Extreme 200 grn SWC?

I have a friend thats bought a bunch of extreme 200 grn SWC's and is shooting a relatively new E series S&W 1911. He's using Win 231 w/Winchester Large pistol primers. I have no experience with SWC in any of my 1911's so I don't know how to advise him. He's getting all types of failures to feed. Do any of you use these and if so what OAL are you loading at? I believe he's currently dropping 5.0 of the 231. I should also add that his 1911 is bone stock.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Wade

Those tend to work better loaded long. He should gradually increase the OAL until his feed problems go away. (With the upper limit obviously being when they're too long to fit in the mag). He might also think about bumping the charge up a little.

I have had good luck loading to 1.250 oal. 5.0 ww 231 is a light load good for about 800 fps. If the gun has a heavy recoil spring (over 16 lb) 5.0 of 231 might be a little too light. increasing the powder charge to 5.2 or 5.4 might help.

The profile of the bullet is extremely important for feeding. You want a long nose like the H&G #68 design. Stubby bullets with short noses do not feed well in a lot of 1911s.

1.250 OAL, 5.2 gr. of WW 231 seems to work well for me. As stated before, longer bullet profile is typically better for feeding in a 1911.

Back
Top Bottom