• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Physical training for your wrists

Love Machine

NES Member
So I discovere during the last class that I took that my dainty wrists are not able to lock properly in order to absorb pistol recoil. I gotta build some better arms! Does anyone have a list of exercises I can do in the gym to up my wrist strength?

The bride has wrist issues, she was given an exercise where she holds little dumbells and does wrist curls for lack of a better term, the alarms are supported so as to isolate the muscles used for the wrist.

There are also grip strength things but she it was suggested to use a stress ball. Of course she isn't training for firearms so you may want to use more weight and maybe a tennis ball

The bride has wrist issues, she was given an exercise where she holds little dumbells and does wrist curls for lack of a better term, the alarms are supported so as to isolate the muscles used for the wrist.

There are also grip strength things but she it was suggested to use a stress ball. Of course she isn't training for firearms so you may want to use more weight and maybe a tennis ball
Mine:
20240213_064642.jpg

a.k.a. my Squeezie Toy. The physical therapy guys had me squeezing things like it (but not adjustable) after I got hurt at Great Glen in 2015.

This will help with the cumulative disintegrating effects of your wrists absorbing recoil

Last edited:
This will help with the cumulative disintegrating effects of your wrists absorbing recoil

So I should break out the Dewalt and drive a screw through my wrist?

Another avenue might be to check your grip.

If you're gripping low, a handgun has more muzzle flip. It's basic leverage.

I find that recoil management isn't the horizontal movement, that's easy - it's the vertical movement of the muzzle. I've got good upper body strength, so that's never been a real issue; but I find it's a lot easier to get the gun back on target for successive shots if I've got a good high grip on it.

One of the main reasons I got into shooting so much was because I shattered my left hand. Put back together with multiple pins and screws, once everything was removed the Occupational Therapist spent months getting nowhere with flexibility and strength. Literally was getting told that I'd never regain full function. Then I met a USPSA guy who made me shoot 500 rounds a day for a couple weeks. I was not working yet, but had been reloading. After those couple of weeks my left hand had more flexibility and was stronger than the never broken right hand. So, short story long... shoot more.

I have all the weights, strengtheners, braces and bands. And did all the physical therapy.

They didn't do 💩

It’s not always muscles. I shot a match Saturday. Saw orthopedic today to check out what looks like torn rotator cuff. Helping out at kids match this weekend and shooting match next weekend.

I missed winning my division by .71. Yeah, less than a second. And I can’t help thinking that I should have pushed harder, ignored the pain better. Gonna see if I can redeem myself weekend after next.

My wife is not happy.

Get a 12-14 inch long piece of wooden dowel, drilll a hole in the center of the length and attach a piece of cordage with a light weight on the other end. Roll it up, roll it down.

Work palms up and palms down.

Ray Chapman (RIP) told me that he used the spring type grip strengtheners to build his shooting grip.

He would place a coin between the two grips and then hold it for as long as he could without dropping the coin, take a short break, and do several sets.

Get a 12-14 inch long piece of wooden dowel, drilll a hole in the center of the length and attach a piece of cordage with a light weight on the other end. Roll it up, roll it down.

Work palms up and palms down.
I made one out of PVC pipe and normally clip a full Nalgene water bottle on it.

Grip strength.jpg

Ray Chapman (RIP) told me that he used the spring type grip strengtheners to build his shooting grip.

He would place a coin between the two grips and then hold it for as long as he could without dropping the coin, take a short break, and do several sets.

I made one out of PVC pipe and normally clip a full Nalgene water bottle on it.

View attachment 850551
That's interesting, rolling motion with both hands at the same time?

That's interesting, rolling motion with both hands at the same time?
No.

I suppose you could, but I use the "alternating grip and curl" technique (I just made that name up) to winch the weight up and down.

The exercise can be done palms down or palms up.

Kinda like this (not my video):

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LFO3reEvhFQ

Holding the pipe by the ends (palms facing each other) and winching the weight up and down really sucks!

Kinetic exercises: Farmers carries, kettle bell swings, mace and other object movement exercises where you are gripping hard through motion.

Static exercises: Wrist barbell curls, deadlifts of any variety, standing dumbbell curls, towel pull ups.

Grip strengthening gadgets: I like varigrip:

Adjustable tension so you can progress it and work fingers individually.

Attend as many NES get togethers that you can and talk to the pivot man. Over all strongest and most stamina.

Do you think you're weaker than, say, Lena Miculek? Or do you think it's more about your grip than your wrists?

Back
Top Bottom