Diesel Garden Tractor

So I finally at the point in my preps where I can do something I have wanted to do for years. Build a diesel powered garden tractor. I have an old Bolens tube frame tractor with a bad engine and just bought a little Lister diesel. We will see how it goes. I want something that I can work a lot more garden quicker than a rototiller and get through the woods easier than my pickup. I figure there will be a lot more HHO lying around than gasoline in a true disaster. Eventually I would like to figure out how to rig a small gen head to ot provide some power. More importantly I think the project will be a blast and hopefully I can teach my kids a little about mechanics.

I think you're onto the right track for both goal. Listers are great thumpers, and are perfect when paired to a DC generator.

Listeroids tend to be big and heavy, though, for a mobile application like a tiller. Which one are you going with?

Here's a good page, with links to George at utterpower.com:

http://www.otherpower.com/fuking.html

I think you're onto the right track for both goal. Listers are great thumpers, and are perfect when paired to a DC generator.

Listeroids tend to be big and heavy, though, for a mobile application like a tiller. Which one are you going with?

Here's a good page, with links to George at utterpower.com:

http://www.otherpower.com/fuking.html

Lister Petter AC1. It is a small air cooled diesel. Not the big slow Listeroids.

Last edited:
This sounds awesome!
I would love a single cylinder diesel engine, gas is just so boring!

Altough i can run any briggs on gas + whatever else is around, have used WMO and even half a tank of citronella.

I've got a John Deere 870 with a Yanmar 3 cyl diesel in it. I've had it for about 20 years and it's never failed me. I've plowed with a single bottom plow, used a brushcutter every year. It's picked up round bales and I use a landscape blade to grade my road and turn the blade around and plow snow.

The engine has shipped. Got the tractor about back together. Need to get some aluminum to make an adapter to fit the Lister to the tractor. If my wife is lucky she will get to drive around on it for Mothers Day. Much better than breakfast in bed and flowers!!

The engine has shipped. Got the tractor about back together. Need to get some aluminum to make an adapter to fit the Lister to the tractor. If my wife is lucky she will get to drive around on it for Mothers Day. Much better than breakfast in bed and flowers!!

That's a good woman sir. :)

Back
Top Bottom