• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do You Stake Your Castle Nut?

Do you stake your castle nut?

• Yes

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
no, it is nut that turns - potentially - on the tube. just look at it again, it is self evident. you got to have something done to make sure it will remain seated in that thread.
apparently, the mystery of a loctite use is a damn witchcraft for most here, but, whatever.
When putting it together (my first). Most things I read were adamant about NOT using loctite on buffer tube. I used it for my handguard though as it was recommended by manufacturer.

I would stake the front and rear take down pins, this way you won’t be able to see inside, and if you can’t see inside, then you don’t know how dirty it is, and if you don’t know how dirty it is, you can assume it’s clean and you don’t have to clean it..win, win no matter how you look at it…

Rifle length with A2 style stock doesn't use a castle nut I don't think.
Correct- a drop of loctite on a last thread on tube and loctite on a bolt that secures stock to the thread in the tube. That all keeps it in place.
Use a wide bit and torque wrench on a bolt.
54A7945A-9CD1-4868-8613-DE0F3F63FD31.jpeg

i forgot to show one more. if you use aero parts :) - they had some improvements there to the design, it is how their carbine tube looks like - to prevent any rotation.
sorry, photo did not look so shitty on the phone and i locked safe back now. but it should be evident enough of how it is and what it is for.
that lower was not shot yet, so, still has excessive silicon lube at the buffer.
E701EBC7-6469-4999-9B75-BCBE0483EA8A.jpeg

I don’t , I just paint mark a line Incase and check with complete cleanings and never had a loose one yet.
One with 8k rounds has been 99.9% besides a broken bolt

Last edited:
If it is a milspec castle nut, it is designed to be staked as it has staking notches. There are some nuts that have a set screw and some Gucci nuts that don't have any notches to stake towards.

There are also newer contraptions out there trying to make the "better mousetrap". Here's a ratcheting set:

But considering once a build hits final form, there's little actual utility in having a locking/unlocking system. I mean, how often does one plan on removing the castle nut necessitating this type of thing? Staking is simple and well documented as being the right solution.

not on my most recent build.
I went fancy and got the primary weapon systems ratcheting one

I have nothing against it. How is the build quality and how stable is that pin that keeps the castle nut in place? It would definitely add to a clean Gucci aesthetic, as long as it is reliable. Just a tad unnecessary, but so is most Gucci stuff.

I went with "It Depends." Not opposed to staking on a rifle that's ready for use but:
1. I'm not firing enough to loosen anything on this gun
2. It's currently a range toy- I spend more time taking it apart and trying out parts than being an operator.

I have nothing against it. How is the build quality and how stable is that pin that keeps the castle nut in place? It would definitely add to a clean Gucci aesthetic, as long as it is reliable. Just a tad unnecessary, but so is most Gucci stuff.
it definatly a solid little piece. I have a tendancy to good and tight stuff and then some and it just grabbed and held without slipping

i personally hate hammering at threaded connectors. you stake nothing on your race car yet it is not falling apart, one just got to know how to torque and how to maintain.
the castle nut on a M4 carbine is not staked on the threads. The castle nut should have a notch and you stake it there into the retention plate.

Back
Top Bottom