Defensive Carbine Match Sat. Oct. 20th, 2012 - Pioneer Sportsmen Club, Dunbarton, NH

[mg] Back by popular demand, Pioneer Sportsmen Club in Dunbarton, NH is please to offer a Defensive Carbine Match on Sat. Oct. 20th instead of our standard IDPA Monthly Match.

This will be an IDPA style defensive shooting match with carbines in .22lr, .223, 7.62x39, .308 or pistol calibers and competitors will be organized into Rimfire and Centerfire divisions.

• Competitiors will be run through 4 or more action packed stages using IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules.
• Each stage will use approximately 20 rounds.
• Plan to bring at least 3 magazines and at least 150 rounds of ammunition for your rifle.
• You will need a sling or case to carry your rifle when not shooting.
• Please arrive at the range with your rifle cased or flagged.
• Registration begins at 8:00AM and shooting will commence shortly afterwards. Because we are not squadding, registration will continue till 9:30am for those who like to sleep in [smile].
• There is a $20 entry fee.
• If you have a single point sling, or similar tactical type sling which allows the muzzle to point down when hanging, you can rig up in the Safety Area and move from stage to stage slung with the muzzle down and a chamber indicator in the action.
• Standard hunting type shoulder slings are not permitted for movement from stage to stage and, in this case, you will need to keep the gun cased when not at the shooting line.
• PSC operates a "Cold" Range. No guns will be loaded except when at the firing line and ready to shoot.
• Remember, carbines aren't just AR's & AK's. If all you have is a Henry Lever Action 22, bring it on out and have a blast shooting the match!!
• Always check the Pioneer Sportsmen Club Calendar for the most current match information.​

Driving Directions are here

Pioneer Sportsmen Club always has very creative stages which utilize our "Shoot House", "The Wall" and often vehicles. Come find out what our diabolical team has dreamed up for this match! Hope to see you there!!

Robert Wescott
Match Director
[email protected]

Last edited:
You say you will be using "IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules"

Without reading an entire IDPA rulebook, can somebody summarize any key points I will need to know. I am a USPSA pistol shooter, I have shot the USPSA rifle matches at Harvard and New Bedford. Are the shooters required to shoot from cover, reload from cover, retain empty mags?

You say you will be using "IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules"

Without reading an entire IDPA rulebook, can somebody summarize any key points I will need to know. I am a USPSA pistol shooter, I have shot the USPSA rifle matches at Harvard and New Bedford. Are the shooters required to shoot from cover, reload from cover, retain empty mags?

I think you need to wear a trench coat for concealment too.[rofl]

I think you need to wear a trench coat for concealment too.[rofl]

That wouldn't surprise me.

another serious question looking for a serious answer, however responses making fun of IDPA rules will also be tolerated.... Are belt carried magazine pouches required, or can I use my back pocket?

Sean,
I inquired similar questions once. I believe no cover garment is required, and I don't see why you can't grab a mag from your pocket. There may be stage round count limits. I think there are for their "multigun" matches.

This is going to be a fun match with a relaxed atmosphere. We're using IDPA targets and scoring will be along the lines of IDPA rules. Yes, shooting from behind cover will be required, unless otherwise dictated by the stage designer. Mag holsters are not required. As long as you can retrieve and insert your mags safely, you can use your pockets. Don't over think this, just show up for a fun day of shooting! :)

The Meteorologists have changed their mind (shocking), it should be pleasant weather!

Bring a spare pair of shoes. When I was talking to the MD this AM it was raining pretty hard. Past experience at Pioneer says the drainage isn't the greatest.

Spare shoes=dry feet for the ride home.

is there a limit to rounds in a magazine? - if I use a rifle which I only have 2 25 round magazines, is that sufficient?

From the original post

• Competitiors will be run through 4 or more action packed stages using IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules.
• Plan to bring at least 3 magazines and at least 150 rounds of ammunition for your rifle.

From the original post

yes, but it doesn't really answer my question.. i can shoot a whole stage with one or two 25 round magazines if there are no forced reloads or capacity limits...

yes, but it doesn't really answer my question.. i can shoot a whole stage with one or two 25 round magazines if there are no forced reloads or capacity limits...

I suppose you could top both up, reload with retention, the reload back to the first magazine if there were two mandatory changes. I have a feeling that everybody running this will be willing to work with you. What rifle are you using?

I want to thank the crew at Pioneer for running this match. It was my first time, and it showed. I had fun, and ran into a few NES members, but nobody I knew well. I'll be back :)

Back
Top Bottom