Doctors and the guns in the house question...

Show me on the statist doll where I have to answer about something IN EXCESS OF the full retard MA storage laws?
I do not have to have trigger locks on a firearm in a locked container,
I do not have to have it unloaded in said locked container,
and I do not have to store the ammunition separately.

F**K YOU

Also, as an EMR software vendor, it's *unlikely* that she has 'personal notes' that do not go into 'the system', she's either ignorant about her software, incompetent in her understanding of it's use, or she's just a bald faced liar. Change doctors. Today.
Since it's a female I vote the latter

Show me on the statist doll where I have to answer about something IN EXCESS OF the full retard MA storage laws?
I do not have to have trigger locks on a firearm in a locked container,
I do not have to have it unloaded in said locked container,
and I do not have to store the ammunition separately.

F**K YOU

Also, as an EMR software vendor, it's *unlikely* that she has 'personal notes' that do not go into 'the system', she's either ignorant about her software, incompetent in her understanding of it's use, or she's just a bald faced liar. Change doctors. Today.
Since it's a female I vote the latter

Ah.

The monthly “doctor question” thread. I guess we should all just go ahead and post the same thing we always post, in the hope that we’ll somehow discover something new?

Ok, here goes. Doc asks "any dangerous hobbies" to which I respond "yes, I shoot guns and ride a motorcycle...pause....but *never* at the same time." You asked for it ;-)

Since I dont live in the PRM anymore, I'll be sure to respond to this next time with "yes I do" I keep it under my pillow cocked and locked.
Chances are, if you switch to a doctor IN NH, you won't get asked that at all. I've yet to be asked that in the [almost] two years I've been seeing two different doctors. Both are in NH (Pelham and Nashua). If you are interested in changing doctors, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the location I go to in Pelham. It's actually not far from the town hall. :)

I only ask my patients the gun question if kids are in the household. I dont record answers to the question either. I only ask it to further discussion on lowering the risk of a negligent disaster.

If they say yes, I ask if them to keep them out of reach of young children and that they may want to consider teaching kids 8 years of age and older about gun safety or introducing them to shooting.

I usually get the stink eye too at first, but when I follow it up with proper firearm education and safety regarding kids most seem to relax a bit.

I also discuss childhood nutrition, woodstoves, smoke detectors, seatbelts and car seats, not letting the xbox raise your kid, learning disabilities, sports safety, water safety, radon, well water testing, drugs and signs of childhood depression.

What I dont do is lecture them on how to store firearms or ammunition or whether they should keep them unloaded or not. And if theres no kids in the house I dont bring it up at all. But thats just me.

What type of health care are you in? Are you required to ask any or all of those questions?

In NH I get a form with a bunch of questions. I answer the relevant ones and then when they call me in I tell them I didn't have time to finish it. It just goes away.

I had my physical today - the dr. is part of the Leahey clinic. No question about firearms. So all is not lost, and this is apparently not universal.

Should have told the Doc MYOB. When they ask if I feel safe in my house I ask who should I be afraid of?
Why do they ask that every time? When my wife and I go to the doctors, they give us a sheet to fill out. It asks what we are here for today and if we need a refill on anything. The last question is do you feel safe st home. Why is that? They seem to be fixated on safety. I stubbed my toe on my fireplace. It was black and blue, but not broken. I showed the doctor and she asked if I was angry when I did it? WTF? It was the middle of the night and dark.

Chances are, if you switch to a doctor IN NH, you won't get asked that at all. I've yet to be asked that in the [almost] two years I've been seeing two different doctors. Both are in NH (Pelham and Nashua). If you are interested in changing doctors, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the location I go to in Pelham. It's actually not far from the town hall. :)
I dont go to the doctors often, but I think I will stay with my wifes really cute doc. I should be ready for a hernia check soon?

I stubbed my toe on my fireplace. It was black and blue, but not broken. I showed the doctor and she asked if I was angry when I did it? WTF? It was the middle of the night and dark.

Uncontrolled anger = danger = excuse for someone to come into your home, or to question suitability. More overreach.

I've never been asked personally by my dr, but my kids were questioned. As much as I prepared them about such questioning, one of the 3 slipped up and told the dr that she occasionally goes to the range with me and she really enjoyed it. Sure enough, next visits included lead levels for the 3 of them. I like the doc, but I was not happy about this.

Are you a pediatrician?

:emoji_tiger:

I work in adult critical care and family medicine right now. I see pediatric and adult patients in the family practice I work at. Some of the families I see I care from grandparents to infants all in the same family.

I only ask the laundry list of questions with new patients, patients there for yearly physicals, or patients that come in once every 10 years.

That's the nice thing about being a nurse practitioner. I can work in several specialties without having to be relegated to one like many physicians. Though we do have family physicians that moonlight as acute care hospitalists in our medical system.

What type of health care are you in? Are you required to ask any or all of those questions?

In NH I get a form with a bunch of questions. I answer the relevant ones and then when they call me in I tell them I didn't have time to finish it. It just goes away.

Critical care and family practice right now.

With most people these questions are redundant and unnecessary. And no they are not required. But you have to think that health care providers dont just see average well adjusted people. We see people with major undiagnosed medical conditions, severe depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and sometimes just pretty dim bulbs that dont know why its important not to heat the baby's room with a kerosene heater all winter.

Unfortunately we dont have crystal balls to separate the normal ones from those that have cancer, chronic diseases, mental illnesses (most mild mental illnesses are treated soley by general practitioners), need counseling and/or additional emotional, medical, or financial resources unless we ask some of these questions.

We don't report people with mental illness to the authorities either at least not in the state of NH. I don't know what craziness goes on down on MA. If I was ever asked by the state to do this, I would tell them that frankly its none of their business unless that person was a suicidal or homicidal risk. If that's the case Im required by law to do so.

My patients are more than welcome to tell me to shove it if they want. Lol. Ive heard worse.

If so, Ill be more than happy to refer that patient to a doc that will treat them like a number, spend 2 minutes with them, mis-diagnose them, prescribe the wrong medication, and gladly cash their insurance payments so they can make their tee time. Im just not one of those providers.

Virtually NONE of that is any business of a doctor. Perhaps nutrition, recognizing disabilities and drugs/depression.

The stuff about guns, woodstoves, seatbelts and so on. That's no concern of yours. You could ask the parent if they WANT some advice on those topics, but beyond that, MYOB.

Actually last time I checked I can ask anyone anything I want. And you have the right to tell me anything you want. Its a free country.

But just so you know there isnt some sort of permanent record Im gathering in order to persecute a person with.

A good portion of my job is public health and prevention. I ask the questions and give my thoughts on it. Thats all. If you want to drive without a seatbelt or even light roman candles from your rectum in your living room thats up to you.

I just want a clean conscience when you show up in the ED with 3rd degree burns where the sun doesnt shine.

I only ask my patients the gun question if kids are in the household. I also discuss childhood nutrition, woodstoves, smoke detectors, seatbelts and car seats, not letting the xbox raise your kid, learning disabilities, sports safety, water safety, radon, well water testing, drugs and signs of childhood depression. What I dont do is lecture them on how to store firearms or ammunition or whether they should keep them unloaded or not. And if theres no kids in the house I dont bring it up at all. But thats just me.

It is with no animosity toward you, and just a point of fact that were I your patient you would not get 1/4 of the way through that "This Old House with Bob Villa" list of topics unrelated to my health before I simply got up and left the building.

I pay a doctor to diagnosis my health, I do not want their unsolicited advice on anything beyond that.

@H-minus I am certain you are a kind and well meaning individual with the noblest of intentions. I am not a heel and my life was once saved by physicians that were smart, dedicated, and selfless with their concern, time, and efforts. (yeah there's a potential bad pun in there)

However, I do not buy into a trend, largely driven by the media, which lionizes elements of the medical profession and urges use to bow to their stated clinical certainty over our own individual convictions on issues like guns and family values.

Note to self: I have way too much time on my hands this week, stop being pompous.

It is with no animosity toward you, and just a point of fact that were I your patient you would not get 1/4 of the way through that "This Old House with Bob Villa" list of topics unrelated to my health before I simply got up and left the building.

I pay a doctor to diagnosis my health, I do not want their unsolicited advice on anything beyond that.

@H-minus I am certain you are a kind and well meaning individual with the noblest of intentions. I am not a heel and my life was once saved by physicians that were smart, dedicated, and selfless with their concern, time, and efforts. (yeah there's a potential bad pun in there)

However, I do not buy into a trend, largely driven by the media, which lionizes elements of the medical profession and urges use to bow to their stated clinical certainty over our own individual convictions on issues like guns and family values.

Note to self: I have way too much time on my hands this week, stop being pompous.

I couldn't agree more with much of this. It's understandable with all the talk lately about giving protected health information to the state that many would be wary. Most of this comes from politicians and the media but there are also a faction of healthcare providers who would go along with this misguided plan wholeheartedly.

I'm not one of them and there are many others like me. Medical opinions are just that though, opinions based on the best info we have at the time. We share this info with our patients but ultimately it is up to them to take our advice or not, and sometimes we are wrong. At the end of the day were just people like everyone else and most of us are just trying to do our jobs as best we can just like everybody else despite what the MSM makes us out to be.

I love firearms and have since I got my first 22 when I was 9 years old.

I personally would never compromise patient information in order to strip someone of their 2A rights or any of their rights for that matter. If that day were ever to come where I was forced to, would be the day I had to start looking for a new profession.

This is all part of the trend to use doctors and other healthcare workers to work as data entry clerks for Big Data.

Epic CEO Judy Faulkner is standing behind switch from EHRs to 'CHRs'

When you see your doctor, unless you are with one of the very few independent old-school practitioners or with a boutique practice, remember - you are dealing with a data entry clerk employed by Big Data whose job is to click boxes which their bosses told them to click.

Also, if you want to piss them off, tell them that you'll remember them when you will be filling your patient satisfaction survey. That will make them feel little and powerless. That's kinda below the belt, though.

I keep mine outside now, the damn things keep going off on their own anyway so its safer that way.

^^^^ Well Doc, not in the house. I had too many guns for the house so I built a shed over a 30 ft deep circular well with a spiral staircase to store them. Easy access. The lead roof to prevent the aliens from spying on my guns required some engineering though. Oh, you’re not a spy, are you? Of course not, you’re my doctor. There is one issue, though, with the ammo. You see MA only allows 30,000 rounds in the home and I’ve got like 1,000,000 rounds stacked up in case of, you know, when the SHTF. BTW Doc, how are you prepped for the upcoming troubles? The ammo well isn’t working as good as the gun pit though. The problem is that I’ve got it stacked from smallest caliber to largest. Thus the 50 BMG is at the bottom of the well and I have to unpack everything to get to it to feed the Barrett when the bad guys come to get me in an MRAP. I’ve so got to come up with a different ammo plan! Hey Doc, did you ever fire a Barrett? WHAT A RUSH!
Thanks for asking about guns in the home,

I agree with you. I’m going to see the doctor for a reason. If I want to know the doctors thoughts on guns or if I think I’m safe at home I’ll ask him or her. Anything else is NOYB. It’s none of anyone’s business what I do in my home. Now if it looks like a kid is being abused or something like that, that’s different. This nanny crap started like 6 or 7 yrs ago I guess. It’s very intrusive.

I personally would never compromise patient information in order to strip someone of their 2A rights or any of their rights for that matter. If that day were ever to come where I was forced to, would be the day I had to start looking for a new profession.
Here's what you don't understand. By asking questions that are neither relevant nor any of your business nor an area you're competent in, and documenting that in a medical record, you have already become one link in the chain in "compromising patient information in order to strip someone of their 2A rights".

Today we have HIPAA and private medicine. In 2020 we could have President Maura Healey, HIPAA could be dust, and socialized medicine could be getting off the ground. Do you have the control over those records so that you can destroy them if and when HHS wants them all put in a centralized EMR database? Would you be willing to go to jail to do so?

If you think through some of the worst things that have ever happened in history, do you think they were made possible by people who knew exactly what they were a part of? Or were there just millions of people each doing their individual jobs without taking a second to think about the chain of consequences that could follow as laws change and time passes?

The God complexes of people in medicine are astounding. My lawyer that doesn't try to delve into every aspect of my life where i may be putting myself in legal jeopardy. My mechanic doesn't try to delve into my driving habits when I get an oil change even though it affects my car. They're hired to do a job and they do it competently. Why do you think it's OK for you to dig into every nook and cranny of my life just because it's tangentially related to 'health'? [puke]

Today we have HIPAA and private medicine. In 2020 we could have President Maura Healey, HIPAA could be dust
The groundwork is already in place. HIPPA contains "national security" exception.

This. I've been trying to get a diagnosis for months regarding some issues and it seems like no doc is actually paying attention to what I'm saying. if I went to a new doc and got interrogated about woodstoves and seatbelts at this point it wouldn't be pretty and I would think that doctor is a moron.

"Guns? No. Just 58lbs of black tar heroin."

"WHAT???"

"Yeah. Along with an illegally caught, very pissed off Thresher shark, the original to the Zapruder film and the current address of both Marilyn Monroe and Elvis."

"I'm not sure what to do with any of that."

"Just like the gun question, eh?"

Or better yet:

"Lemme ask you: Do you know any doctors that have had patients die directly under their care? Or perhaps yourself?"

"Uhhh, yeah. A couple."

"I know a big pile of guns. No deaths. How about we trade notes on this one?"

"OK, next question!"

Back
Top Bottom