Federal NT 40S&W vs Federal 40 S&W brass?

doobie

Banned
Hi,

I have a question anyone know what the difference between Federal NT 40S&W and Federal 40 S&W brass? I can't seem to prime the Federal NT 40S&W (the priming hole is smaller and they jam/smash up) and wanted to know why it is different and if there is a way to prime it as I have a fair quantity of it.

Thanks,
Jason

The NT brass has crimped primers hence the problem you are noticing. If you don't swage the pockets you'll have a horrible time seating primers. The primers you need are the same as the regular brass though. I have several hundred .40 S&W Federal brass that I swaged and used. It's good brass if you want to take the time prepping it. Good luck. Where did you get it?

The NT brass has crimped primers hence the problem you are noticing. If you don't swage the pockets you'll have a horrible time seating primers. The primers you need are the same as the regular brass though. I have several hundred .40 S&W Federal brass that I swaged and used. It's good brass if you want to take the time prepping it. Good luck. Where did you get it?

Is there a tool for swaging the brass? I have a bunch; I'd like to use them. I picked most of it off the ground at the range one day after either a local PD or college used the range.

Is there a tool for swaging the brass? I have a bunch; I'd like to use them. I picked most of it off the ground at the range one day after either a local PD or college used the range.

Yes, there are plenty of them. I use the RCBS one works with my Rockchucker. Dillon make a good one as well from what I hear.

Thanks, I'll take a look at Midway...does it work in the press and does it need to be compatible with your press or are there standalone ones?

Thanks, I'll take a look at Midway...does it work in the press and does it need to be compatible with your press or are there standalone ones?

Dillon makes an excellent stand-alone device. RCBS makes a die that uses special shell holders to swage the pocket. The RCBS goes into any press that accepts standard (7/8"-14) dies and shell holders.

All I, do is give the cases a quick turn with my RCBS Chamfering tool. Unless you have a really large number of cases to prep, it might not be worth the $80.00 plus cost of the tool.

All I, do is give the cases a quick turn with my RCBS Chamfering tool. Unless you have a really large number of cases to prep, it might not be worth the $80.00 plus cost of the tool.

I have a large sum of them (probably 100-200), but I'm not at the bottom of my unsorted bucket yet. I'll try my chamfering tool and see how well it works.

If you can get them to me, I'll run them through my single stage with the RCBS tool. You only have to do it once.

If you can get them to me, I'll run them through my single stage with the RCBS tool. You only have to do it once.

Thanks. I'm hoping to finish sorting them this weekend if I come up to the Turkey shoot I'll bring them. This is assuming my chamfering tool doesn't help.

Ch Tool and Die makes an excellent swager that is unstalled in a single stage press, at $22 it is a good deal. I have used this tool for many years with no problems, until recently. I just bought 3000 LC 223 cases that need the primer pockets swaged. The crimp is so strong that the rims are deforming before the primer pocket is sufficiently enlarged to accept a primer. I am now going to buy the Dillon tool which supports the case internally, rather than by the rim.

If you are just going to swage pistol brass any of the tools on the market will do. If you intend to do rifle brass, you might consider the Dillon for about $80.

Back
Top Bottom