CQ Worldwide Contest

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
Anyone playing? I just got on the radio. 10 meters is open. I've made decent contacts to the south and far east.

The Gloucester club I belong to is playing for fun, not score, but I'm so loaded down with chores this weekend that I'm not able to go to the clubhouse and join the fun[sad]. I heard some guys on the Danvers repeater talking and one of them put about 150 contacts in the log in just a few hours, mostly on 10M.

This is a great contest for picking up some rare DX, especially in years when 10 and 15 are open. Keep an ear open on 10 late in the day for Pacific/Australia/Far East activity.

I was having all kinds of fun on 10m. Then it closed up a bit so I moved to 15m and 20m. Then my power went out:( There was some good dx.

I was having all kinds of fun on 10m. Then it closed up a bit so I moved to 15m and 20m. Then my power went out:( There was some good dx.
What, you're SHTF emergency prepardness didn't kick in and you didn't switch to off-grid operations?[grin]

The bad part about my shack is it's in the basement. The good part is it's next to the sump pump with 2 big 12V backup batteries next to it. I took an old jumper cable and put power-pole connectors on it so my FT-857 is good to go during a short power outage. For the longer ones I drag out the 4KW generator.

The ARRL should have a seperate class of awards for off-grid. WAS-off grid would be a good goal to shoot for.

I'm going to setup a dedicated battery backup system. I'm set up now but I have to slide the battery in position and manually make one power pole connection. The generator uses enough gas as it is.
For an extended outage I'm going to need a lot of gas. That raises another point. How does one store large quantities of gas?

What, you're SHTF emergency prepardness didn't kick in and you didn't switch to off-grid operations?[grin]

The bad part about my shack is it's in the basement. The good part is it's next to the sump pump with 2 big 12V backup batteries next to it. I took an old jumper cable and put power-pole connectors on it so my FT-857 is good to go during a short power outage. For the longer ones I drag out the 4KW generator.

The ARRL should have a seperate class of awards for off-grid. WAS-off grid would be a good goal to shoot for.

Back
Top Bottom