Defense, awareness and assessment for women?

I am looking for a course for my wife that will cover not only how and when to use a ccw for defense but also talk about situational awareness and how to handle different scenarios so as to avoid needing to draw a weapon.

I know there has been some threads about this kind of thing before but she is not looking for just a "how to shoot" course (that she can do) but something that combines ccw, situational awareness and scenario assessment skills.

Does this make sense? If so what are some suggestions?

LFI-1 at ayoob.com

The good: ayoob covers the force continuum and what to do after a confrontation. He also covers the drawing from a holster, shooting one-handed, emergency reloading, etc.

The bad: ayoob's uses strong language which may offend some people. My shooting style has diverged somewhat from some of his teachings.

Another alternative would be the concealed carry and advanced concealed carry classes at Sigarms Academy. They do not cover as much of the legal issues as Ayoob does.

NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim program is focused on that a person should be doing before they resort to using a firearm (if they even own one). It was originally a women only program that's now available to anyone interested in learning how to reduce their chances of becoming a victim of crime. The 3-4 hour seminar includes the following topics:
  • The Psychology of Criminal Predators
  • Mental Preparedness
  • Home Security
  • Physical Security
  • Automobile Security
  • Out-of-Town Travel Security
  • Technological Security
  • Self-Defense Physical Training
  • Personal Protection Devices (maybe including firearms)
  • In the Workplace *
  • Parents and Children from Pre-School to College *
  • Senior Citizens and Persons with Physical Disabilities *
  • Domestic Violence and Stalking *
(The last four topics are optional, depending on the audience)

Seminars are always low cost or free (rarely more than $25 a person). I gave a couple of seminars at GOAL a few years ago, but haven't found a lot of interest since then. Maybe it's time to try again.

Ken

Ken that sounds great, maybe I would go with her too but it sounds like what she needs. Definitely post if you decide to do another one.

Back
Top Bottom