• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

decapping pin

Once again, I broke a decapping pin on my Dillon 223 die ( 2nd this year). Of course it was a crimped primer I didnt notice. It takes almost no effort to break these.
Does anyone make a pin thats a will fit, thats a little stronger or do I need to purchase a different die altogether?

I would contact Dillon (800-762-3845) for a replacement... Great folks and my experience has been that they often will ship a new part for free....[smile]

Once again, I broke a decapping pin on my Dillon 223 die ( 2nd this year). Of course it was a crimped primer I didnt notice. It takes almost no effort to break these.
Does anyone make a pin thats a will fit, thats a little stronger or do I need to purchase a different die altogether?

Last edited:
Wee Tip.[grin]

Or you could do what I do.

Take the broken pin top, smooth it flat.

Get some Lyman pins (cheaper and readily available), drop one into the stem cap and them drop in the dressed up Dillon part, reinstall onto decapping stem.

Use.

I break them all the time. I have a couple of bags of 50 RCBS pins on hand.

I've never broken one on a crimped Boxer primer though. Mine usually break when I try to decap a Berdan primed case, or if there's a .22LR case nestled inside whatever I'm trying to decap.

The pins are breaking just because of crimped primers? Doesn't seem right
to me. Obstructions (like what Jim is talking about) yes, crimped primers.... no.

-Mike

I've only broken them when something else was wrong, I've decapped thousands of factory crimped cases and although they do come out a bit harder, never pose a problem.

I use hardened pins that I have access to where I work. They come in 2" lengths and I cut them to the length wanted and put a radius on the end.

I don't decap in my Dillon when loading .223 as the crimp needs to be dealt with. I do the crimped brass in my single stage with a decaping die I made out of a Dillon powder measure die. My boss should have bought me one:)
Bob

What Swampy means is that the Lee dies have the pin in a collet. So, if you bump into something solid, the pin slides up in the collet. Nothing breaks. You just loosen the collet, re-adjust the pin, and re-tighten. Back in biz. Their dies are standard sized to fit most machines.

In my experience with Dillon, If I break something they send a new one free and if it's a small part, they send more than one. I don't think you can get a larger pin because it will be too large in diameter to fit.

Talked to Dillon. They were kind enough to send me 10 pins...... For 42+dollars with shipping.

Collet was too tight then.

The design allows that the pin slides up if it bumps into anything.

I've accidentally run a berdan primed case into a Lee die, and the pin merely slid up in the collet like it was supposed to.

Me too, 8 last year.

Collet was too tight then.

The design allows that the pin slides up if it bumps into anything.

I've accidentally run a berdan primed case into a Lee die, and the pin merely slid up in the collet like it was supposed to.

No they weren't, they slid up after the pin broke. I've been using Lee dies for over 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom