Comm2A Sues Town of Dighton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small world: Matt Trask one one of my friends growing up and lived in neighborhood across street from me.

In effect, someone who has qualified immunity won't be forced to pay anything. They get that fictional protection by acting in a way that has not been clearly deemed unconstitutional by the courts.

So if they plaintiffs win this suit, and the chief does something similar again, would he lose qualified immunity? What about a different chief?

So if they plaintiffs win this suit, and the chief does something similar again, would he lose qualified immunity? What about a different chief?

Yes and Yes. If we win, and any chief does something like this again, immunity could be pierced. It will depend on a few factors, but this is the direction we are heading in. It will take time.

Hello all,

Thank you for the positive feedback on this case, and a special thanks to everyone at Comm2A for making this happen.

There have been a few questions about "why did we do this" or "home come this was (or was not) included in the complaint". For obvious reasons, I don't want to comment about the case in the event the Defendant or their attorney has a presence on this site, but comments and explanations from terraformer and Knuckle Dragger provide worthy insight - and we still might have an ace or two up our sleeve that we don't want to hand over on a silver platter if we don't have to. Other supporting documents (police report and other corroborating documentation) and subsequent pleadings will be linked up on NES and/or passed along to Comm2a for their website once they are filed with the court or provided to the Defendants through discovery for similar reasons.

This case has a real opportunity to do some good for legal challenges in MA down the road, so please continue to support Comm2A and all the folks that help us stand up for our rights.

MPT

Hello all,

Thank you for the positive feedback on this case, and a special thanks to everyone at Comm2A for making this happen.

There have been a few questions about "why did we do this" or "home come this was (or was not) included in the complaint". For obvious reasons, I don't want to comment about the case in the event the Defendant or their attorney has a presence on this site, but comments and explanations from terraformer and Knuckle Dragger provide worthy insight - and we still might have an ace or two up our sleeve that we don't want to hand over on a silver platter if we don't have to. Other supporting documents (police report and other corroborating documentation) and subsequent pleadings will be linked up on NES and/or passed along to Comm2a for their website once they are filed with the court or provided to the Defendants through discovery for similar reasons.

This case has a real opportunity to do some good for legal challenges in MA down the road, so please continue to support Comm2A and all the folks that help us stand up for our rights.

MPT

Thank you for your work on behalf of all law abiding citizens - we appreciate it. Keep it up...

Other supporting documents (police report and other corroborating documentation) and subsequent pleadings will be linked up on NES and/or passed along to Comm2a for their website once they are filed with the court or provided to the Defendants through discovery for similar reasons.

No worries. I didn't realize they hadn't been filed with the complaint. Good luck, and let me know if you need anything.

Great job, team! Keep up the good work. As soon as I have my bills paid up, there'll be a small donation going to Comm2A.

What happens to point # 40?

40. Even if the Plaintiffs firearms rights were to be reinstated, the Defendant has unjustly prejudiced the Plaintiffs ability to obtain a License to Carry Firearms, and to purchase a firearm in the future, as protected by the Second and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. Upon submitting to any future background check connected with the purchase of a firearm, and/or upon the application or renewal for a License to Carry Firearms or Firearms Identification card, the Plaintiff must disclose, for the rest of his life, that his right to possess a firearm had been "revoked, suspended or denied".

If you win the suit, one could argue that his right was never truly "really" revoked, suspended or denied because the denial, revocation, and/or suspension was overturned on Constitutional grounds.

If you win will he be able to truthfully answer "no" to the question? Or will he have to carry a copy of his judgment (note only one 'e' in that word!) with him for the rest of his life?

I'm sure a press release to the local paper explaining "Town pays Comm2A legal fees in the amount of $x" would be very well received by the selectmen.

This usually costs the towns nothing or next to nothing, as they all have insurance policies to cover law suits.

Don't the police need a warrent to seize guns upon LTC revocation or does the MGL substitute for that (legally or illegally)?

BTW, good work Comm2a. I will be upping my monthly donation.

eta: donation changed

Last edited:
This usually costs the towns nothing or next to nothing, as they all have insurance policies to cover law suits.

Up to a point. I know of one town that was sued for a variety of different issues and the settlements were more than the limits on their policy. They also found that like any other customer, their rates went up when someone sued them and the insurance company had to pay out. It can get pretty expensive, especially for a small town.

Only the bigger cities might be able to self insure. I know that Boston does, but I don't know of any others.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and Yes. If we win, and any chief does something like this again, immunity could be pierced. It will depend on a few factors, but this is the direction we are heading in. It will take time.

Thanks, the answers my next question. So, the first decision won't pierce the immunity, but subsequently, because the chiefs and others are on notice, it could pierce the immunity. I wasn't aware of that.

This does not matter to the citizens who elect their officials. They don't think "ah insurance will cover it." They don't even know insurance like this even ****ing exists.

If you list a giant number preceded by "$" and followed by "paid to Comm2A thanks to Sheriff DingleBerry's incompetence", guess who's asses are on the line?

the selectmen and the sheriff's.

People eat media at a retarded level of comprehension. You tell the truth about how much an idiot Cop cost the town he serves and people will start to think about "how could this happen?" and investigate further. Outrage fuels comprehension- you want to understand why something bad happened. It's the reason why the media pounces on trials of people who did horrible things- people want to know why and how.

The news of this case makes me giddy. Reading that complaint makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because it inspires so much confidence.

The news of this case makes me giddy. Reading that complaint makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because it inspires so much confidence.
Yeah I'm in tears. It only gets better from here, I know. (The biggest obstacle to repeal 2A is the repealing process itself, or it seems.)

I thought Dighton was a green town?

Like Knuckle Dragger says, this doesn't mean anything. Issuance of an unrestricted LTC-A does not tell you whether or not the PD is anti gun on the back end. Some anti gun PDs appear "green" because it's more politically expedient for them to do so rather than cause problems. It's not because they -want- to issue the licenses, it's because they don't want to deal with the potential BS (or I should say, righteous retaliation by the citizens!!!) that can happen to them when they deny or restrict.

-Mike

Thanks, the answers my next question. So, the first decision won't pierce the immunity, but subsequently, because the chiefs and others are on notice, it could pierce the immunity. I wasn't aware of that.

The first decision may pierce the immunity. If the court feels that the chief had a reasonable belief that he was within the law when he acted, no piercing. Since the chief has probably heard of the fourth amendment, and has read the statute that permits him to issue the FID, I don't believe he should be able to claim ignorance.

I'm not privy to Comm2a's thinking, but there are probably strategic reasons to not go after officials personally in a state like MA.

ME TOO!. This is one of those cases that reminds me why we do what we do.

I'm not privy to Comm2a's thinking, but there are probably strategic reasons to not go after officials personally in a state like MA.
It's pointless and a distraction. Qualified immunity is practically absolute immunity which is what prosecutors enjoy. We need to focus on the issue of the right being denied. The threat of being on the losing end of a federal civil rights action is incentive enough. We don't really need to get into the personal liability aspect of it. At lease not anytime soon.

Last edited:
this has gotta be a slam dunk. unreal. Hope the Sgt loses his job, he's not suitable to wear a badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom