Firearm checking

I'm fine with the new rules. I guess if you don't like it you can take your money elsewhere but it's understandable why it needed to be initiated. Considering the backstops face the parking lot I'm not quite sure how happy I'd be if a restricted caliber made it through...

As I like to shoot twelve gauge I was shocked I saw bird shot shells on the floor when I have been told I must use MFS ammo. Glad they are checking and making people follow the rules.

I'm fine with the new rules. I guess if you don't like it you can take your money elsewhere but it's understandable why it needed to be initiated. Considering the backstops face the parking lot I'm not quite sure how happy I'd be if a restricted caliber made it through...

I would take my money elsewhere, but you have to pay upfront for the full year. A lot of changes have happened over that period of time, not all of them positive in my opinion. I can certainly stop going, but then they've gotten my cash without having to provide the services I paid for.

As I like to shoot twelve gauge I was shocked I saw bird shot shells on the floor when I have been told I must use MFS ammo. Glad they are checking and making people follow the rules.

The best part is the 12 Gauge buck they sell is the full powered stuff, not even reduced recoil. It sounds like it's just not rated for slug, but clearly anything goes as long as they get to sell you that dirty assed ammo.

I shoot my carry firearm, so it IS loaded when I come in. I have never been asked to clear it, just to show it.

I was there lastnight, they just wanted to see it so they could see if it shot restricted calibers. My pistol didn't come off my hip, just a good look at it was all.

The best part is the 12 Gauge buck they sell is the full powered stuff, not even reduced recoil. It sounds like it's just not rated for slug

Here are the issues with shotgun ammunition:

Slugs don't damage the backstop, they damage the rubber curtain by punching a big hole in it. The rubber curtain is vital in preventing bullet fragments from coming back at the shooter. Since slugs create too big of a hole we don't allow them to be shot.

Birdshot or other small diameter shot poses two problems: (1) The shot may not penetrate the rubber causing a bounce back in the shooters direction. (2) The spread of the pellets obliterates the cardboard target holders.

00 or 000 buckshot is safe for the range. We make people purchase our ammunition because it is very difficult to identify the shot size of a particular shell.

Being money grubbers we stick it to our customers by offering some of the lowest cost 00 buckshot you can purchase anywhere in the country. [wink]

Last edited:
In my experience the checking has been unobtrusive, they just ask what you're shooting and might glance at the weapon. It's no big deal. Never seen anyone's firearms being touched.

Exactly. I'm fine with the new rules also. I would just like to see some kind of "checking area" other than the lobby and maybe that is already setup now. Haven't been in a few days.
Let's face it, they have video of the range, but there is no RO that I've seen. If I've ever had a question, the staff have always been there to assist without any judgement.

This is not true, anyone can walk in, pay $25/hr and shoot.
Must be licensed, but yes you are accurate.

This only increases the chance some d bag will walk in and shoot a forbidden caliber.

Agreed. I would have liked them to stay a "membership" only range. I know there may be a consumer need for "by the hour" range, but does anybody remember "Boston Gun Range" in Worcester? Situation is different, as you have to be licensed to rent a lane at MFS, but still, a non member has nothing "invested" in the betterment of other members.

I was at MFS for the first time recently and no questions were asked and no weapons were checked.

That said, as it was my first time there I had been told the rules during an orientation tour.

It seems to be a very fine facility, I was never talked down to, didn't feel like they were being condescending. Overall a very pleasant experience.

Guys,

I went in to shoot the other day, now that we finally don't have to wait 45 minutes because you oversold your memberships, and was told by the staff member that he had to check the caliber of all my firearms.

I can read; I can see what you have posted at the range and on your website as allowed calibers. What's with treating members like children while causing safety issues due to having to clear firearms at the counter?

Come on over to my place bring any caliber you want. No counter no fee and shoot all you want day or night. I do...

Back
Top Bottom