• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Faxon Firearms ar-15 barrels with integral brake

cathouse01

NES Member
Anyone have any experience with Faxon Firearms barrels with integral brakes? Do they really serve a purpose? The breaks are sized to match the barrel diameter, so you can fully assemble and disassemble your rifle (i.e. change gas blocks and barrel nuts) without having to try and remove a pin/welded break, since the integral break is the same diameter as the barrel. Seems like it might be a solution for those of us in restricted states that would like a break (I.e. not just an unthreaded barrel), but like to easily swap out the gas port and barrel nut. Joe Bob is having a sale on them.

Anyone have any experience with Faxon Firearms barrels with integral brakes? Do they really serve a purpose? The breaks are sized to match the barrel diameter, so you can fully assemble and disassemble your rifle (i.e. change gas blocks and barrel nuts) without having to try and remove a pin/welded break, since the integral break is the same diameter as the barrel. Seems like it might be a solution for those of us in restricted states that would like a break (I.e. not just an unthreaded barrel), but like to easily swap out the gas port and barrel nut. Joe Bob is having a sale on them.
I built a lightweight AR using one and the barrel works great. I bought it mostly for the reasons you stated, being able to change out the gas block without needing to deal with a large muzzle brake.

Is it legal in MA? [pot]
That's pretty much its whole purpose. In a free state you don't have to pin/weld your muzzle device, so you can easily take it off if you want to replace your gas block or switch to a new handguard that requires you to replace the barrel nut. To do this in a restricted state you need either a featureless barrel (i.e. unthreaded or with a thread protector pin/welded on) or you have to remove your pin/welded (or welded or high temp soldered) muzzle device. With these barrels, the gas block and barrel nut will just slide over the break. Faxon does make one with an integral flash hider, and that one would be illegal in MA.

I think I had one of those a while back. I never shot it, but if I recall, it was a super thin profile and one that I'd never buy again.

Just buy the muzzle device you want, tap the hole , install a set screw , dab some epoxy on it, and hit it with some spray paint. Or, buy a cheap mig welder and do it yourself.

I think I had one of those a while back. I never shot it, but if I recall, it was a super thin profile and one that I'd never buy again.

Just buy the muzzle device you want, tap the hole , install a set screw , dab some epoxy on it, and hit it with some spray paint. Or, buy a cheap mig welder and do it yourself.
It's not the attachment itself that is a problem. I can (and do) tig weld the pin myself. It's having to grind off the weld to remove it if I later on want to change out the gas block or switch to a hand guard that requires a custom barrel nut. It's not a huge deal, but it does (unless your really good, better than me) sacrifice the muzzle device. If the barrel itself was really good, I might try it. But if it's just mediocre, then it's not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom