• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drunks at Ayer Sportsmen's Club call cops on shooters

I dont get it??? I am new to the board and just applied for my MASS LTC-A so someone help me out. Why would the police be called to a shooting range? Is is illegal to shoot an AR? Do some people join a gun range/club and just go there to drink and complain when peolpe shoot? I think I missed something

The noise is hurting there drunk ears.

"Like I said, the cops were cool about it and will stop coming out. " Can the PD choose to ignore a 911 call? I was under the impression that they must respond. Learned this when my then four year old son dialed 911 three times in the same day... and our otherwise friendly PD was not amused during each visit. Anybody??? Are police legally obligated to respond to all 911 calls? Or is this just a policy thing in my town??? thx Rich
My experience is any and all 911 calls will get a response (but that response may not include having someone respond). Particular policy may vary slightly town to town, so below is not "gospel"

911 hang-ups, open lines, etc - will get someone sent out there kids playing with the phone - will get someone out there

Now if a "drunk" calls and says "I hear shooting at the gun club" the PD probably will respond the 1st time to make sure there isn't "a shooting at the gun club" but after that I am not too surprised to here they won't come back...

Actually happens alot around summer time, the "angry neighbor" calls in a noise complaint anytime someone has a cookout...Ussually after about the 3rd trip up there and finding no legit issue, all further "noise" calls from that caller will get stacked until/unless someone else calls to complain.

Don't even get me going about the time/resources wasted on "my nieghbor is lighting off fireworks" calls around the 4th of July...

No, police are not obligated to respond to calls for help (whether 911 or otherwise). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

That's not what Warren said at all. The issue was not that the police didn't respond, they did. The issue was that they failed to detect the crime and in truth didn't investigate all that well. The key part of Warren is that the duty to provide police protection is general in nature, and does not obligate the police to provide protection to a specific individual.

As Securityboy points out, all 9-1-1 hang ups require a response. Usually it's the police, but it can be the fire department.

That's not what Warren said at all. The issue was not that the police didn't respond, they did. The issue was that they failed to detect the crime and in truth didn't investigate all that well. The key part of Warren is that the duty to provide police protection is general in nature, and does not obligate the police to provide protection to a specific individual.

As Securityboy points out, all 9-1-1 hang ups require a response. Usually it's the police, but it can be the fire department.
richc asked:
Can the PD choose to ignore a 911 call?
So I responded as above. Yes, the PD CAN choose to ignore a 911 call, precisely because they have no duty to protect. The usually don't choose to ignore a 911 call (due to the political implications), but they could.

There isn't an LEO in the state that is going to work a detail for $45 an hour. [rofl]

It's not just $45 an hour, it's a 4 hour minimum guaranteed for $180+. It may only be 15 minutes while Comcast goes up the pole to remove a trap. At 4 hours and 1 minute, it becomes another 4 hour minimum.
$360 for 4.1 hours.
I'd waste a day off for that.

It's not just $45 an hour, it's a 4 hour minimum guaranteed for $180+. It may only be 15 minutes while Comcast goes up the pole to remove a trap. At 4 hours and 1 minute, it becomes another 4 hour minimum.
$360 for 4.1 hours.
I'd waste a day off for that.

Comcast doesn't use details for that. God, if they were required to do that, they would repeal the laws/regs about this crap. "Ma'am, that will be $55 for the visit, $20 for the left handed coax splitter, and $199 for the police detail."

No, they do this in such a way people don't get hurt by it. They charge the road crews who in turn pass the charge along to the muni's who in turn pass it on to the state who in turn passes it on to us.

I visited the Ayer club back in August to see where I grew up, spent alot of time there as a kid shooting with his father. My father passed away in 69 and we moved back to Michigan and returned for a visit in 72 and the club was taken over by drinkers.. the outdoor range was a garbage dump, the ponds looked like a septic tank, I was stunned. Now there are shooters there that take pride in their club and today it looks great, I was very happy to see the improvements, but while there and getting a tour, the drinkers were out and about. Myself, drinking and a gun club do not go hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom