First Aid in armed conflicts and other situations of violence

One of the problems I used to have taking first aid refresher courses was butting heads with instructors who insisted on telling me that I couldn't do certain things. The problem arose because I knew perfectly well that I could do them, and probably had done them more times than the instructor had put on a band aid. Then I got it through my head that the instructors weren't really challenging my competency, but simply didn't use proper English. What they actually meant was that I wasn't permitted to do those things in my current environment. OK, I've got no problem with them telling me that. It's always nice to know just where the trip wires are set.

Ken

Yup went through that in my EMT class also.[wink]

A good instructor will not teach you skills or techniques beyond what you will be permitted to do in actual practice.

Of course if you aren't employed as an EMT or first responder for an organization you can do pretty much whatever you please. The risk is yours and not that of an employer or organization.

MA has some pretty strong protections for first responders and EMTs when it comes to civil liability, but those apply only as long as you are performing within the scope of your duties. Citizens who perform CPR in good faith and without compensation are provided protection from liability. MGL Chapter 112: Section 12V.

Gary

Glenn and I have always had more than just a basic first aid kit. We also carry sutures. We realized early on the places the we wheeled and the intensity of it if something serious happened to someone we would have to carry them out aways and also they would have to be life flighted. We prepared for the worst, and have never had to use any of it. We have it if we need it though.

I'm just curious as to when you would carry sutures? I don't see them as part of an emergency kit, it would be only be something that I would think would be done if you where days away from help and just didn't want to have a bad scar. Sutures are never going to be stop life threatening bleeding.

I remember taking CPR in high school way back when - the instructor made it very clear we were not to attempt CPR if the Red Cross certification we got at the end of the class had expired and was not renewed. I asked if I was supposed to stand by and let someone die if I still remembered how to do it and the card had expired. I was told "Yes."

I'm just curious as to when you would carry sutures? I don't see them as part of an emergency kit, it would be only be something that I would think would be done if you where days away from help and just didn't want to have a bad scar. Sutures are never going to be stop life threatening bleeding.

When we were 4 wheeling, we were doing really extreme 4 wheeling. We were in places that either we would have to get a life flight and still have to walk someone out aways to meet the life flight if they could get in somewhere. We have been lucky in all the time we were doing that we never had anything major happen. Not everyone will feel comfortable having them and using them. Just like some aren't comfortable with epi pens. We also carry those. If you are trained to use them properly like anything else it's a tool in your medical kit. You have it if the situation warrants it. I can't tell you how many minor things we would have happen,but Glenn and I were the only ones prepared for it. It's something not many think about.

Yup - when we're out on the quads, we're often a looong way from anywhere and much of the time without cell service. Sutures for me would be a last resort. I also carried them in Africa, (where I actually used them) and when I've done long range backpacking elsewhere. They are part of my survival kit and part of my owie kit in my Arktis.....

When we were 4 wheeling, we were doing really extreme 4 wheeling. We were in places that either we would have to get a life flight and still have to walk someone out aways to meet the life flight if they could get in somewhere. We have been lucky in all the time we were doing that we never had anything major happen. Not everyone will feel comfortable having them and using them. Just like some aren't comfortable with epi pens. We also carry those. If you are trained to use them properly like anything else it's a tool in your medical kit. You have it if the situation warrants it. I can't tell you how many minor things we would have happen,but Glenn and I were the only ones prepared for it. It's something not many think about.

OK, I'm not trying to bust chops or anything, just again, I'd be curious as to an example of when you would suture someone?

I'd also be curious as to what you are doing with epi pens, do you guys have specific allergies, or are you just carrying them in case you happen upon someone esp. in trouble?

Back
Top Bottom