• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does Shooters outpost negotiate used gun prices?

To be very clear.

I’m still kicking my ass years later on my failure to buy a mint condition HK91 way back for I think 1500.00.

It was a lot of money to me back then.
LOL, I remember the HK 91 and 93 being $700 at Rileys. The HK94 was $600, so I bought that because I liked the looks of it. Denver asked me what I was going to do with it. I still have it, the plastic is showing micro cracks. It's worth north of $4000 I think. I bought 12 magazines for it over the years. I don't think I paid more then $10 a piece. I have straight magazines, dated in the 60s still in the plastic. Now I wonder if @Tartakovsky is going to come here and ask me to sell it?

Last edited:
I do try to consign at S/O, though. They give you a check within a day or so of selling it. LGS gives the buyer a 10 day inspection period, and up to 45 days after before they pay you. :rolleyes:

Only bad thing is that Shooters is 50 miles each way, and LGS is 5.

I do try to consign at S/O, though. They give you a check within a day or so of selling it. LGS gives the buyer a 10 day inspection period, and up to 45 days after before they pay you. :rolleyes:
Most places will not do this.

Then again I suspect that they didn't want that kind of reputation, for collecting a vig for foisting junk on people.

There was a now defunct gun shop in Western mass, where the in joke was, if you had a shitty gun the factory wouldn't fix right, you would jusr go dump it there, and it would just "go away" and you'd get money for it. 🤣 I never availed myself of that because i believed it to be dishonest. But it was a thing, and people from central MA used to lug their S&W, ruger, and other repeat, persistent factory lemons out there to dump. "Did you squib bulge the barrel in a way that most people wouldn't notice? Did you strip out a scope mount screw and just glue it in with loctite red instead of fixing it right? Bring it to AAA guns... where used guns go to die" [rofl]

It was bad enough at one point that my gunsmith at the time warned me to be careful of anything used there. 🤣

In addition to working at a number of gun stores both large and corporate and small and mom and pop, I also had the opportunity to work at a pawn shop with very high firearm volume. In fact, its the best place to buy a used gun in Bozeman Montana. The owner marked up every gun to new or higher than new price, and no matter what, if you looked at it, would knock down the price so that he could make $50 and move it...it made customers feel like they were getting a steal.

Heck I bought a LNIB Beretta M9 with 12 magazines for $350 and a LNIB Sig P226 Elite Stainless for $450...both were marked at double.

Kind of like how everything is always on sale at certain department stores, it's a marketing gimmick.

All you need to do on any gun at a shop wether new or used is say "is that your best price"? Big box stores generally won't entertain this at all.....but many small shops will especaily if your offer is in dead presidents......and if they can't drop the price should politely respond with "yes that's my best price". If I ever encountered a shop that got all pissy over a polite haggle I would just never go back. I've yet to encounter a pissy shop when haggling.
Big box stores generally don't negotiate.

But I've seen places like KTP and Cabelas drop prices on inventory significantly or have flash sale type of shit lately with like 15% off on inventory that is sitting.

Or I've seen KTP drop guns a gun 30% or more if its been sitting. Gotta be Johnny on the spot with it.....but there are good deals there sometimes. That said, they make it up because most of their other shit is priced high retail.

Beancounters don't like carrying inventory for long and they would rather just get it off the books........even at a loss sometimes, or break even. If they sell enough inventory, its about not clogging up the warehouse more than profit on a small amount of firearms.

This is a way of life for online dealers and why I buy most of my normal meh type production guns online.....as they are constantly doing this type of crap.....because competition is fierce among the drop shippers. Lately Battlehawk is my go to.....they always have the lower prices, NT, and 10% off coupon which covers shipping. Add to that, I just can't find a lot of stuff I want at local shops.

There are really not good dealers in my area either that have large inventory.....Cabelas is the closest but I won't buy a gun there unless its something priced right and made of unobtainium. Because the process is like having my balls kicked 12 times.

Last edited:
I've negotiated on used guns at a couple different stores. Especially if paying cash and buying more than one gun. My first milsurp I bought in a store the clerk actually negotiated down because he thought it was priced high and knew I was a milsurp newb

I had ordered a gun at Riley's once and when I went to pick it up I looked at a nickel Colt King Cobra. The price was $450 and they dropped it to $350 because I was buying 2 guns. I didn't even ask.
I still have that near mint King Cobra.

I've also passed on many cheap paratrooper M1 carbines because ''Who would want this rattly piece of crap''.

To be very clear.

I’m still kicking my ass years later on my failure to buy a mint condition HK91 way back for I think 1500.00.

It was a lot of money to me back then.
I am kicking myself for not buying a lot of AKs when they were $300-400.

I could be Rapetiling everyone in the classifieds selling them for 5x.

But I've seen places like KTP and Cabelas drop prices on inventory significantly or have flash sale type of shit lately with like 15% off on inventory that is sitting.

Or I've seen KTP drop guns a gun 30% or more if its been sitting. Gotta be Johnny on the spot with it.....but there are good deals there sometimes. That said, they make it up because most of their other shit is priced high retail.

Beancounters don't like carrying inventory for long and they would rather just get it off the books........even at a loss sometimes, or break even. If they sell enough inventory, its about not clogging up the warehouse more than profit on a small amount of firearms.

This is a way of life for online dealers and why I buy most of my normal meh type production guns online.....as they are constantly doing this type of crap.....because competition is fierce among the drop shippers. Lately Battlehawk is my go to.....they always have the lower prices, NT, and 10% off coupon which covers shipping. Add to that, I just can't find a lot of stuff I want at local shops.

There are really not good dealers in my area either that have large inventory.....Cabelas is the closest but I won't buy a gun there unless its something priced right and made of unobtainium. Because the process is like having my balls kicked 12 times.
I've only purchased one gun at cabellas. A rusty old model A5 magnum. It was $150 because the external rust was significant. Internally it was fine so for $150 I said hell yeah I'll take her home. And yes.....the purchase process was absolutely like being kicked in the balls 12 times. Every time I thought they were done re re re checking the sn and the paperwork and I'd be leaving with the gun they had to call another associate to come down and check it all again. Ffs.

I've only purchased one gun at cabellas. A rusty old model A5 magnum. It was $150 because the external rust was significant. Internally it was fine so for $150 I said hell yeah I'll take her home. And yes.....the purchase process was absolutely like being kicked in the balls 12 times. Every time I thought they were done re re re checking the sn and the paperwork and I'd be leaving with the gun they had to call another associate to come down and check it all again. Ffs.

Its horrible....Ive done it several times for old guns I couldn't get that were priced pretty good and it was painful every time.

One time I was in PA and bought a simple O/U and though it woudn't be bad there.....only because it was on sale...only because it was a Cabelas only model......well cause I was from MA...it was the most painful experience ever. 2 solid fxcking hours of waiting.. No lie.

I litteraly told them if you check with any more managers or corporate over this you can keep the gun and refund me. I'm done with this bullshit.

I know I'm from MA but its a simple O/U 2 shot shotgun....28 gauge for christ sake. GMAFB...we can own shit like that even up there!

Its horrible....Ive done it several times for old guns I couldn't get that were priced pretty good and it was painful every time.

One time I was in PA and bought a simple O/U and though it woudn't be bad there.....only because it was on sale...only because it was a Cabelas only model......well cause I was from MA...it was the most painful experience ever. 2 solid fxcking hours of waiting.. No lie.

I litteraly told them if you check with any more managers or corporate over this you can keep the gun and refund me. I'm done with this bullshit.

I know I'm from MA but its a simple O/U 2 shot shotgun....28 gauge for christ sake. GMAFB...we can own shit like that even up there!
I knew the purchase process was gonna suck from hearing stories from others......buy I couldn't let that shotgun stay there lol. $150 for a magnum a5.....surface rust doesn't scare me.......it was going to be a beater for me anyway. I've shot it a few times and hit 25 on the trap range with it 3 times! She's ugly on the outside but 100 percent reliable on the inside. It was in a collection of rusty long guns in the gun room......the clerk told me an older lady and her son came in the day before and dumped a whole collection from her late husband's safe. All of them were rusty......what a shame. But I couldn't say no to that one for $150. There was a Springfield 1903......m1 carbine......a mauser.......winchester 94 in 30 30......and the worst to see......a model 97 winchester and a model 87 winchester......all rusted to f***. A damn shame. Prices were all low if course
......I'd have loved to take them all but I went for the a5 magnum. It's been a good shooter and I've loaned it out to my brother and cousin a couple of times for some hunting trips. But yeah f***......2.5 hours to purchase that gun. 🙄 and this was the store in Berlin ma.....and I'm a mass resident.

You should expect that from a store that asks for a LTC if you purchase an empty plastic box.

Prices on collectables are higher. Just bought a Dead Mask HD there that was right on par with Silencer shop. Overhead is high there. But talk to a manager, see if there is wiggle room.

I dont bother negotiating with shops, if I want a specific gun I look for it online. If it's something I want to look over in person, it's unlikely the places near me will have it and if they do it would be priced $500 over a gunbroker listing.

Does Shooters outpost negotiate used gun prices?
Never did with me... even on some clearly over-priced store-owned guns. You want it... you pay their asking price. I passed. 👎

In their partial defense, they used to run a 10% off sale on their used guns and it resulted, at times, with some pretty good deals. 👍

One scarce, desirable collector gun, in particular, was an amazing bargain... even before the 10% off. [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom