First pistol and hello, new to the forum.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Sterg, welcome to the forums. As a relatively new guy myself the only advice I can give you is to recognize that you're never going to find "the one perfect gun for all occasions and I'll never need another" so just reconcile yourself to the fact that you'll have several very shortly. With that, I'd say get the SR22 for a practice gun as it's cheap to feed (I love my MKIII for that) while working on the basics or just target shooting. I believe the layout and feel of everything is the same as all the others in the SR line (I could be wrong here) so it's easy to then pick up something in a 9mm or 40 (full size or compact) that feels familiar but has the punch to be a reasonable defense weapon. Of course, if all you've got is the 22 when the bad guy comes around, better to have that than just harsh language.

I have an SR22 and an SR40c... almost identical in the breakdown, layout, and feel. Pretty much the same except for the kick and the size of the rounds. I have the .40 for home defense, but the .22 is cheap to shoot, and super fun.

Sterg said:
Thanks again everyone. I just picked up an SR22. I have made a consious desision not to conceal carry for now, except going to a range possibly. I saw a used 9mm beretta that was stunning. My next gun will be a 9mm. Right now I need to get some shooting in and I like the quality and safety featurs of the Ruger. That Beretta was a nice quality pistol.

Congrats on the SR22! I'm thinking of doing the same thing once I finally get my license (as long as I can resist the urge to buy a 9mm at the same time...)

[horse]

I would never rely on any .380 round for self defense. I remember drgrant saying something before about the .380's minimal expansion even with JHP's. IMHO, this is one of the most valuable pieces of info on NES:

The fact that the bullet is only 90 grains and has a muzzle velocity under 1000 feet per second only holds true to the weakness of the .380. Here's another good example. A 90 grain bullet has roughly 190 ft lbs of kinetic energy. A 115 grain 9mm bullet has roughly 383 ft lbs and you can get it up to 440 ft lbs by using a +p bullet (if your gun can withstand that pressure.) If that doesn't sell you on 9mm or above I don't know what will. I mean the 9mm has more energy at 150 yards than the .380 does at the muzzle.

I had a .380 and sold it because I could never find ammo for it and when I did, it was around 17$ on the low end. Sure you can find some 13$ boxes sometimes but it would be steel cased and I would never put those in my gun.

Long rant end. [wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18

I suggest you watch this.

.380 is not where it was 20 years ago. Is it the ideal self defense round? HELL NO.

But this is the round that comes in guns that you can stick in your pocket and forget about, NEVER have to worry about getting made in, and generally requires none of the PITA stuff that goes hand in hand with SD CC on an every-day basis.

I don't leave my house without a gun on my person. Sometimes, especially in winter or fall or spring, this is no biggy. In summer when I have to wear special clothing just to conceal my 40, 45 or 9mm, it's a pain in the ass to carry, particularly when I'm "only going down to the corner store."

.380 will stop the vast majority of attackers, most of the time with proper shot placement. So will 9mm. I'm not making this stuff up, this is the result of police and civilian SD experience.

First off, you'd better realize that a significant number of attackers will run like Hell just at the sight of ANY gun.

For those that won't, there are precious few that will be able and willing to continue an attack with two, inch+-wide holes in their thoracic cavity to a depth of 10-11 inches. That's the kind of wound that the .380 with proper defensive rounds produces.

Yes, I train my students with failure to stop drills. But those drills are for people who will be equally unfazed with .357 Sig, 10mm or .45 ACP as they will from a .380. The idea that caliber (unless it's something ridiculous like a .40 grain .22 that misfires every 10 rounds) makes all that much difference is silly until you get to the edges. At the edges, I've seen as much FTS from .45 as I have from 9mm. Personally I havecome to the conclusion that:

A: Shot placement is king, period, end of story
B: any round capable of dealing an inch-wide hole to a depth of 9 inches or more through clothing is sufficient for almost all comers. The guys that won't be stopped by 9mm won't be stopped by the same number of .45 in the same places. This is why we practice head-shots.

Congrats on the SR22! I'm thinking of doing the same thing once I finally get my license (as long as I can resist the urge to buy a 9mm at the same time...)

I was pondering on waiting and getting the 9 mm myself. Just the shear beauty of the SR22 got me. I got to play with a 45 vaquero too. What a nice single action. It felt indistructable. Someday.....

Welcome to the forum sterg. You've received a ton of great advice already in this thread and I'll just add one tidbit.

That Beretta you saw today... They are really nice guns. But before you buy something that size for a CCW, try it out first with whatever holster you think you'd be using. It is a big, full size service automatic. I never got comfortable carrying the one I had a few years ago, yet I'm perfectly fine carrying a fullsize 1911 or a Glock 19.

Some guys can conceal a 92FS just fine. I guess it all depends on your body type, size, and clothing.

I'm looking at the S&W J frame revolvers now. I think that will be my next purchace. Fired an older one and loved it. Felt like it was made for my hand.

I'm looking at the S&W J frame revolvers now. I think that will be my next purchace. Fired an older one and loved it. Felt like it was made for my hand.

You are not alone. There is something special about a Smith and Wesson revolver. I love mine and know that I will add more to my collection

Hi everyone. new to the forum. I just got my LTC. At first I was thinking my first firearm was going to be a .357 Vaquero. I really love this revolver.Maybe it will be my second. After looking around ln the web and advice from other people ai have decided to get a Ruger SR22. Looking at my brothers I like the added safety features of it as well as being cheap to shoot being a 22.
I would like to get some opinions if anyone has this pistol. It is small enough to conceal so what do people thing of carrying a 22 for protection, and of course, please post some picturesif you have any.
Thanks

Welcome Aboard!

.22? only if it's all ya got. I'd look at, at least a .380 for carry and that's kinda "downsized" but still doable. 9mm would be a good initial carry and it's not to expensive to shoot for proficiency compared to the larger calibers.

You'll find a lot of helpful people here that will give you good advice, so don't be afraid to ask a question.

Again, Welcome!

Thanks again guys for the welcome. I will go green, just a matter of time. The 2'nd is the most important. Some say join the NRA, others say join GOAL.

Whats better to join for Mass.?

l

l

Back
Top Bottom