Field telephone repair

I am posting this here in hopes someone can help. I have 2 ta-1 field phones. I cant get them to work. It seems pretty straight forward. Hook the wires up and you are good to go. Well one would send and receive and the other would only send. I took them apart per the manual, checked stuff and now they wont do anything. Does anyone here know anything about them or is there a place I can send them to get them repaired? Thanks.

Typically field telephones run on battery power. Are your batteries good and installed properly? You don't need batteries for ringing if there's a magneto (crank) on them but that's only going to ring, not power the circuit.

Typically field telephones run on battery power. Are your batteries good and installed properly? You don't need batteries for ringing if there's a magneto (crank) on them but that's only going to ring, not power the circuit.

TA-1 is only sound powered. No batteries.

Friend had a set years ago, all I remember is they were a little touchy about internal grounding. Only having the mic to drive the signal power any amount of ground leakage killed the signal. Could one mike have been dead and you accidently grounded the other when checking them?

The mic is pretty robust, grounding them accidently then testing a few times should not destroy them.

Last edited:
Friend had a set years ago, all I remember is they were a little touchy about internal grounding. Only having the mic to drive the signal power any amount of ground leakage killed the signal. Could one mike have been dead and you accidently grounded the other when checking them?

The mic is pretty robust, grounding them accidently then testing a few times should not destroy them.

I am not an electronics guy at all so I don't know if I did that or not but I am confident that I did something to screw them up. How do I check for the grounding?

Back
Top Bottom