Don't Carry In NYC/NYS

Unless you have a valid permit or are a LEO anywhere within the 50 States.
I recently flew to Mississippi and my friend had two guns to check.
Once again the counter agent called for the NY/NJ Port Authority Police and three officers responded.
As it turns out two of the officers were once on my job so I asked them why the police response when, at all other airports I have been to, it is TSA who checks the weapons.
They said that it is standard at all NY airports since they tend to make a lot of arrests on people who think that their out of state permit is valid in the 5 boros.
One officer even chuckled that some small police departments in Montana have told some citizens that they are good to carry in NYC on their permit.
Guys..please don't flame the messenger!!!
I do not like these laws any more than you do.
In other words, I would love to see a pistol permit valid in all 50 states.
But until then, be warned.....NO HANDGUNS IN NYC/NYS unless legal.
Even if you are just flying through NYC and changing planes, it is possible that you may miss your flight and then stay overnight in NYC.
If that happens leave your bag with the airline to avoid having to recheck it.

If that happens leave your bag with the airline to avoid having to recheck it.
Not necessarily that easy. If the airline placed the baggage on the carousel for pickup, it goes somewhere as unclaimed baggage and would have to be claimed and re-checked - it won't automatically make it to your next flight, which was probably a rescheduled one if you are making an unexpected stay. The NYPD and port authority knowledge of FOPA86 is not something I would wish to rely on.

Not necessarily that easy. If the airline placed the baggage on the carousel for pickup, it goes somewhere as unclaimed baggage and would have to be claimed and re-checked - it won't automatically make it to your next flight, which was probably a rescheduled one if you are making an unexpected stay. The NYPD and port authority knowledge of FOPA86 is not something I would wish to rely on.
My goal is to avoid have a good guy/gal arrested.
Those wishing to contest these laws via civil disobedience are welcome to do so.
Thankfully NYC has no shortage of lawyers.

My goal is to avoid have a good guy/gal arrested.
This should be fairly easy for you to do - unless, you're goal is to have someone ELSE arrested so they can bankroll the issue at their expense, with the hope that you will benefit from their actions.

Thankfully NYC has no shortage of lawyers.
For those who can afford them. The last case of this nature I heard of resulted in all charges being dropped after $15K in legal fees.

There is a case of a UT man working its way through the system who is suing over a refusal to acknowledge FOPA86 and, since his case has been disposed of, he can't be threatened with prosecution if he does not drop the case. I hope he does well.

Most LEO's I know won't carry into NY state at all let alone NYC. Apparently the police in NY want you to prove that you are eligible under LEOSA or they take you in and sort it out later.

What is their f--ing problem? Why do they not even want LEOs to carry in NYS/NYC? They have a serious chip on their shoulder....and I thought Mass was bad. NYC sounds like China.

I'd be looking for a location to overnight ship the gun to myself at my next destination in that case. No way I'd trust NYPD to know (or care) about the Firearm Owners Protection Act.

Most LEO's I know won't carry into NY state at all let alone NYC. Apparently the police in NY want you to prove that you are eligible under LEOSA or they take you in and sort it out later.

I've heard more than one third hand account of a LEO getting detained in NY because some PDs there basically give anyone carrying under LEOSA a ration of shit/third degree treatment. I think they just have a hair up their ass because they don't like someone else (even if it's another LEO) bringing a gun into their state.

Doesn't surprise me at all given the state.

-Mike

This should be fairly easy for you to do - unless, you're goal is to have someone ELSE arrested so they can bankroll the issue at their expense, with the hope that you will benefit from their actions.

For those who can afford them. The last case of this nature I heard of resulted in all charges being dropped after $15K in legal fees.

I'm a sucker for a happy ending. (just kidding!)

Times have changed. My father had to transport a prisoner to NYC in the 60's, BPD called and asked about outside LEO's carrying in the city. They were told "you're not supposed to, none of us will bother you and you're an idiot if you don't"

I've heard more than one third hand account of a LEO getting detained in NY because some PDs there basically give anyone carrying under LEOSA a ration of shit/third degree treatment. I think they just have a hair up their ass because they don't like someone else (even if it's another LEO) bringing a gun into their state.

Doesn't surprise me at all given the state.

-Mike

Yup, I've seen the Email that went out from NYPD HQ to all officers to do this. I suspect that most officers will ignore the directive if the visiting officer isn't acting like an idiot, but it is a chance you take.

Times have changed. My father had to transport a prisoner to NYC in the 60's, BPD called and asked about outside LEO's carrying in the city. They were told "you're not supposed to, none of us will bother you and you're an idiot if you don't"

That has been basically true across the US forever, however there is always the chance of running across some tight-ass cop looking to "make a reputation" and hassle a visiting officer. Almost every city/town has at least one officer like that, so visiting officers are "playing the odds".

I've only had to be in NYC once in 20 years and I hope I never again have to go there. Regrettably, I did have to go to/thru their airports a few times over those years, again hope to never do it again.

The OP advised not to carry in New York (the City or the State).

My advice would be not to travel to New York (the City or the State), which renders all other issues moot.

A guy I know transports prisoners from Massachusetts to Kennedy airport and ALWAYS carries his handgun. Never had a problem with the police. Goes right through the airport and bypasses the security checkpoints too.

In other words, I would love to see a pistol permit valid in all 50 states.

I'd like to see no permit required in all 50 states...but that's just me.

There is a case of a UT man working its way through the system who is suing over a refusal to acknowledge FOPA86 and, since his case has been disposed of, he can't be threatened with prosecution if he does not drop the case. I hope he does well.

Any news on this case recently? I haven't heard anything on it since it first hit the news.

this is tin foilery at its finest.

bunch of commandoes "speculating" that the NYPD will waterboard you until you can prove that your legal gun owner [rolleyes]

rightfully so, because the NYPD will run all out of state license plates that is linked to the national database with CCW info. so they'll confiscate your guns and sodomize you with a broom stick.

this is tin foilery at its finest.

bunch of commandoes "speculating" that the NYPD will waterboard you until you can prove that your legal gun owner [rolleyes]

rightfully so, because the NYPD will run all out of state license plates that is linked to the national database with CCW info. so they'll confiscate your guns and sodomize you with a broom stick.

As much as I love tinfoil..... there is an element of truth to some of this stuff. NY, and NYC specifically, are probably the last places I would ever want to be caught carrying a gun "without papers". Those doing so (even under arguably legal exemptions) should "tread carefully".

-Mike

As much as I love tinfoil..... there is an element of truth to some of this stuff. NY, and NYC specifically, are probably the last places I would ever want to be caught carrying a gun "without papers". Those doing so (even under arguably legal exemptions) should "tread carefully".

-Mike

[wink]

gotcha,

kinda like MA, "most" outsiders think we can't even own guns, let alone carry them. with the Boston PD LTC Application vs. the NYC "permit" application leaves alot open to the imagination as well. but with, say???? hundreds (if not thousands) of flights going through La Guardia and JFK Intl' - .... how often is an "innocent" gun owner intercepted for flying through? how often is a random gun owner pulled over on FDR Drive???? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom