• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dirty Dirty Dirty

I just picked up a S&W 5904 for short money. The gun is about 12 years old and looks like it hasn't been cleaned in as many years. What's the best way to get rid of the stubborn blackness that won't come off, or out of those hard to reach corners? It seems to be immune to hoppes and Gunscrubber loosened a little bit of it. So, what's your solution?

Some of that hard to remove stuff migh actually be lead deposits so it might take a bit of elbow grease and Foul-Out.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works pretty good for other crud.

If it's really bad you could bring it to a gunsmith or shop that has an ultrasonic cleaner.

Do a field strip and run the individual components through an automotive type parts washer. (Make sure the solvent is compatible with your finish) Use the wash brush to get into all the nooks and crannies. Then use your usual processes to finalize the cleaning. Be sure to relubricate after using a solvent as it will be very dry.

Chris

When I bought my ruger MkII it was in similar condition. Brake cleaner worked well. I also ended up soaking it in hot water with some detergent becasue the previous owner lubed it but didn't clean it, so it was caked with greasy grime (it was really bad).

A little elbow grease with a tooth brush and the above did the trick. The dealer could have charged more if he'd just cleaned it up a bit...

I use lacquer thinner to clean my 65and other s/s firearms. Really gets out the crud. But I would highly suggest rubber gloves and fresh air in the cleaning area. I’ve used brake cleaner but it seemed to leave a film.

A while back, I bought two guns - Colt Mustang and a S&W Model 10 - that were in similar condition. Actually, the Model 10 might not have been cleaned for 30 years. I started with the Mustang because it was bad, but not as bad as the Smith.

I field stripped it, removed the grips, put it in a small tupperware container, and poured in enough M-Pro 7 to submerge it. I let it soak for about a week. I took it out, brushed it everywhere with a nylon stripping brush (like a toothbrush but with black bristles that are much stiffer than a toothbrush - you can get them at the hardware store). When everything was loose, I sprayed it down with brake cleaner, let it dry and lubed it. It came out as clean a whistle.

However, if you want an easier way to get it really clean, take LogInName's advice and find an ultrasonic cleaner.

To clean the Smith 10, I have access (at work) to an ultrasonic solvent degreaser. I brought the revolver in on a Saturday morning just before they were going to change the solvent. I removed the grips, cylinder, and side plate and put the parts (sans grips) into a basket. This cleaner has 3 "bays" in it. The first is a vapor stage where the parts are placed into hot solvent vapors. I put in in there for a couple of minutes. The second stage is a vat of hot solvent with an ultrasonic transducer. I submerged it in that for about a minute, then dunked it in the final station which is a "rinse" in cold solvent. In less than 5 minutes, I had the cleanest gun I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Anthonyne, how do you like your 5904? I shot a rental last week and really liked it. I'm thinking about getting one for my first gun. It's not too big, pretty good with recoil and a very nice price. I alsowant to shoot a S&W Sigma Series (9ve or 9gve) before I decide. 4 seasons is selling them new for $300.

Welcome aboard,
Anthonyne, how do you like your 5904? ..... I alsowant to shoot a S&W Sigma Series (9ve or 9gve) before I decide

As a preveious (sigma) owner of both, I would take a used 5900 series or 6900 series over a Sigma any day. I love the 5900/6900 series.

Back
Top Bottom