Finally, LTC CLass-A in Somerville

I spent a ton of time doing my research far before taking the required safety course than applying for the Class-A. The training was awesome, I highly recommened it to anyone of any level taught by Paul M. Ferrazzani. Once the course was done...life got busy with work.

Finally I had time to stop by the local PD and apply on Jan 6. The licensing officer that was there that day (I believe the first name was Michael?) was transfering to the Boston PD after that day and caught him on his very last day there. I met the new officer that will be in charge of FID/LTC applications as well. The officer leaving was really nice, the new officer is tougher but frank, he stated that he would not issue an ALP without a reason. I was applying with my roommate that day and we both have outstanding reasons. I think another thing that helped, being highly read up on the topic i knew what i was getting my self into and just as that thought crossed my mind, in comes joe-shmo guy that blurts out "hey can i get a gun?" which i think played well in my favor....(really, who would trust with a gun, me who studied the topic or joe-schmo over there?).

Anyway, 35 days later (exactly 5 weeks) I recive my MA LTC Class-A with NO restrictions (new way of saying ALP). Since I have been reading up on every possible subject matter for this state, I have contacted Four Seasons and have a Para LTC in stainless on its way, awaiting to be picked up by another law abiding citizen exercising the second amendment.

Congrats, but I have to say, if Joe Shmo is not a violent criminal or really insane, then yes, by all means give him a gun.

No restrictions in slummerville? That's a pretty good accomplishment. Most people I know get a restricted LTC rammed down their throat there, it's normally considered a "red" town.

-Mike

Grats on the ALP and grats even more for taking the time to not appear as an idiot in front of the cops, who were in all likelihood, doing what they were told by their boss.

It's a sad state of affairs that the right to keep and bear arms is regulated at all, but you guys get a +1 from me for being smart about the process.

if you dont mind sharing, could you give us a bit of insight to your reasoning for being able to get an ALP out of the shitehole that is Somerville.

FWIW, Somerville should hand out ALP like it is Elvis's medicine, that place never ceases to make me think twice about being there late at night

That's encouraging. I dropped off my LTC application at Somerville PD just over a week ago. I think I made a good impression, and I had everything I needed, etc. It just depends what they look at when they determine what kind of restrictions to give. If they look at how polite and prepared you are, then I'm good to go. If they flip a coin, we'll see.

Also, bostonasphalt, I don't think Somerville is as bad as it used to be (from what I've heard about how it used to be). At least the part of Somerville by the red line.

Also, bostonasphalt, I don't think Somerville is as bad as it used to be (from what I've heard about how it used to be). At least the part of Somerville by the red line.

I've living in Somerville for 40 years. Davis is no where near what it was in the 80's, but then, neither am I. In all honesty, I never found a part of Somerville I was afraid to walk through at night.

I've living in Somerville for 40 years. Davis is no where near what it was in the 80's, but then, neither am I. In all honesty, I never found a part of Somerville I was afraid to walk through at night.

Yeah, I've been in Davis Sq. a number of times in the last year. It didn't seem too bad at all.

what the deuce? either you got somebody else in the firearms office or it musta been your lucky day, cuz I applied in somerville in december and got the ole 'restricted to sport and hunting' nonsense. the issuing officer that I met told me he does not give out unrestricted to first time applicants, and trust me, i had all my ducks in a row. was dressed for work, polite, clean shaven (for once), and gave plenty of valid reasons on my app. anyway, congrats.

Took me 3 renewals before i was finally able to get them to drop the restrictions in Somerville.

Congratulations!

Regards,

Paul

. . . the shitehole that is Somerville.

HEY! That's my shitehole, you whippersnapper! [smile]

Congrats on the license! Like Paul, it took me a couple of renewals to wear them down.

All *you* people with guns in Somerville are starting to make me nervous, though. I liked it better when I thought *I* was the only one. [wink]

-Gary

HEY! That's my shitehole, you whippersnapper! [smile]

Congrats on the license! Like Paul, it took me a couple of renewals to wear them down.

