CT/AR-15 Lower Receiver support/advice?

Hey fellas...new to this board/shooting, but maybe some of you friendly folks can chime in with the best option for my circumstance. I already have a new post ban-compliant AR 15 (bushmaster 16" fixed carry handle). I am now looking to get a second setup with a 20" barrel and flat top. I've seen these for around $400 or so complete which I am fine with.

I am looking to get a new lower for this second setup (most likely complete). My question is this:

I have seen complete lowers for around $200 but being in CT (and it's evils), if I get a collapsible stock with it, must it be pinned, and if so, does it need to be done before being received by the FFL in CT or can the FFL in CT do it, or can I even do it on my own terms since a telescoping stock is a single evil on it's own?

I plan on getting a complete upper shipped to myself and joining it to a separate complete upper with a telescoping stock (which will be shipped to CT FFL).

As always, any advice/input is greatly appreciated

If you watch the "for sale" boards in Ct and elsewhere that is for sale in CT, you will find a lower for sale, in different configurations. Then you are at will do do as you please within CT. law, to build your own. I just picked up a Rock River with lower parts kit (LPK) for a good price, so they do show up from time to time. This way you stay away from the FFL and transfer into the state.

+1 on build it yourself. We recently had a "green member" group buy on stripped lowers for something like $65 bucks each. Start with that and then add whatever trigger, stock, grip, etc you want. You save a ton of money while getting EXACTLY what you want....

To answer your question, yes the stock would need to be nutered (fixed) before being shipped to an FFL in CT.
You can order a stripped lower and order any stock you like, just make sure you pin it before trying to mount it on anything in CT or you can be charged with building an assault weapon (even just having the parts carries the same charge).

Another fyi, the stock doesn't need to pinned, just made so that it requires tools to adjust it, Bushmaster just runs a long bolt through, you can loosen it with an allen wrench and then adjust the stock and tighten it back down.

Last edited:
Bullseye are you saying that a lower can be sold Face To Face without an FFL as a bare lower? While rifle sales can be made FTF, I hadn't considered that stripped lowers could be but that's not to say they can't. However, in thinking about it, since FTF sales of rifles are legal and as long as the lower is being made into a rifle, maybe that's the case. Hmmm hadn't thought about that one.

Regarding the blind-pinning of the stock, Discounteggroll (boy.....how do some guys come up with their handles!?) pinning is really easy on many of the stocks. You can do a Google search to see how it can be done. The goal, however, is that it has to be considered "pemanent" or, not able to be easily removed without the use of tools. I've done a couple and all I had to do is drill a proper hole and then drove a rolled pin into it. IT can't be removed unless you use a hammer and a drift so it's not something that can easily be removed. You can buy a folder or telescoping stock for your kit. Just pin it before you install it. Once it's on the rifle, it has to be compliant.

Rome

Bullseye are you saying that a lower can be sold Face To Face without an FFL as a bare lower? While rifle sales can be made FTF, I hadn't considered that stripped lowers could be but that's not to say they can't. However, in thinking about it, since FTF sales of rifles are legal and as long as the lower is being made into a rifle, maybe that's the case. Hmmm hadn't thought about that one.

Regarding the blind-pinning of the stock, Discounteggroll (boy.....how do some guys come up with their handles!?) pinning is really easy on many of the stocks. You can do a Google search to see how it can be done. The goal, however, is that it has to be considered "pemanent" or, not able to be easily removed without the use of tools. I've done a couple and all I had to do is drill a proper hole and then drove a rolled pin into it. IT can't be removed unless you use a hammer and a drift so it's not something that can easily be removed. You can buy a folder or telescoping stock for your kit. Just pin it before you install it. Once it's on the rifle, it has to be compliant.

Rome

I know for a fact that with out-of-state transfers the lower(receiver) must go through an FFL, I'm honestly not sure about in-state transfer but no doubt someone else will be along shortly to elaborate [grin]

In the state ( CT ) lowers are legal for FTF transfers with no paperwork required, they are treated as a long arm sale. If the lower is registered as a pistol it must transfer through an FFl as any pistol would. I would recommend as a seller to fill out a DPS form 3 for at least your own personal record of transfer, submission to DPS is up to the seller.

Just as an FYI, I bought a stock from RRA that was pinned at the factory. The pinned it in two places with roll pins, so I can't adjust it as easily as the option that JohnFH mentioned wrt to the bushmaster stock, but it was one less thing I had to worry about when building my rifle.

Ok. So that's interesting about the rifle lowers and FTF sales. I had not thought of that but, of course, usually we don't have "just" the receiver of any particular rifle except for the AR15.

I can, with all assuredness, concur with Dick Wanner that out-of-state sales are FFL only unless you're dealing with a C&R piece and you''re a C&R.

Got it.

Rome

You can buy a folder or telescoping stock for your kit. Just pin it before you install it.

IMHO, I would be careful here, as you could run into "constructive possession" territory.

To answer your question, yes the stock would need to be nutered (fixed) before being shipped to an FFL in CT.

I don't believe this is true.

You can order a stripped lower and order any stock you like, just make sure you pin it before trying to mount it on anything in CT or you can be charged with building an assault weapon (even just having the parts carries the same charge).

So a FFL can't possess a un-pinned stock (per your statement above), but an end user can? [thinking]

I can, with all assuredness, concur with Dick Wanner that out-of-state sales are FFL only unless you're dealing with a C&R piece and you''re a C&R.

Correct. This is Federal law.

Unless I'm mistaken, Cabela's even sells telescoping stocks and folders, too. Now, I'm not 100% sure about this because I didn't look specifically for them when I was there last but I believe I recall seeing them on the wall. And, I fully understand the "constructive possession" concern. Still, if I were to buy one and take it home and mod it, we'd be cool. Just don't assemble it and take it out of your house to the range for some play time before the "fixing" it. (Imagine having to 'fix' something that's not broken. Sheesh!)

Rome

Back
Top Bottom