• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Digging the S&W 69 and 66-8

since revolvers are strictly range toys for me, i also prefer longer barrel. the sight radius on the 4" barrel is just about right. when the barrels start getting shorter i just don't shoot them as well beyond ~25 yards. with a 6" barrel i can hit targets at 50 yards. when i first started shooting i was convinced the longer barrel was more accurate but now i've accepted the fact it's just my brain does a better job with a longer sight radius.

that being said if i were looking for a current production carry 357 it would almost certainly be the model 66 2.75" barrel.

I've carried both the 4" and 2 1/2". I prefer the 4", even for carry. The K-frame is a pretty big gun, and for me it isn't the barrel which is causing most of the concealment issues.

since revolvers are strictly range toys for me, i also prefer longer barrel. the sight radius on the 4" barrel is just about right. when the barrels start getting shorter i just don't shoot them as well beyond ~25 yards. with a 6" barrel i can hit targets at 50 yards. when i first started shooting i was convinced the longer barrel was more accurate but now i've accepted the fact it's just my brain does a better job with a longer sight radius.

that being said if i were looking for a current production carry 357 it would almost certainly be the model 66 2.75" barrel.

nice response.. I have several 66's, haven't really shot em much, but I picked up a 66-7, 2.5" last week from here. I went to the range and was amazed at how nice it performed, 357 mag 157 grain I think.. at 25 yards I was hammering the target with a group I would have sworn someone else shot. The kick was barely noticeable.. I look forward to playing with it, maybe break out the 3" PC model I have. I also have several 686's, one with a ported 6" barrel... no complaints with that one either.

Will preface by stating I have had nothing but problems with modern production S&W revolvers. Both 686's had to go back to S&W for extensive work, as did the 627, 640, 327 and so forth. Ultimately I got rid of each S&W revolver for various reasons. The older S&W revolvers are built to exquisite standards, but modern ones not so much. This is why I'm thrilled with the model 69 and 66-8...they feel and shoot like S&W's built 20 years ago.

Model 69:

In Fall 2016 I became enamored by the S&W Model 69 "combat magnum" chambered in 44 mag. The idea of shooting 44 mag through an L frame got me excited. Had Carl at Four Seasons order me one. Upon inspection everything looked kosher. Barrel was clocked properly. Cylinder gap was a snug 0.004" throughout. Lockup felt perfect. Trigger was very smooth, substantially better than most modern factory S&W builds. The model 69 has now seen just under 500 rds of 44 magnum. Everything from full power to light cowboy action loads. It's a bit on the snappy side but that's to be expected given only 37 oz. weight. The accuracy is phenomenal. On par or better than any 629. Perhaps this is due to the new 2 piece tensioned barrel design.

Model 66-8:

After having so much fun with the Model 69, I asked Carl to order me a 66-8 "combat magnum" chambered in 357. Sure enough, this one was built just a nicely as the Model 69, but the 66-8 is a bit more slender due to the K frame. The brushed stainless finish is more my style than the usual shiny stainless S&W finish. On first range trip I decided to compare my 686-6 (that had professional trigger job) to the new 66-8. Simply put: no contest. The model 66's bore sat lower in my hand and pointed more naturally. Perceived blast was also less, which I attribute again to the snug cylinder gap. After first range trip with the 66-8, the 686 went straight to consignment. The 66-8 is now at ~600 rds of flawless function. Accuracy is stellar. Now I can see why so many people are snobs about their old model 66's.

Anyone considering a new production 357 or 44 revolver should consider the Model 66-8/69, and this is coming from someone who has zero faith in most current S&W builds.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

View attachment 189419 View attachment 189420 View attachment 189421 View attachment 189422

I'd want a pair of Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine's in 357 & 44 to go with those sweet revolvers! [wink]

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

A bit late to this party, but I recently dug out my father's Model 66. It was a Connecticut State Police turn-in with a blued finish. Apparently the stainless finish clashed with their uniforms (that's the story I've heard!).

As for Henry rifles...somebody bring one down and help me blow off all of this .44 ammo that I have laying around (no longer have the Redhawk).

Any vendors stocking the model 66 2.75 in mass?

i haven't seen any stores in Mass with a new production model 66 in the display. for the 2.75" model (SKU 10061), even online vendors don't even have them. if you're really looking for that model, best bet would be to call S&W and ask them when they start shipping. once they are actually shipping then shops can obtain them. right now the 2.75" model doesn't really exist outside of the S&W website.

I have the model 69 4 inch and I like it a lot. As said before accuracy is very good and the trigger on mine was very good for a factory S&W, better than any new S&W I have bought recently but that's also very subjective. I'm no expert but I can't imagine this thing would take a steady diet of full power .44s. I would CCW the thing, albeit with 44 specials. At first the separate barrel/shroud setup made me a bit weary but then I realized I have a model 620 with the same setup that I've have had for years with no issues.

Last edited:
I just picked a 629 Vcomp..... OMG ... what a gun, shot full load 44mag thru it.. amazing.
c103d5de30cd01c97b2b824bbf5a40be.jpg

Then I shot the same round in my 329PD ..... couldn't unload it fast enough, put some 44 spl in it and that was ok ...
c4c28f0510719e41b28af85a9524b3ab.jpg

This is a scandium frame ..

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I held the (66-8) 2.75" yesterday.... decisions decisions...

I really wish they had a 6" model as well.

I would love to have a (66-8) 6" & 2.75"

The 4" is so close to the 2.75" in length, I can't justify "both"

But if they had a (66-8) 6" I would find a way to buy it in "both" the 6" & 2.75"

I held the (66-8) 2.75" yesterday.... decisions decisions...

I really wish they had a 6" model as well.

I would love to have a (66-8) 6" & 2.75"

The 4" is so close to the 2.75" in length, I can't justify "both"

But if they had a (66-8) 6" I would find a way to buy it in "both" the 6" & 2.75"

nice ...

2 questions, how much and who has it ... ? [grin]

Back
Top Bottom