Does anyone shoot a S&W 1911 9mm Pro series competitively?

As lugnut and I both said from the beginning, go with the STI.

Maybe it's just me, but my 9mm STI throws up as soon as there's a grain of sand somewhere in the general area. My pet-name for it is "Failure to Return to Battery". It would probably be perfect if I field-stripped after every stage, but I'm just not willing to do that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a joy to shoot, but reliable it ain't.

Had at least 4-5 failures today that really threw me off at HSC.

I'm torn as whether to dick around with the factory more or just take it to one of the local gunsmiths and have them figure it out.

I would really like to shoot that gun with my mags and ammo that I know feed in the Springfield I had worked on by a quality gun smith.

As for the comments on the warranty being void after a gunsmith worked on it

0a431020.gif

Below is the exact text taken from the S&W Warranty page written in the owner's manuals. It specifically states that if a non-S&W gunsmith works on the gun it has to be with their authorization and use their procedures.

Smith & Wesson will not be responsible for:
• Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling,
unauthorized adjustments or modifications made or attempted
by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following Smith &
Wesson authorized procedures, or failure to follow the disassembly
instructions in the Smith & Wesson manual.

Below is the exact text taken from the S&W Warranty page written in the owner's manuals. It specifically states that if a non-S&W gunsmith works on the gun it has to be with their authorization and use their procedures.

Smith & Wesson will not be responsible for:
• Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling,
unauthorized adjustments or modifications made or attempted
by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following Smith &
Wesson authorized procedures
, or failure to follow the disassembly
instructions in the Smith & Wesson manual.

Actually it says "...qualified gunsmith following Smith & Wesson authorized procedures..." Nothing about it having to be a S&W gunsmith.

Last edited:
Actually it says "...qualified gunsmith following Smith & Wesson authorized procedures..." Nothing about it having to be a S&W gunsmith.

Absolutely correct. The key is that the "procedure has to be authorized". I can't imagine that S&W will let some non-S&W smith do warranty covered work on their guns lightly. It just doesn't make sense for them.

Absolutely correct. The key is that the "procedure has to be authorized". I can't imagine that S&W will let some non-S&W smith do warranty covered work on their guns lightly. It just doesn't make sense for them.

What's to say a non-S&W 'smith can't get a copy of the procedures? Could just be semantics, but I'm not reading that as "If a non-S&W gunsmith touches it, your warranty is voided."

What's to say a non-S&W 'smith can't get a copy of the procedures? Could just be semantics, but I'm not reading that as "If a non-S&W gunsmith touches it, your warranty is voided."

If it's anything like the big makers in computer-land... you can get some BS certification from the company to do warranty repairs.
Doesn't Sig, for instance, do an armorers certification?

As a practical matter, S&W will still do work on the gun although they may remove gunsmith-installed parts if they're part of the problem - even if they've been worked on.

I decided to send it back one more time. If it doesn't work after this, I'll either sell it in disgust or leave it with Greg Derr or Dave Santurri and have them work it out.

To be fair, I don't really expect it to come back fixed. Be nice if it did - if it doesn't, I'll drop it off with Greg Derr.

Update: As expected, the note from S&W in the box (which, by the way, Fedex managed to turn into a passable facsimile of an accordion) says they replaced the extractor spring. Big whoop.

Good luck and let us know if it works. I brought my new and never worked properly SW1911 DK 38super to Santurri last week because I didn't want to deal with SW again. I'd rather pay an expert who will take the time to ensure it's done right.

Update: As expected, the note from S&W in the box (which, by the way, Fedex managed to turn into a passable facsimile of an accordion) says they replaced the extractor spring. Big whoop.

I still want to shoot this gun. Come to Independent tomorrow and I will let you try my Springfield and will tell you who did the work [wink]

Well, no malfunctions yesterday at the Hampden match, nor today with another 250+ rounds down the pipe from four inexperienced shooters. Maybe it's fixed...

Bummer. I have nthing but great luck with mine

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Found this old thread and I retract this statement. I have still had nothing but great luck shooting off a bench with emergency reloads but... Last night at HSC, I found that in SW1911 pro series 9mm, putting a full mag in after chambering a round, getting the mag to seat is difficult. Even with what I would consider a hard whack to seat, I still had issues. Mlaboss helped me determine it is that the spring tension in the mags is so tight you need to overcome it. It makes sense because the mag is hard to load at the end and I have two mags that came with it and two that I bought after. One set is better than the other.

I'm still going to shoot it for the time being. I have a glock 17 but I would need to go get some gear, and I will just use what I have for now while I am learning.

Found this old thread and I retract this statement. I have still had nothing but great luck shooting off a bench with emergency reloads but... Last night at HSC, I found that in SW1911 pro series 9mm, putting a full mag in after chambering a round, getting the mag to seat is difficult. Even with what I would consider a hard whack to seat, I still had issues. Mlaboss helped me determine it is that the spring tension in the mags is so tight you need to overcome it. It makes sense because the mag is hard to load at the end and I have two mags that came with it and two that I bought after. One set is better than the other.

I'm still going to shoot it for the time being. I have a glock 17 but I would need to go get some gear, and I will just use what I have for now while I am learning.

What mags are you using?

Back
Top Bottom