Cryogenic treating

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
My most recent knife purchase was from a manufacturer (SOG) that in marketing material specifies the cryogenic hardening of their knife steel.

Being a non expert to steel processing I decided to look into this treatment method and found the attached blog post which was updated this past December.

It seems the process is more than just a marketing term, but also not necessarily as uncommon as that same marketing might like you to think.

How Cryogenic Hardened Steel is Helping Your Knife

🐯

My most recent knife purchase was from a manufacturer (SOG) that in marketing material specifies the cryogenic hardening of their knife steel.

Being a non expert to steel processing I decided to look into this treatment method and found the attached blog post which was updated this past December.

It seems the process is more than just a marketing term, but also not necessarily as uncommon as that same marketing might like you to think.

How Cryogenic Hardened Steel is Helping Your Knife

🐯
In a lot of the modern fancy pants steels it’s a continuation of the quench. You don’t hit martensite finish until something like -80 degrees so you need that low temp to convert all of the austenite.

Back
Top Bottom