CZ AccuShadow now on approved Production list

Just saw a thread on Enos about the CZCustom AccuShadow being added to the USPSA production gun list. Sure enough there it is on the latest updates....$1,600 production division gun, discuss....

[devil][troll]

USPSA Production Division is a little strange. The guns must be stock with no "visible" mods. Also the gun must be in the same overall condition as it left the factory.

This means that you can legally have a $500 trigger job done with an internal trigger stop, but cannot install a $10 trigger stop screw because it shows. Also, you cannot install a Glock 34 top end (five in barrel&slide) on a 24 frame. This is a little ridiculous as there is no difference between a 34 and 24 frame; the only way you could tell is by checking the serial #. There is simply no advantage in using a 24 frame and a 34 top end vs a complete 34.

I think that USPSA intended Production to be an intro type division and under estimated its potential and popularity. Now it seems that Production draws the most shooters at the local matches and a lot of top shooters have jumped on board. When a division becomes this popular, you will see some expensive pistols, a la the $3000 Sphinx or the $1600 Shadow. I really don't see much the USPSA can do about it as long as long as the pistols are stock, they are legal even though they are very expensive.

You can buy 3 Glocks for that price... and have three better guns.

Actually in MA you can only buy 2 glocks at that price [wink]

"Better" is of course a subjective term, as are beauty and style....I've been searching for consistency with the glock for a while now and I'm ready to try something new. Maybe it'll be better for me and maybe not. And it won't be an AccuShadow...probably

The arms race is in full swing in the division created to keep shooters out of an arms race, human nature will always prevail

That's an interesting comment from someone who shot a CZ. What is it about a Glock you prefer?

There are lot of reasons but I'm not the only one that switched back to the Glock from a CZ. The Glock just physically works better in my hands. People piss and moan about the grip angle- I have no issue with the Glock grip angle. The gun reloads better, shoots just as accurately and just overall works better for me. People complain about the Glock trigger- I'd argue that if you are executing the fundamentals well- the CZ offers no advantage- matter of fact getting used to the DA-SA is tricky- and I have no issue switching to a much heavier and longer DA pull of a revolver.

The CZ is very expensive... crazy expensive for a production gun IMO. My CZ was indeed just as reliable as the Glock so no issues there.

You couldn't have realized that a year ago? I blame you for everything.

Sorry Dave. :(

- - - Updated - - -

$1600 for an IDPA gun ...pass

L10 isn't far off... for just as much money.

A little off topic.... I switched from Glock 17 to a tricked out STI eagle. The STI is super reliable, accurate as can be, and pretty. I shot the STI for three months and switched back last week to my Glock. It was an expensive experiment but in the end the Glock works much better for me . I just couldn't get the STI going for the first shot out of the holster . In SC the first shot is critical and my times were off .25. So I will leave the expensive guns in the safe and shoot the plastic tractor. The grass is not greener....

Ps .. My buddy got his accushadow last week.... The rear sight fell off and he constantly has light strikes with federal match primers. So even for that price you have to tweak.

Last edited:
why would one gun be faster out of the holster? Was the 2011 not indexing properly with its different grip angle?

The grip angle and the thumb safety and the tang. I had to change my grip totally.I have applied the new grip to the Glock and I think it helped. The Glock is snag and burn even if its not perfect in your hand. With the STI I shoot a 3.25 clean on smoke and hope . With the Glock I shoot a 2.9 ish. The three months was a long enough learning curve for me, I can't work so hard to get back where I was and then expect to improve beyond

Some people prefer Glocks and shoot them better than a 2011/1911. For other people it may be a Beretta, or M&P, or Sig that works best for them. Back to the topic, CZ is making a purpose built USPSA production class gun with all the bells and whistles.
What other manufacturer is going that far?

So Glock has the G 34/35, Smith has the M&P Pro series, and there is the 5.25 XD models, these are basically just a longer barrel and sight radius.
The CZ in this discussion is without FP safety, has an added barrel bushing for accuracy. If one of the plastic gun makers made a FP safety-less factory model, maybe even with some sort of barrel bushing, what would that trigger be like? how much more accuracy could be achieved?

I plan to experiment a little this Winter with the CZ SP-01 Shadow.
I think the biggest hurdle for me will be the first DA shot.

So far doing some load testing and accuracy shooting it seems to group much better for me compared to when I shoot with the G34.

So far doing some load testing and accuracy shooting it seems to group much better for me compared to when I shoot with the G34.

When I had a Shadow it liked heavy bullets. I have some 160s if you want to test them.

So Glock has the G 34/35, Smith has the M&P Pro series, and there is the 5.25 XD models, these are basically just a longer barrel and sight radius.
The CZ in this discussion is without FP safety, has an added barrel bushing for accuracy. If one of the plastic gun makers made a FP safety-less factory model, maybe even with some sort of barrel bushing, what would that trigger be like? how much more accuracy could be achieved?

I believe all the Shadows don't have FP safeties. For most us mere mortals- the accuracy of the Glocks is more than what we need IMO. Besides it's the Glock grip angle that makes it a winner. Think about it though... 1600-2000 for a production gun?? WTF. I'd rather have a nice used open gun.

Pick a gun and shoot the snot out of it. There isn't a magical gun out there that you are going to pick up and turn into a GM. I gave the CZ a try. Shot it OK but just couldn't get used to it after so many years with the Glock. Lesson learned. Like I said, It's all Lugnut's fault. As a matter of fact, so are all mike's, no-shoots, procedurals, poverty, hunger, Obama elected president, the conflict in the middle east and herpes.

Pick a gun and shoot the snot out of it. There isn't a magical gun out there that you are going to pick up and turn into a GM. I gave the CZ a try. Shot it OK but just couldn't get used to it after so many years with the Glock. Lesson learned. Like I said, It's all Lugnut's fault. As a matter of fact, so are all mike's, no-shoots, procedurals, poverty, hunger, Obama elected president, the conflict in the middle east and herpes.

Always blaming me for something... shessh.

The load I have been advised to use is 147 grain coated bullet with 3.3 grains of N320. I have the primers, cases, and N320 but all I have is a bunch of 124gr MG JHP from my Open gun supplies....have to put in an order for some heavier pills.

What SJan is saying is basically what I posted this for though....a manufacturer is making what is designed to be a "Production Racegun". the others mentioned have dipped their toe in the water (e.g. G34) but CZC started diving in with the SP01 Shadow Target model and is now taking it further with the Accu. You can see that the people running USPSA aren't thrilled about it by the way they tried to put a minimum trigger pull weight in at this time last year before the outcry made them undo that before it got started. It'll be interesting to see if any other manufacturers try to follow suit and/or if the USPSA board tries to find a way to put a stop to the equipment race in this division

I've shot both Shadow and Glock and prefer the Shadow. I like the extra weight of a steel frame and the low bore axis which eliminates muzzle flip. The Glock has the low bore axis but I am not a big fan of the trigger or the grip angle.

CZ went all out with the Shadow. There is no firing pin safety or decocker which might adversely affect the trigger pull. The Accu Shadow option is no big deal as it tightens the groups up a bit, but the original Shadow is plenty accurate for USPSA competition. What cracks me up is that CZ will not admit that the Shadow was built expressly for IPSC competition. They claim that it was designed and built for an unnamed special ops unit. Right, a 40 oz 9mm pistol for special ops where every piece of equipment is closely examined for weight, as these troops carry a LOT of gear. Our Seals are now carrying a 30 oz H&K 45.

The only other pistol I an think of that is an "all out" effort at competition in Production (other than the Sphinx) is the CZ X5 All Around. As far as stopping the equipment race, don't hold your breath as its too late. As long as the manufacturer makes the required amount of guns and stays within the limits of Production Division, the gun will be legal regardless of the price. Trying to regulate firearms in a particular division based on cost would open up a giant can of worms.

Anyone ever consider the Eaa stock 2?
I know it's not a cz but it's da/sa, all steel, full dust cover and production legal.

I have one and shot production with it last year. Gun runs and runs is accurate and isn't fussy about ammo.

jutynyzu.jpg

Anyone ever consider the Eaa stock 2?
I know it's not a cz but it's da/sa, all steel, full dust cover and production legal.

I have one and shot production with it last year. Gun runs and runs is accurate and isn't fussy about ammo.

jutynyzu.jpg

You are one of the few. I would consider it if I could ever find one. They are pricy but some of that is because of the high demand and small number available.

You are one of the few. I would consider it if I could ever find one. They are pricy but some of that is because of the high demand and small number available.

And if the quality is anything like their limited guns, you will need 2 maybe 3 of them to get through a match

Back
Top Bottom