• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally got around to shooting with the Axil Ghost ear buds

As the title says, I finally was bored enough to do it. For comparison, I have 2 sets of 'high dollar' electronic hearing to compare them to. I was shooting essentially a modified Glock 17 with SpeerLE 9mm.

I have to say they are 'comparable' to my custom molded ear buds. I'd still wear outer ear protection for a full on range day, but the noise wasn't painful. The difference between the 1K+ ear buds and the Axils isn't worth the money if I paid for them out of pocket. The blue tooth built in is nice. The only real issue I have with them goes both ways: they are rechargeable. I'd rather be able to change batteries on the fly because I'm kinda dumb and forget to charge almost anything rechargeable. I buy batteries in bulk and store them in my range bag.

I'd imagine rifles would still be painful, but would knock it down quite a bit.

This may be a redundant question because I don’t know what Axils are, (other than hearing protection).
Question: do noise canceling headphones do anything for protection on the firing line?

This may be a redundant question because I don’t know what Axils are, (other than hearing protection).
Question: do noise canceling headphones do anything for protection on the firing line?
active noise cancellation (e.g. Bose QuietComfort) does nothing as hearing protection

you can think of the Axil products as ear plugs with a hole drilled through them to hold ear buds. these do provide passive protection, which is what we're looking for in PPE

I have been using a pair intermittently for a little less than a year. IMO they definitely don’t compare well to a $60 set of electronic ear muffs. Shooting pistol outside is ok with them. I wouldn’t use them indoors. Wasn’t happy with them when shooting a 10.5” AR. They didn’t provide enough protection for me. The Bluetooth function is nice.

I used them for about a year and liked them but the company upgraded mine to the 2.0. These are an improvement and seem to cut out a bit more noise. They are less protective than my eep100 plugs with skull screws.

I have the 2.0 also. Only tried them a few times. Figuring out the right size and type of the provided plugs makes a big difference in how well they seem to work.

Back
Top Bottom