Faster Shooting

Wookie, being controversial isn't always a bad thing... and I think we all will agree that getting exposed to multiple training styles is usually a good thing. So when are you going to a USPSA match? I think you will be impressed what some of the shooters can do... on steel and paper. ;) Cheers

Glad we can come to some common ground to end this.

I haven't officially done IPSC or USPSA, but the range I worked for two years back in the day had USPSA matches every weekend, so I know a little of what it's all about. And I did some plinking on the side. But, I'm not good enough for that.... [wink] My mentor guy there, Bill Rogers, the one I've linked in here, is a champion USPSA shooter, so trust me I have much respect for them..

And most of the best shooters I was around down South are champion or high level USPSA shooters.

But, more then competition paper shooters, i.e. the guys who shoot highpower rifle and spray glue themselves to their shooting matts, I bust on USPSA guys more then any other shooting discipline. But,,, in all due respect and fairness,, USPSA shooters are a talented group of shooters and most will out shoot my old ass in a heartbeat....

added element of speed and control, i suppose. i didn't design the technique, and i agree with you... it's asking for a hole in the foot. even more fun to watch when the shooter is already jittery and running a serpa holster.

+1 to Supermoto on this point. Also- toes aren't the only thing... there are large arteries in the leg.

It seems to me that a few people here think this is the only place a real shooters can hang out.

And, just for the record, I didn't challenge anyone specific, I put out a blanketed a statement that I still stand by. Prove me wrong. Go there and get worse.[thinking]

I think EVERYBODY can go their and improve, some more then others.

So, no, it wouldn't be costly.

Actually, I find that site interesting and as it's near family, I may schedule a class (but not on your dime) for my next trip down there.

The point I’m making is there are a lot of very good shooters locally and a lot of these guys really know how to shoot fast and accurately and that’s what the OP was asking about.

If you are interested in starting USPSA again, there is a USPSA shoot at the Bass River club (near you I think) this Sunday at 9:00.

http://www.bassriverrod-gunclub.com/Home.html

Respectfully,
jkelly

Actually, I find that site interesting and as it's near family, I may schedule a class (but not on your dime) for my next trip down there.

The point I’m making is there are a lot of very good shooters locally and a lot of these guys really know how to shoot fast and accurately and that’s what the OP was asking about.

If you are interested in starting USPSA again, there is a USPSA shoot at the Bass River club (near you I think) this Sunday at 9:00.

http://www.bassriverrod-gunclub.com/Home.html

Respectfully,
jkelly

Thank you for the invite. Check his schedule if you are serious about going -- it's down in Georgia, as you know, and because of the summer heat down there he only runs classes during certain times of the year.

Good luck, I'll meet you at some point.

Last edited:
yep. seen that happen. cowboy shoot, double gun quick draw. pulled the trigger on both guns before clearing leather. took out his femoral arteries and traced the bone with .45 colt. double amputee after that. lucky he lived through it.

Wow- that really sucks. Not just one but both? Man- that's really bad. Speed is great.... we all strive for it... but safety is paramount for sure!!

The problem with not using your sights is that you when you get out past 7-10 yards you can not shoot as accurately while maintaining the same speed.

You can shoot just as fast, if not faster in close with your sights as without, why limit yourself when you get further out

Whoever said it was an either/or proposition. Read his book.

You may be right about being just as fast with the sights as without inside of 7 yards. The problem is that it takes MUCH more time, effort, and money to gain that speed with sighted fire than with point shooting.

Beyond that, you are right. Sights are necessary.

This is true. It's a training technique designed specifically for close self defense encounters, and LE's approaching vehicles. 3 yards, 3 rounds, 3 seconds, holster to holster. It's extremely effective at teaching instinctive shooting, but becomes relatively ineffective out past 7 yards. Once you've learned it though, going back to sights and shooting for distance is much easier. Again, this is aimed at the average individual / LE who's encounters are going to be extremely quick, and in extremely close proximity to the threat.
You made my point better than I did.

My hadgunning focus is defensive in nature. Sport is a by product to keep sharp skills, not my primary focus.

yep. seen that happen. cowboy shoot, double gun quick draw. pulled the trigger on both guns before clearing leather. took out his femoral arteries and traced the bone with .45 colt. double amputee after that. lucky he lived through it.

[shocked] Is is a common practice to draw a cocked SAO revolver from a holster at CAS matches? (I can't imagine the organization would approve this)
Or do they typically cock the hammers as they grab for the draw before getting the gun clear of the holster?
That is an accident waiting to happen if so.

Back
Top Bottom