fid .45 ammo

Have an fid and am looking into getting a hi point 4595 as hi point only makes 9 round magazines for this rifle my local store has told me its compliant and they will sell me the rifle, what I thought of after the fact and they are now closed so I cant call which brings me here.

even if its legal for me to purchase the rifle is it legal for me to purchase and possess .45acp ammo where its considered "pistol ammo"?

Yes, but expect some places (especially WalMart) to refuse to sell it to you.

Such a stupid law. Are there really any rounds that are exclusive to pistols? I can't think of a single one.

I'm not aware of any rifles/long guns that chamber the 9x18 Makarov, 7.62x38R, .44 Russian or 455 Webley....

Russians made SMGs like the Bizon that could run 9 x 18 mak... there are probably others that shoot it, too.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I am worried because most ammo I use can be used in machine guns and I do not have a machine gun license. I have to say I am getting very nervous....

okay.... I stand corrected.

Although technically you're still right- I haven't seen any true "rifles" etc chambered in that caliber. Just figured I'd mention the fact that Russia used it the way everyone else used the 9mm, went into SMG's as well as pistols.

-Mike

Some guy on NES a couple of years ago said he was at icks sporting goods in Danvers......he was there with his son who had just purchased a ruger 10-22 rifle with his brand new FID card. Once the sale on the rifle was completed the boy asked for a box of 22lr ammo. The clerk said he needed an ltc for the ammo because it was pistol ammo. The father jumped in and said the ammo fits in the rifle you just sold my son......the clerk said no its pistol ammo.....the father asked the clerk if he knew what the LR in 22LR stood for......the clerk said "look its the store managers policy I'm not sure why" and the guy proceeded to cancel the entire sale.

Bottom line to the OP.......ammo is ammo according to mass law........you can buy any ammo legally as long as you have at a minimum an FID card........however the department stores kinda make up their own bullshittery sometimes.

you can buy any ammo legally as long as you have at a minimum an FID card........however the department stores kinda make up their own bullshittery sometimes.

Q: Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title18/html/USCODE-2010-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.htm
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title27-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title27-vol3-sec478-99.pdf

I'm not sure how it is determined if the ammo is for a rifle or handgun. As we know many calibers will fit both

If you go to a place like WM it may also jam you up if you are under 21 which they want you to be to buy pistol ammo. It is why they ask on .22lr if it is for rifle or pistol.

Back
Top Bottom