Double Tap Ammo Problem

The Goose

NES Member
Saturday I took my relatively new S&W Nightguard .44 special to the range. I had bought a few boxes of Double Tap 200 gr. Gold Dots for personal protection ammo and wanted to test it out. I loaded 5 rds and began shooting. First round went bang. Second round went pop with very little recoil. I saw a hole in the paper so I knew the bullet had exited the barrel. Third round went bang then fourth went pop again and fifth went bang. I opened the cylinder and tried to eject the cases, but the ejector rod would not move. Finally, I banged the rod on the table and the cases ejected. I attempted to close the cylinder, but it would not close. So I just bagged it and switched to another gun.

When I got home I removed the cylinder. The charge holes were caked with unburnt powder. It had also gotten under the star when I ejected the cases which is why the cylinder would not close. After a thorough cleaning everything functioned fine. I emailed Mike McNett at Double Tap and am waiting for a response. However, I have never had anything like this happen with commercial "carry" or "self defense" ammo. I have had semi autos that did not like a particular brand or bullet shape, but that's it. The Nightguard was slated to be a home defense/nightstand gun. All I could think was what if it had been the middle of the night and my life was on the line?

So I ask the question; do I shoot the rest of that box and see what happens? Send it back? Shoot several boxes to check for reliability? Abandon the brand altogether? What would you do? Also I am assuming it is the ammo, could the gun be somehow at fault?

Looks like a manufactures problem with that batch. I have used DT before with no issues. Mike should honor a replacement.

In a carry load for .44 special I recommend Winchester 200 Gr. Silvertip -HP

Using "regular" primers where "magnum" primers are required will yield exactly what you experienced.

I've noticed that the back order at Midway for DT 44S&W has been pushed back three times since the first of the month, now to 12/26. I wonder if it's evidence of a problem with the latest batch of ammo as some have suggested.

What other loads are just barely subsonic? 44 JHP loads seem to be either cowboy or full magnum loads with very little in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom