• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do MA police need an LTC to purchase and own personal firearms?

There are a few questions in the OPs post. I cant speak to some of them, but:

Regarding possession, a qualifying LEO can legally carry a firearm and any type of ammo in all 50 states in accordance with LEOSA (18 USC 926B). Massachusetts law regarding possession is trumped by the federal law (LEOSA). Agency policy is another matter entirely. LEOSA is worth a read and has many problems, but for the most part a qualifying LEO can carry whatever they want except a machine gun, silencer or destructive device, just on their badge/credentials. This law extends into retirement (18 USC 926C) where the problems get even bigger and can render the law useless for many.

For public use aircraft, you can ‘fly on the badge’.
That's a very scary thought! I have tried MS Flight Simulator a few times as well as the flying/landing software at the Aviation Museum in Manchester, NH. In all cases I've crashed. I have a badge but I'd never want to really try to fly an aircraft based on that!

That's a very scary thought! I have tried MS Flight Simulator a few times as well as the flying/landing software at the Aviation Museum in Manchester, NH. In all cases I've crashed. I have a badge but I'd never want to really try to fly an aircraft based on that!
The agency operating the aircraft will have their own requirements. Usually, at a minimum, you need a private pilot certificate.

Back
Top Bottom