First time gun show question

E

emil02

I have never been to a gun show i have my class a ltc and a friend of mine is waiting to get his in the mail i was wondering if he would need a class a to attend one of these shows.

If he's waiting for his LTC that must mean he took a safety course. Just have him bring his certificate. I'll guess that'd satisfy some dealers.

You're egregiously misinformed.

A mere safety certificate is hardly a substitute for an FID card, still less an LTC. [rolleyes]

That said, the only thing needed to attend a show is enough money for the admission fee.

If he's waiting for his LTC that must mean he took a safety course. Just have him bring his certificate. I'll guess that'd satisfy some dealers.

Nobody is going to care about any certificate or medals either! [wink]

If the show is NH, nobody is going to get "carded" to look at a gun . . . since no licenses are required to own guns in "free states".

Only in MA (and maybe 1 or 2 other commie states) do subjects need a permit to merely own a firearm, ammo or mags. MOST MA dealers (when at MA gun shows or in their shops) will request a permit before letting you handle anything. This is NOT a law requirement, but more a CYA practice since they have "big brother" breathing over their shoulders all the time looking for "mistakes". If this is a shop requirement, no certificates, military IDs, good conduct medals, or NRA membership cards are going to substitute for the "real thing".

As for getting into a show, the show promoters make their money on the "gate", so they will smile as they take your money, regardless of whether or not you can buy or touch anything.

Scriv, will you please shut it?

The gun show in NH has ENDED.

The next one, which I assume he is referring to, is the one in MA.

Its not required by law, but many dealers like to see proof that whoever wants to handle their guns is not some idiot off the street.

I figure if he shows at least SOMETHING that proves he's not one of those idiots, and the fact that he is with an LTC holder, a dealer wouldn't mind letting him handle a gun. Although when I, a mere teenager attended the show, I just asked if I could pick up a gun, and all but one dealer said sure. Pick up the gun, check the chamber, the end. No hassles.

Maybe I'm wrong about the certificate thing. Flame me.

Last edited:
All of which completely glosses over the simple fact that the certificate from the course was brought up entirely in the context of dealers who insist on seeing a license simply to examine a gun. It had nothing to do with the legal requirements to purchase or own a gun. Since there's no legal requirement for one to have either an FID or an LTC to examine any firearm, the "requirements" that need to be satisfied are entirely in the mind of the owner. Some won't require anything; some will insist on a license and proof of enough cash or credit to buy the firearm; some will fall between these two extremes. Some of the last group might insist on "something", in which case the certificate might well do.

Ken

Scriv, will you please shut it?

Not as long as you continue to befoul the forum with ignorance and irrelevance. [slap]

The gun show in NH has ENDED.

The next one, which I assume he is referring to, is the one in MA.

You - and ONLY you - think the Manchester, NH show is relevant to this discussion. Moreover, as you admit, the upcoming MA show is almost certainly what the OP is concerned with. Since the OP expressly referred to having an "ltc," he is clearly a MA resident. It logically follows (no doubt where we lost you) that he is concerned with requirements, whether by law or policy, of dealers at MA shows.

While possessing an LTC is not, as has been noted, required by law just to handle a gun, those dealers which do require showing a license before letting their merchandise be handled will not be mollified by a mere safety certificate. Your assurances, guesses or predictions to the contrary add nothing of substance to those facts.

Go back to playing HALO or whatever it is you do. [rolleyes]

Not as long as you continue to befoul the forum with ignorance and irrelevance.

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather be ignorant on a subject than have no social skills whatsoever. I hope you aren't this rude to your children or friends (if applicable).

With my experience with MA gun shows... ahh who cares. Just bring money. With enough money you can do anything you want (just ask the Kennedys).

Last edited:
Hmmm... The way I understand the law is you need an LTC to be in possession of a firearm outside of your residence or business.

This part is WRONG! You can not possess ANY firearm or ammo INSIDE your residence/business or OUTSIDE without the proper permit, period! NO EXCEPTIONS (except in the presence of a licensed party).

The above is NOT new, it's been the law since before I started shooting in 1976.

The rest of your statement in the prior post is correct.

An FID is for the possession of low capacity long guns, ammo, and chemical sprays (no pistols whatsoever). I may just be befouling the forum with my ignorance, but I'm fairly sure that an FID/LTC has no relevence as to whether you may possess inside or outside your home.

Last edited:
Chapter 140: Section 129C. Application of Sec. 129B; ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition; transfers; report to executive director; exemptions; exhibiting license to carry, etc.

Section 129C. No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

No person shall sell, give away, loan or otherwise transfer a rifle or shotgun or ammunition other than (a) by operation of law, or (b) to an exempt person as hereinafter described, or (c) to a licensed dealer, or (d) to a person who displays his firearm identification card, or license to carry a pistol or revolver.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;

As for pistols, give me a minute...

edit: I don't see any mention of FID pertaining to handguns or pertaining to being inside one's residence.

edit 2: I checked out definitions. Here's what I got for "firearm".

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131P, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-

“Firearm”, a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches...

So a "firearm" is basically a pistol. If you look above at "m", you will notice that "firearms", aka handguns, can only be held by someone in the presence of an LTC holder (or obviously by an LTC holder himself). Then it goes on to specifically mention long guns and FID.

Again, no mention of one's residence. So I'm going to say no, one cannot possess a handgun with an FID even in one's residence.

Last edited:
ATTN MIS-INFORMATION CENTRAL! [wink]

Until 1998, you could possess (in the home/business but not transport) any handgun/rifle/shotgun/chemical spray on a mere FID card. LTCs were strictly for carry of any gun (except machine gun) or transporting a handgun plus it also "trumped" the FID in all regards.

Ch. 180 of the Acts of 1998 and now totally incorporated in Ch. 140 of MGLs in 1998 changed all this:

- FID NO LONGER protects you wrt possession of a handgun or hi-cap rifle/shotgun/mag ANYWHERE. You need a LTC for that.

- FID is ONLY good for long guns (and mags/ammo for same) that are low-capacity as defined in Ch. 140. [FID-C is good for the above plus chemical sprays. FID-D or "restricted FID" is good ONLY for chemical sprays and nothing else.]

- LTC-B is the minimum requirement for possession/purchase/transport of any low-cap handguns/ammo for same. It also covers ANY rifle/shotgun/chemical sprays and ammo/mags for same (hi-cap mags are covered for rifles/shotguns).

- LTC-A trumps all and covers ALL handguns/rifles/shotguns/chemical sprays and mags/ammo for them.

Confused yet? [What prior posters stated went away with the "lifetime FIDs" when the Commiewealth punched all our tickets and changed the rules in 1998. I hope this ends the confusion, at least on this point.

HTH

I give up!

Before anyone takes the above advice, I suggest talking directly with your local DA to get his/her reading on the law.

I'm out of this discussion! My head hurts. I thought we left Don S in the distant past <inside comment for former MAF'rs>!

LenS,

I don't mean to be a pain, I'm not giving advice, I am just asking questions. I'm just confused from reading the law myself.( maybe that's my first mistake.) and am trying to understand what the law says. personnally I have a LTC, but I am very confused.

Wow, I don't know who Don S is, but it sounds like I don't want to be compared to him. I guess I'm done asking questions and will delete my posts so as not to give anybody any bad info.

Guess I'll just stick to my job and the classifieds

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom