EOPS Conducting Public Hearing

From GOAL's site:

"Under the provisions of G.L. c. 30A and the authority of G.L. c. 140, §§ 123, 131 ¾ , the Executive Office of Public Safety will conduct a public hearing to gather comments, ideas, and information concerning the following regulation: 501 CMR 7.00 et seq., Approved Weapon Rosters. This regulation incorporates the new Formal Target Shooting Firearms Roster with the Approved Firearms Roster and the Large Capacity Weapons Roster.

Scheduled Hearing Date: Monday, May 14, 2007 at 10:00am, The McCormack Building, One Ashburton Place, Room 2133, Boston, MA 02108. Copies of the proposed regulation may be obtained from the same address. Written comments in advance of the hearing are welcome and should be sent to the same address, attention to Catherine Bailey, Assistant General Counsel. All persons desiring to be heard on this matter should appear at the designated time and place."

Anyone have any background on this? Is this something that would be worth attending as a citizen concerned about 2nd amendment rights?

It's my understanding strictly from discussion with Rob Boudrie, that this is strictly about target (ONLY) guns. Mentioning the 2nd Amendment at this hearing would be a losing proposition.

ANY guns that aren't marketed STRICTLY FOR TARGET SHOOTING is NOT eligible for this list. So if you mention use of a gun for "self defense" it is an automatic DQ for this list.

Thus, unless you are well-spoken on target-only guns, it is best not to address this particular hearing in written or spoken comments. IMNSHO

Actually, you don't have to rely on comments by me - the info is directly in the above post -
501 CMR 7.00 et seq., Approved Weapon Rosters

From what I hear, the Gun Control Advisory Board has presented some recommendations regarding the Target Shooting Roster to the EOPS and this is the second public comment period (the first was prior to presentation of the recommendations to EOPS).

I have written for a copy of the proposed regulations so I can address them solely from the point of "formal target shooting competition", and will be at the hearing to make commentary if necessary, as well to address specifics in the draft (which I have not yet read, so I don't know if I will be there to speak in support of specifics in the draft, or to suggest corrections).

Formal competition target shooting encompasses a wide variety of handgun shooting sports. It is my goal to provide feedback encouraging the EOPS to respect diversity and not limit it to any single type of formal competition shooting. Since the goal is "formal target shooting" one should go armed with facts and information that is a bit more specific than "bubba and I count how many of the tin cans we hit in the gravel pit."

Back
Top Bottom