Cool alternative to a normal PLB

Very cool, although I think a more economical alternative (for personal rescue anyway)would be the PRC-90 or PRC-106 pilot survival radio. Get them on e-barf occasionally for relative cheap money.

Very cool, although I think a more economical alternative (for personal rescue anyway)would be the PRC-90 or PRC-106 pilot survival radio. Get them on e-barf occasionally for relative cheap money.

I found this online about the PRC-90:

It can transmit a beacon (attention getting warble tone) on 243.0 MHz. Voice on 243.0 or 282.2 MHz and Morse Code in Modulated Continuos Wave (MCW) mode on 243.0. It will receive voice on 243.0 and 282.2 MHz. The previous frequencies are for Military emergency communications. The PRC-90 does not work on the civilian emergency frequency of 121.5 MHz nor does it work on the international distress frequency of 406.025 MHz.

If I just wanted to signal aircraft, I would just but the ICOM IC-A4 aircraft band HT and put lithium AA batteries in it. It's only $180 online.

I think that the online tracking feature of this product could be quite useful.

That's why I said for rescue purposes. Believe me (and I know) the military will respond to the signal, and if you're in deep ca-ca-who cares who it is that found you?

EPIRB ... --- ...

How about a Marine Epirb and a SART

This is what I use on the Boat.

SAMYUNG EPIRB-406
SEP-406 EPIRB complies with the performance standards of GMDSS, IMO/CCIR, RTCM and CISPAS/SARSAT with transmitting frequencies of 406MHz/121.5MHZ. SEP-406 EPIRB is designed to be water-tight and for ease of instalation which includes a bracket to release automatically by hydraulic pressure.

• Compliant with GMDSS, IMO/CCIR, RTCM and COSPAS/SARSAT.
• Built-in self-test function and an device against inadvertent operating.
• Automatic float free housing by hydraulic pressure.
• Totally watertight in seawater, oil.
• Self test.

SAR-9 Radar transponder
IMO Compliant

How about a Marine Epirb and a SART

This is what I use on the Boat.

SAMYUNG EPIRB-406
SEP-406 EPIRB complies with the performance standards of GMDSS, IMO/CCIR, RTCM and CISPAS/SARSAT with transmitting frequencies of 406MHz/121.5MHZ. SEP-406 EPIRB is designed to be water-tight and for ease of instalation which includes a bracket to release automatically by hydraulic pressure.

• Compliant with GMDSS, IMO/CCIR, RTCM and COSPAS/SARSAT.
• Built-in self-test function and an device against inadvertent operating.
• Automatic float free housing by hydraulic pressure.
• Totally watertight in seawater, oil.
• Self test.

SAR-9 Radar transponder
IMO Compliant

I understand what a Epirb is. This product is PLB which has the unusual feature of allowing friends and others to view you location on a map on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom