Finally got my daughter interested in shooting.

I told my daughter on Friday that we were heading to the local range where they were running a 4-H and NRA youth Archery and rifle program in the morning. She whined and cried that sh didn't want to go. I told her that if she didn't like it, she would never have to go back but that she should at least try it.

So Saturday morning I tell her to get dressed because we are heading to the youth program. She whined and cried some more and again I told her that she would go but that if she didn't like it, she would never have to go again.

We got there and there were very few people there (good thing... less pressure). She had a little trouble figuring out which way to point the bow... (imagine a child with the bow in hand and the string on the opposite side). She ended up doing very well towards the end breaking 3 balloons from a distance of about 15 feet.

I asked her if she wanted to try the rifle and she was excited to do that too! The rifle was a very small .22 caliber bolt action youth rifle. She was the only one on the line shooting from a standing position (everyone else shot from the bench with the rifle supported on a rest). All her shots were on the paper at 25 feet and she never wanted to stop even thought she kept having trouble loading the rifle... the bolt was a bit sticky.

For the record she's 9 years old.

That is wonderful! Let's hope her enthusiasm grows and grows and she spreads it to all those around her.

Thats great!

It's a good thing you're in NH.
The first thing she probably did today at school was to tell all her friends that she shot a gun over the weekend. By lunchtime, the school administration will have the story. If you were in Mass, you would be getting a call, telling you that she was suspended from school for 2 weeks for talking about having fun with guns.

Over the summer, I took my 15 year old nephew to Manchester Firing Line as part of a family group. We rented a full auto Thompson M1. When it was his turn, he came to the line, I showed him the operation of the gun and told him that when he was ready to shoot, just turn this lever (safety) from here to here. He looked and asked what the other lever was for. I told him to leave that one alone (rock & roll). He handled it very well on semi-auto and shot a really tight group. And before anyone asks, I stood there right next to him, watching his every move, while he was firing.
It didn't occur to me till later that I should make sure that he understood, in no uncertain terms, that he was not to tell any of his friends that he shot a machine gun. Neither I, nor his parents have gotten any phone calls, so I guess he has kept his lip zipped.

bdutton:
Congrats on having a child you can share your hobbies with. Here is to many more memory building years for the two of you.[cheers]
Enjoy it while you can, life rushes past us way too quickly.

Great to hear! My daughter started shooting at 6 with a Red Ryder, then moved up to a Gamo Delta pellet gun to improve her skills at 8. At 9 she was using my Winchester Model 310 single shot 22 from bench rest. At 10 she was allowed to shoot the semi-auto Springfield 850 in .22. 11 was when I started teaching her to use the Ruger 22/45 from bench rest as well as taught her to shoot standing and prone with rifle.

She is now taking classes to be an NRA Certified Apprentice Instructor.

My son has followed the same path and is also soon to be certified as well.

I am very proud of them both as you may guess.

Our kids are the hope of our 2nd Amendment future... keep up the good work Bill!!!

Cheers,

Rick

Maybe it is because WE ARE in NH but all of my daughter's friends and teachers know that she shoots with her dad. Heck, I've run into teachers at a few ranges. They also know that I bought a Beretta for her thirteenth birthday "present." It will be hers officially when she is of age. She also began shooting when she was nine. Kudos to you.

I told my daughter on Friday that we were heading to the local range where they were running a 4-H and NRA youth Archery and rifle program in the morning. She whined and cried that sh didn't want to go. I told her that if she didn't like it, she would never have to go back but that she should at least try it.

Just so you know the 4-H Firearms program is only available in 49 states.
Guess which one does not offer the program to any of its' 4-H Clubs?

Bill

Back
Top Bottom