All *you* people with guns in Somerville are starting to make me nervous, though. I liked it better when I thought *I* was the only one. [wink]

-Gary

I spent 5 years living there going to college. I want my 5 years back.

I was kind of amazed at the "interview" when I dropped off my application in Somerville (I haven't gotten the results yet).

"So you work at *employer*?"
"Yes sir."
"And what's your purpose for requesting the license?"
"Primarily target shooting, but also self defense."
"Okay."

And that was it.

I think I screwed myself over in terms of getting ALP by being honest about the purpose being mostly target shooting.

No restrictions in slummerville? That's a pretty good accomplishment. Most people I know get a restricted LTC rammed down their throat there, it's normally considered a "red" town.

-Mike

I know a guy who got ALP in Cambridge, of all places. He had to tell them how he carries large sums of money on a regular basis for his work. I think, basically, you have to have some "reason" like the OP stated.

Sorry for not getting back on here, first thank you for all your kind words and congratulatory remarks. to answer the questions and comments....

Jryan- I agree with you, it was not meant as don't give that guy a gun but more of it happened to help my situation out.

bostonasphalt2,crak,damon&m1911- when i applied i wrote for reason All Lawful Purposes and that is all i wrote. when asked, i work in the technical field where i am privy to highly sensitive data as well as carrying expensive gear for contract work as well as for my 9-5. the new licensing officer seemed satisfied with the answer, also i was quick to answer without hesitation.

bfm-i never came across dot, perhaps at the renewal process in six years.

celisup78,ham slam,BillO & rob87- yes after research i decided on a para. i haven't had the time to finish the g code to machine out a colt frame yet and most of the modifications that a 1911 would go through on my mill was mostly done on a stock pistol, which means i have a carry pistol faster versus sitting in my machine shop. in the end, commander size 1911 with a ramped barrel and a flared ejection port.

dooman- hang in there, i know that waiting is the worse part.

I know a guy who got ALP in Cambridge, of all places.

Cambridge isn't that bad. I had a job at one point where I saw a lot of LTCs go by, and Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston all seem to issue a fair number of unrestricted LTCs. (Somebody posted here a while back that Boston upgraded on renewal without even being asked.) Even some from Newton and Watertown, which I think of as the reddest of the red around here.

Not to say that the differing standards don't drive me crazy, even from over here in the land of green. I'm hoping GOAL's reform bill goes somewhere other than the circular file--it's moderate enough that I think it actually has a shot.

Cambridge isn't that bad. I had a job at one point where I saw a lot of LTCs go by, and Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston all seem to issue a fair number of unrestricted LTCs.

Were the LTCs required for employment? (Security, Armored car, etc?) If so, that's why. Those obtaining a license "for work" purposes get treated
differently than the average person.

I'd still place all the cities you just mentioned into the "top 10 worst in MA" for
issuing authorities.

-Mike

Cambridge isn't that bad. I had a job at one point where I saw a lot of LTCs go by, and Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston all seem to issue a fair number of unrestricted LTCs. (Somebody posted here a while back that Boston upgraded on renewal without even being asked.) Even some from Newton and Watertown, which I think of as the reddest of the red around here.

Not to say that the differing standards don't drive me crazy, even from over here in the land of green. I'm hoping GOAL's reform bill goes somewhere other than the circular file--it's moderate enough that I think it actually has a shot.

I had no problem getting an ALP in Cambridge (a little over a month ago), however I was told that a relatively new person is in charge of issuing (Lt Ahern) and no longer Captain *** (don't have a name). I was told that Lt Ahern is supposedly more lienant. My reason was pretty good too - I just moved from PA and already owned high cap/had a PA LTC. I think that my level of education helped solidify a ALP as opposed to a sporting license because I had no "reason" to CC other than because I wanted the ability to do so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom