First Defense Shotgun Recommendations

Depends on:

*How competent the owner is at gun maintenance;
*How competent the owner is at shooting and reloading a shotgun;
*How much the owner wants to accessorize the gun; and
*If the owner ever intends to compete with the gun.

Get training or compete with a shotgun to understand the pros and cons of the shotgun as a defensive and offensive tool.

Another noob thread, this time about 12 gauge pump shotguns! I’ve narrowed it down to Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, or Kel-Tec. I can’t buy a model from each manufacturer, yet. I am willing to spend $300-850. What do you guys think?

Edit: I live in a “Granny state.“
870 20g youth with mag extension

If youre set on a pump thats strictly for a defensive role id get a mossberg 590 of some kind. I had a newly made remington 870 tactical years ago i got at dicks. Looked good, had the right features but it would randomly lock up completely sometimes. Couldnt cycle the action and inexplicably unlock and start working again. It also rusted just from looking at it.

Wondering if you have any thoughts of hunting or skeet? If so just make sure you get something you could find a longer barrel for.

Lastly, are you set on a pump? I bought a Mossberg 930 semiauto a couple years ago and its been awesome. Its cycled every birdshot load ive ever fed it and been carried through rain and snow without missing a beat. The finish has held up great through it all too and i havent babied it at all. There are lots of tactical/hunting configurations you can buy too. The tang safety is something i prefer even as a righthander. I think i paid $500 for mine and i love it.

If youre set on a pump thats strictly for a defensive role id get a mossberg 590 of some kind. I had a newly made remington 870 tactical years ago i got at dicks. Looked good, had the right features but it would randomly lock up completely sometimes. Couldnt cycle the action and inexplicably unlock and start working again. It also rusted just from looking at it.

Wondering if you have any thoughts of hunting or skeet? If so just make sure you get something you could find a longer barrel for.

Lastly, are you set on a pump? I bought a Mossberg 930 semiauto a couple years ago and its been awesome. Its cycled every birdshot load ive ever fed it and been carried through rain and snow without missing a beat. The finish has held up great through it all too and i havent babied it at all. There are lots of tactical/hunting configurations you can buy too. The tang safety is something i prefer even as a righthander. I think i paid $500 for mine and i love it.
I actually like the Mossberg 930 idea. Kind of like an affordable M1014.

Remington, Mossberg, Winchester
go to a gun shop when you can and buy the cheapest used pump gun you can. problem solved. or you can get caught up in the newest and best-est and drop a grand. the guy you're gonna be shootin' doesn't really give a shit what you're blasting him with so the only ones that will be impressed with the hardware is you and the cop logging it into the evidence locker.

I actually like the Mossberg 930 idea. Kind of like an affordable M1014.
Definitely more affordable. Im not sure if its exactly your cup of tea but if i wanted a more tactical model the JM Pro version is pretty sweet. Because of the top mounted safety id probably avoid a pistol grip model.

Definitely more affordable. Im not sure if its exactly your cup of tea but if i wanted a more tactical model the JM Pro version is pretty sweet. Because of the top mounted safety id probably avoid a pistol grip model.
That’s exactly what I read about in a review from a quick Google search. Also, I heard Jerry Miculek used a Mossberg 930 SPX for competition which is always good to know.

That’s exactly what I read about in a review from a quick Google search. Also, I heard Jerry Miculek used a Mossberg 930 SPX for competition which is always good to know.

Lol, Jerry Miculek influence the design of the Jerry Miculek Pro. And the new 940.

I own a 930 JM Pro and it would suffice for home defense. Again, if you buy one, refrain from throwing hundreds of dollars of crap on it and instead buy cases of shells and go shoot a match or five with it.

Lol, Jerry Miculek influence the design of the Jerry Miculek Pro. And the new 940.

I own a 930 JM Pro and it would suffice for home defense. Again, if you buy one, refrain from throwing hundreds of dollars of crap on it and instead buy cases of shells and go shoot a match or five with it.
Hopefully I can find one in Mass

Hopefully I can find one in Mass

From what I've heard and read, the earlier ones had many issues. I bought mine used for $400 (here in RI) and its never had a single malfunction. I use it as a 3-gun shotgun and primarily shoot Winchester AAs. I've shot random other birdshot loads out of it like some old steel cased Silver Bear shells and whatever else that's come up, but its generally been a reliable gun.

Post a WTB.

Am I the only one who thinks Remington 870 is a better quality firearm than the Mossy 500?

And I second the earlier suggestion of a Remington 870 Marine. Now that's a nice piece of equipment.

Well now I’m torn between going for a classic pump and a semi-auto! The decision between manufacturers was tough enough.

For a defensive shotgun, there's really not that much of a difference between the two, assuming the owner puts in the time and practice to become proficient. A proficient shooter with plenty of loading, firing, and pumping practice can get rather fast and accurate with a pump. A semi also isn't going to automatically make a shooter faster because of issues like the recoil (even 12-gauge target loads generate a fair amount of recoil), target acquisition, and reloading.

If you're willing to practice daily with a pump, you'll be fine with a pump. If you're less willing, practice with a semi. Edit: this is ignoring detachable-mag fed shotguns. That makes loading a much quicker process.

The semi autos are super tempting, but at near double the price of a regular shotgun, you have to personally weigh whether its worth it and if budget allows

For a defensive shotgun, there's really not that much of a difference between the two, assuming the owner puts in the time and practice to become proficient. A proficient shooter with plenty of loading, firing, and pumping practice can get rather fast and accurate with a pump. A semi also isn't going to automatically make a shooter faster because of issues like the recoil (even 12-gauge target loads generate a fair amount of recoil), target acquisition, and reloading.

If you're willing to practice daily with a pump, you'll be fine with a pump. If you're less willing, practice with a semi. Edit: this is ignoring detachable-mag fed shotguns. That makes loading a much quicker process.

This pretty much says it in my case. I have both a pump and a semi. I can mag dump faster with the semi no questions asked but I am a better shooter with the pump and not that far behind in speed with it. With my semi auto I find that the last round or two tend to be a pray and spray and the pump seem to be deliberate.

If it matters my pump shotgun is ready to go and my semi auto is in the safe.

My next shotgun is a Beretta 1301 tactical
Love mine. That being said to get this in your head it appears the American made ones (my guess, it might just be a dropped price, but the the reason I think it’s American is a new separate SKU instead of just a price drop) are going to be hitting distributors soon as there has been a noticeable price drop in cost and the minimum advertised price on a new listing of the standard model. Buds appears to have it listed already though it appears to be a sale. The new price will be closer to 1,000 than the 1100 they were.

Also Langdon Tactical has a new release of the 1301 that might suite some people’s interest and is still cheaper than most Benelli shotguns.
DAEBD0BA-D509-48DE-8809-95402509DF10.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom