction. From where I was I couldn't see its head so I knew it couldn't see me. I estimated it to be about 45 yards away. I knew it wasn't going to let us move in so I drew back, set my 40 yard pin on it's back and let the arrow go. The deer dropped right where it was standing. "Oh crap! I spined it." So I moved up to to finish it. As I got close it jumped up and started running as it fell face first with each stride. He ran about 40 yards before staying down. I got to 20 yards and sighted in on it. Just as I shot it jumped up and I hit it in the rear quarter. Damnit! This time it ran about 20 more yards and fell. I was 10 yards away now and I aimed for its chest. This finished him immediately. When I looked at it I noticed the first shot hit just behind the front leg and hit the opposite shoulder and lungs. I could have left it, but I thought I had spined it and I wanted to finish him quickly. Here is a picture of it. It is at the taxidermist being mounted and measured. We are guessing in the mid 150's.

DSC04250.jpg

Here is my brothers deer he got the day before me.

DSC04242.jpg

My Nephews deer

100_2269.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Ham Slam. It costs between $25 and $40 depending on the antlers. They inject them with something to keep bugs off and to preserve them. Mine were $25. I had one done two years ago also. It measured 160 2/8ths. This one is close to the same size.

Last edited:
Beautiful tall racks! I can see you ran out of arrows! [smile]

Tell us about how your bow is set up. I'm shopping for a 5 arrow holder, as I spined my first deer, and struggled with followups.

I've hunted mule deer in the flat tops north of Rifle (Butler Creek specifically). Mine wasn't quite that big, but I can attest to what a great accomplishment your mule deer is!

It's a whole other world when you are hunting/camping at base camp altitude of 10,000 feet, in the ruggedest terrain you can imagine.

In my mind I am endlessly still-hunting a herd of elk that I worked at for a couple of days when I was last out that way.

Congrats!

We hunt GMU 511. It is up at Woodland park just west of Colorado Springs. My brother lives in the Springs so he sets up his camper. There are a few of his friends there too. We usually have about 7-10 people on the weekend, but the weekdays most have work or school. This year there were only 4 of us who drew Deer tags. The rest were hunting elk. So far only one person got an elk. We saw 6 bulls and maybe a dozen cows and one calf.

My nephew shot his deer tonight. It has tags in both ears. My brother will turn them in tomorrow. He said one of the tags said not to eat until after 8/1/2009. I am guessing it was probably darted around then. He is going to ask why when he turns in the tags.

100_2269.jpg

I got the info on the tags from my brother. Apparenlty the D.O.W. got a lot of calls of a deer with an arrow in its neck back in May. They usually don't do anything, but they got too many calls. They tranqualized it and removed the arrow. They say you cannot eat it for 30 days, but they said they added additional time as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom