• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DVMEGA DVStick 30

MaverickNH

NES Member
Anybody got one? I bought one for $109 delivered from GigaParts with a Friday arrival (assuming USPS can manage it). It was an impulse buy but I’m sure I can convince myself it was rational with some help 😉

11711EAB-AA44-42B6-AA49-F2096A851EB7.jpeg

Anybody got one? I bought one for $109 delivered from GigaParts with a Friday arrival (assuming USPS can manage it). It was an impulse buy but I’m sure I can convince myself it was rational with some help 😉

View attachment 726938
BouncyDeafeningElkhound-size_restricted.gif

Best I can come up with is some kind of voice something. Maybe converts voice to speech or speech to voice or voice to voice, maybe just speech to speech?

The product description at Gigaparts provides some useful info as to what this is and how to use it.

The DVMEGA DVStick 30 looks like an interesting option for Technician licensees, who are otherwise restricted to VHF/UHF and 10m for voice. Of course, a DMR/D-Star radio and a nearby repeater or hotspot would work too.

I’m not a vacuum tube radio guy but like Ham radio work when radiofrequency transmissions are involved. There’s science and art to Ham radio. Some folks have no repeaters of any sort nearby, so internet-based options are all they have for local chatter. Few have HF NVIS stations.

One learns a lot about radio work listening and new Hams often get frustrated tuned to 146.520 hoping to hear something…anything.

So it's a DMR hotspot? The website was all jargon.

DVstick30

The DVMEGA DVstick30 is the successor to the DVMEGA AMBE.

The DVMEGA AMBE remains available because it has the possibility to convert analogue audio directly into AMBE data without the intervention of other hardware.

The DVstick 30 is the perfect combination of the AMBE-3000™ vocoder and USB interface.

Using BlueDV and the DVstick30 you can make a QSO without a radio. All you need is a Windows PC with soundcard, microphone, speaker and a DVMEGA DVstick 30.

The communication speed can be set by means of hardware configuration. This makes the DVstick 30 extremely flexible and backwards compatible with existing software such as Dummy Repeater and AMBE server.

I made one of the PiStar hotspots for the Yaesu reflectors. It works pretty good but isn't my cup of tea. 90% of the QSOs I had and heard were "Hey, I'm just testing this ___ hotspot. How's my audio?" "You have a nice clear signal. I am also using a ___ hotspot. They work great." "Great, thanks." Of course the signal was clear, it's digital going from the recliner to the desk in the other room.

I had visions of running it off a USB battery pack, using my phone for a hotspot, and chatting all over the world. But there was no challenge, so I don't think people had anything to talk about. But if you had your own "local" repeater for guys without a repeater, I could see the value in that.

So it's a DMR hotspot? The website was all jargon.

I made one of the PiStar hotspots for the Yaesu reflectors. It works pretty good but isn't my cup of tea. 90% of the QSOs I had and heard were "Hey, I'm just testing this ___ hotspot. How's my audio?" "You have a nice clear signal. I am also using a ___ hotspot. They work great." "Great, thanks." Of course the signal was clear, it's digital going from the recliner to the desk in the other room.

I had visions of running it off a USB battery pack, using my phone for a hotspot, and chatting all over the world. But there was no challenge, so I don't think people had anything to talk about. But if you had your own "local" repeater for guys without a repeater, I could see the value in that.
I have a ZUMSpot Pi-Star hotspot which, of course, I use with a radio (IC-705 for D-Star or AT-D878UVII+ for DMR). Since I’m is already going over my home internet with a hotspot, this DVMEGA DVStick 30 just dispenses with the radio altogether and lets me use a headset and Win laptop to do D-Star, DMR & YSF.

It’s a SRSFTF (Shit Remains Separated from The Fan) sort of radio thing.

Quality Content is certainly lacking in many Ham radio QSOs. Unless you’re doing a specific net of your choosing, most QSOs appear to be old guys talking about their doctors visit. I’m getting old myself, so about to join that club! Might as well just have a Urology TalkGroup, Vision TalkGroup, Arthritis TalkGroup, etc.

I have a ZUMSpot Pi-Star hotspot which, of course, I use with a radio (IC-705 for D-Star or AT-D878UVII+ for DMR). Since I’m is already going over my home internet with a hotspot, this DVMEGA DVStick 30 just dispenses with the radio altogether and lets me use a headset and Win laptop to do D-Star, DMR & YSF.

It’s a SRSFTF (Shit Remains Separated from The Fan) sort of radio thing.

Quality Content is certainly lacking in many Ham radio QSOs. Unless you’re doing a specific net of your choosing, most QSOs appear to be old guys talking about their doctors visit. I’m getting old myself, so about to join that club! Might as well just have a Urology TalkGroup, Vision TalkGroup, Arthritis TalkGroup, etc.
Ahh, I'm slowly catching on.

Back
Top Bottom