Dies for 460?

I know there are dies specifically for S&W 460, but I also load for 45 Colt and 454 Casull. I have 45 Colt dies that do 45 Colt and the 454, but will my Lee Dies do 460 also?

I am not positive on the lee dies, but my RCBS dies are separate for 460 and 45 colt........ I would assume they size different because of the diameter difference. You may be able to run them through, but it may be putting added stress on the brass. But I have been wrong before.

I do not have any first hand experience, but your question interested me so I did a little research. At least a few people seem to do it. The .460 will likely be too long for the sizing die which may or may not be an issue. I guess if you size the case and it chambers then no issue. The expander, seating die and crimp die all seem to work if properly adjusted in the press to account for the added length. I shoot a lot of old odd ball cartridges and I manage to make dies for one caliber work for another. Hardly a definitive answer I know. I will be interested in what else you find out about it.

I think the biggest problem would be the amount of adjustment available in the die in order to expand the case mouth and seat the bullet. From my searching, a crimp die should work fine in all three. The 454 casull is a lengthened 45 colt, and the 460 Mag is a lengthened 454 casull.......so all the diameters are the same.

FWIW, Lee has separate SKUs for 45 Colt and 460 Magnum dies. I think the .45 Colt sizing die is too short to accomodate the 460 Magnum.

What about going with 454 and stepping down to 45 Colt or up to 460 Mag? Truth be told I'll probably get a die set for each, but this isn't exactly a high volume round so I don't think I need a dedicated tool head for something I might shoot 100-200 a year of.

I don't know if the 454 die will do double duty. If the sizing die is the issue, just get a S&W 460 Sizing die (which will work with all three), and use the .45 Colt expander and seat/crimp die.

Back
Top Bottom