Entry-level target stock for Remington 700

I just picked up a .308 Remington 700 from Dicks with the varmint barrel and a cheap feeling camo stock.

Is this stock a good first step up in longish range target shooting?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-614/*NEW!*-Bobby-Hart-Long/Detail

No idea what I will do yet, but my club has a 200 yard range and I could see myself getting into longer shooting as well.

I have a problem as I bought a right-hand rifle and I am left handed so all the stocks that have a fat cheek piece are useless to me. I realize with this stock I will need to covert my ADL rifle to a BDL rifle which I am fine with.

Thanks!

Chris

Those stocks look nice, but if you are looking to build an accurate long range rifle, it would still need to be bedded. I would look into something like a Bell and Carlson or h-s precision. Something with an aluminum bedding system. The cost goes up a bit from the one you were looking at, but I think you will find it worth it. There are a ton of options from less expensive yet good to ridiculously overpriced but really nice. The BC here isn't a whole lot more expensive:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/48...system-varmint-barrel-channel-synthetic-black

Thanks, so the aluminum bedding is a improvement over the standard wood stock? I see that they sell a laminated stock with aluminum bedding for $100 more. I just wasn't sure with the stock barrel, trigger, etc I needed to step up to a more expensive stock. Is that stock ambidextrous?

Thanks

Chris

i would look more at a 5r take off stock, it is ambi and will bolt right up to your rifle. They are made by hs precision,they can be had for around 250 with the bottom metal to fit your rifle as well. They are aluminum bedded and free float your barrel. I put one on my 223 and i went from 4" groups to 1.5" groups. They make a huge improvment in acuracy and feel.
Depending on how much you want to spend you can also look at Manners and mcmillian. They are very nice stocks but you are also going to pay a lot more for them.
If you find another stock and need the bottom metal or if you have ay questions, pm me as i have an extra bottom metal laying around.

Thanks

Ugh, I just bought BDL bottom metal earlier today...

People seem to be proud of their 5R stocks, are they as good as the Bell and Carlson light tactical stock?

Chris

Bedding of some sort is important. There are different ways to do it. A wood stock can be glass bedded. Many new stocks come with an aluminum bed in them. I would do some reading on the different systems and the expected gains before deciding which stock to spend money on. As RS stated, you can spend $500 on a mcmillan and get great quality. You can spend less on some of the others and still get a quality stock. The bottom line is that the shooter is the biggest factor in accuracy. I don't know your experience level, so please take any of my advice as you will. If you are new to rifle shooting, I would put the money into ammo and develop good shooting techniques and then decide what you need to upgrade on your rifle. At 200 yards, I am not convinced that a stock upgrade is worth it, yet. However, any decent aftermarket stock like the ones mentioned will give you some performance upgrade over the remmy factory stock.

I prefer not to do business with HS Precision due to previous ill-considered marketing tactics.

Check out Bell and Carlson for some very cool stocks for less than, say, Manners. Most are fine left-handed.

If 200 yards is your max range, I might not bother. Earlier this year, I watched a good shooter nail milk-jugs at 600+ using a stock that might as well have been made of cardboard.

I know, I liked the look of the stock in the OP. The plastic remington stock just feels cheap in my hands, and I would prefer something that is more substancial. Obviously I need to learn more about long-range shooting, but there is no issue having equipment I like. I do like those bell and carlson stocks. Would that wooden stock properly bedded with epoxy be as good as a B&C with the aluminum rail system?

Chris

I know, I liked the look of the stock in the OP. The plastic remington stock just feels cheap in my hands, and I would prefer something that is more substancial. Obviously I need to learn more about long-range shooting, but there is no issue having equipment I like. I do like those bell and carlson stocks. Would that wooden stock properly bedded with epoxy be as good as a B&C with the aluminum rail system?

Chris

Manners Stocks expensive but worth it

Well, Stocky's sold the stock i wanted to buy so I went ahead and bought the Bell and Carlson Light Tactical. It is probably a better stock in the long-run, but I am not a fan of the all black tactical look, I like a bit of wood.

Next question is, do I shoot off a bag, rest, or a bi-pod?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom