Dry Fire

I have been told and read of the importance of dry fire, and how it can drastically improve your shooting skills. I am curious how many of you actually do practice dry fire, and how much/often you do.

Adam

Dry firing is a very important part of training. It helps with the mental routine on shot delivery and also builds muscle memory. I don't dry fire as much as I would like to because putting on my high power gear in the house sucks. But when I shot on the USMC team it was mandatory that we dry fired everyday. And after a few good sessions of dry firing you will notice an increase in shot performance.

What do some of your routine dry fire drills for pistol consist of? How many dry fires, and are they just trigger control resetting the slide between shots, or do you add any additional skills into the mix?

Thanks
Adam

For pistol I make a smaller bull on the wall and I do one handed dry fire. I do all the regular breathing and making the shot during the respatory pause. I will usually do it for about 10-15 minutes. I think dry fire is very important for one handed pistol and standing rifle shooting.

It's very important to competitors, with the exception of Bench Rest shooters, where judging the elements is more critical, therefore, live practice is more important than dry fire for BR only.

Dry fire is important. Especially if you are going to be shooting a bolt gun. Working on your bolt manipulation and proper trigger control etc in VERY important. The combination of these two will result in a much tighter group.

Dry fire is a great way to get all the 'good' practice in without the muscle memory of recoil. This is especially good with using large caliber handguns in sports like silhouette shooting.

The hard part with dry fire is to take it just as seriously as you would live fire. You really want to be able to say exactly where the sights were in relation to the target when the gun goes 'click'.

My dry fire distance is much shorter than the average range, so I had to make my own targets to get the same size black dot. But that's pretty easy with a scanner and printer. Just scan in the normal target, use ms paint or other graphics program to reduce it to the same percentage as your dry-fire distance is to the proper range

Lets say your Dry Fire distance is 10' and the target you are using is a 50' National Match Slow Fire. Well, 10' is 20% of 50', so you would reduce the scan to 20% of it's original size. Print and post.

I recommend using 'snap caps' of some kind during dry fire. Not only will they allow you to cycle the action and add some weight to the gun, but by pluggiing the chamber, there is no chance of a broken firing pin being sent out the barrel.

I usually take a few minutes after work to relax, and have found that dry-fire is just the ticket. Don't do it long, but 10-20 minutes every day does help.

Back
Top Bottom