• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comfort and IWB carry

I have been carrying for about 8 months. Mostly with a COMP-TAC CTAC IWB holster supported by a wilderness 3 stitch instructors belt. I usually carry P99C although sometimes I carry a Glock 27.
While at work, I am seated most of the day. I noticed that there are times when I am totally comfortable walking/sitting and then, there are times when it's pure hell sitting down or driving, even if I loosen the belt all the way. I generally tend to keep the gun around 4 - 4:30 and it feels ok. I am of about average build. I wonder what other people's experience with IWB carry is? Is it consistently tolerable or hit and miss like mine? I am actually thinking of trying pocket carry. Speaking of which, does anybody carry glock 26/7 or P99C in a pocket? What holster would you recommend?

Thanks!

IMO IWB carry is not terrible but it does tend to be less comfortable than
OWB carry... but for me that scenario is pretty consistent. The rigs
I have are not "unbearable" at any time.

It almost sounds to me like in your case your holster/gun is shifting position
and maybe ends up being in the "wrong" place making it uncomfortable.

You have to identify what part of your body is being pushed and what part
of the holster is pushing on it and go from there. Sometimes simple
modifications can be made which may greatly improve comfort.

-Mike

Mike, it feels as if the front of the belt is digging into my stomach. Even lossening the belt does not help, and when carrying, I usually wear pants 2 sizes too large. I think you are right about the holster shifting. I may be getting a Pro-Undercover to try.

Mike, it feels as if the front of the belt is digging into my stomach. Even lossening the belt does not help, and when carrying, I usually wear pants 2 sizes too large. I think you are right about the holster shifting. I may be getting a Pro-Undercover to try.

Funny thing is maybe the belt is just -too- wide? (I've never had my hands
on a wilderness belt, so I dont know how stiff/wide it is).

I've only ever had "belt pain" from wearing a setup that was just too
tight. One of the problems with the conventional belts is you can't
adjust the tension in finite amounts... IIRC the wilderness uses velcro, so
it shoudln't be a problem at least in that aspect, if the thing is sized
correctly.

-Mike

If the belt is too tight, I have discomfort when sitting; but if the belt is too loose, I wind up pulling up my pants constantly while standing. What I need is a belt with an elastic section that will expand or contract based on how big my waist is at that particular moment.

(Incidentally, that would also help with the gas. I hate my 30's. [grin] )

It also has the problem that it pulls only one side of my pants down, making my pants lopsided and uncomfortable. It helps to have a magazine or two on the other side, but I guess what I really want is a loose belt and suspenders holding my pants up. Sigh.

I much prefer my OWB Galco rig, but it's unusable in the summer in this fascist hellhole, and even in the winter I have to be careful about the shirt or coat I'm wearing.

NH is north of here, right? [smile]

Kyle

I carry IWB most of the time. I use C Tac for my M&P and a very nice leather holster for my K frame revolver.( Aslessi)

You never stated the width of the belt you are using. I have a Wilderness 1 3/4" and a 1 1/2" and never wear the 1 3/4" any more as it is uncomfortable. 1 1/2" is more than adequate and is comfortable for all day wear.

I actually prefer a leather belt once it is broken in. I have a couple Galco belts that work real well but the best I have is made by Hoffners. The 1 5/8 is an excellent belt but too some time to soften up for comfort. I plan to order another with the tapered ends.

Regards,

Last edited:
I carry only IWB...haven't found the hip holster that i like yet, but i carry with Kimber Com in blade-tech. The only real pain part is the getting in to some bucket seats. You have to ajust the holster alil.... I drive a fair bit and ..just kinda forget i have it on.

I think you'll find both of those guns just a little too big to be good choices for carry in a pocket holster.

I have my G27 in a Sidearmor IWB rig that's similar to your C-Tac. I don't really find it uncomfortable in the stomach area. I don't know if this is your situation or not, but I wear shirts untucked when I'm carrying a lot, and the thing that helped it make more comfortable for me was leaving a t-shirt or my boxers between my skin and the holster. Then again, I'd get rubbing on my pelvis bone in the back.

Your pants may be too big too casuing the shifting. If you can wear jeans at work, loose fit jeans in my regular size work great for me.

Laugh if you want it and might sound crazy but this how I like to carry a gun.

I put on a extra belt about 4-6 inches above my regular belt with a yaqui slide holster with a snap retention strap or a full size pancake belt holster. I have used IWB holsters doing this but a regular belt holster works better.

I've been doing this for almost 40 years and no one has ever seen it and it's comfortable also you don't have any worries about your shirt or jacket riding up.

The trick to it is finding the right belt, I use a 1 inch, slightly thick belt that won't move. It's the same idea as puting on a duty belt and you never have to take the holster off, just hang up the belt with the holster when you take it off.

There's 2 ways to use a belt holster. When you use a belt holster, instead of putting the belt through the slide holes on your belt and running it around the back of the holster, run it around the front of the holster and notice the difference.

The holster stays in place better when it's around the outside of the holster.

Back
Top Bottom