First time .45 ammo

Purchasing my first gun soon (s&w 1911) and it's starting to come down to the time where I start thinking about what range ammo I want to buy. I've heard some good stuff about CCI blazer and Winchester white box. I am just looking for something to shoot at the range not self defense. I look forward to hearing your wisdom!

Blazer is cheap, but seems to always go bang. I'd steer clear of Wolf if you can find other stuff, it's always gone bang for me, but it's really dirty and the whole steel case on steel extractor thing gives me the heeby jeebies. I've also had good luck with American Eagle. Brass cased stuff like the American Eagle and WWB seems preferred, Blazer is aluminum cased.

With the current price and availability of .45 to feed my 1911, I tend to just get whatever I can find. You may also find that different ammo runs differently in your gun compared to others, shoot it all, see what you like best.

A 1911 was my first gun, as well, though mine is a Springfield. Enjoy it! Congrats on making the right choice of gun [wink]

Walmart had some of the bulk pack of Reminton 45 it was $84.00 for 250 rounds packed in one box with 5 plastic trays holding 50 each. The way its packed they just can's split open the bulk packs and sell them off 50 at a time. I shot some in steel plate shoots then went out and bought more.

Wolf gave me FTF problems in my S&W 1911. Otherwise, I've used PMC, WWB, Federal, American Eagle, etc. and they all feed and fire properly.

The Wolf problems occurred when just practicing (at least one FTF in each mag, so only fired 50-100 rds before selling off the rest of the case).

I've used the other brands during practice as well as during intensive handgun classes where we shot 7-800 rds in 3 days (w/o cleaning the gun during the class) flawlessly. If I were to guess, I probably have 5k+ thru that gun with no problems (same mags and gun as with the Wolf).

Last edited:
Hmmm I'll be going to cabellas in Hartford sometime within the next couple days. Any suggestions on what to pick up there? Since I have the cash i'll pick up whatever I can, just need a good/reliable brand

Jay, read my comments above your reply (I just edited them to add more info).

Hmmm I'm leaning more towards Winchester then. It sells in bulk, and seems to have pretty good reviews. I can't wait to pick this pistol up. I'm at 4 weeks on my LTC wait....feels like 4 months.

I've never been a fan of the Blazer aluminum cased. Don't like how it ejects and I've had the occasional FTF with it. WWB and Remmington UMC both work fine for me for inexpensive range ammo.

Another person here who likes the 250 round UMC packs from Walmart ($85) when you can find them. If not, I buy the Winchester White box 100ct boxes. Both seem to work fine and are relatively cheap.

JayD:
Although not along the I84 corridor, you might stop by Riverview Sales in East Windsor, too. I can't give you any specific price data, but I know they have expanded and offer much more in the ammunition and reloading areas.
http://riverviewsales.net/

Last edited:
Well as an update (for anyone interested) I bought a value pack of Remmington UMC for 49 bucks as well as a box of magtech for 23. There was no winchester to be found in .45 so I had to do a little googling as I was browzing. Everywhere I went online the Magtech seemed to be raved about so I bought it just to try it out. I will definitely be going back as soon as I get into the gun club and can use it!

Jay, Just always buy brass case ammo and save your brass. UMC , Winchester and Blazer brass will all do what you want to do at this point in time until you decide to start reloading. You can always sell the brass if you decide not to reload. If you got a couple extra bucks just put it in the ammo fund so if your walking in Wally world or Dicks and there is some grab it. Heritage Gun here in RI has lots of 45 in most brands.
Dave

four seasons in woborn has federal american eagle 250rnd loose packed for 99.00.....not great but not bad. .45 has been tough to find in my area.

Jay, Just always buy brass case ammo and save your brass. UMC , Winchester and Blazer brass will all do what you want to do at this point in time until you decide to start reloading. You can always sell the brass if you decide not to reload. If you got a couple extra bucks just put it in the ammo fund so if your walking in Wally world or Dicks and there is some grab it. Heritage Gun here in RI has lots of 45 in most brands.
Dave

This.

Everybody that reloads wants once fired brass, and many will pay you for it. I also feel brass cased ammo should be safer for your gun than steel, and safer for you than aluminum. An accidental overcharge from the factory in an aluminum case seems as though it could get dangerous in a hurry. Also, aluminum is useless for reloading, as is steel for the most part.

For all the benefits of brass cased ammo, I see no reason not to use it.

I've never been a fan of the Blazer aluminum cased. Don't like how it ejects and I've had the occasional FTF with it.
The aluminum cased stuff always ejected straight for my head out of my sw1911. I only tried it because I was looking for something less dirty than WWB and the WinClean stuff never feed reliably.

Back
Top Bottom